Why is my car steaming up all the time!! Grrrr

Found 5th Nov 2012
Apart from being a hot sexy beast, I can not think of a reason why the windows in my car steam up all the time when I get in to drive.

The AC is on all the time which obviously uses more fuel than I should need to, but this is the only way to combat the steamyness.

Any ideas? Does this happen to everyone else?
Community Updates
MiscCarSteam
72 Comments
Someone's pished in it.
You seem to get a lot of problems with that crappy golf of yours....
I once heard that once you start using the AC to clear it, it gets worse and you need the AC to clear it all of the time.

Might be bs, but a couple of different people told me.
On a serious note

Providing there is no water in your car, or damp seats and carpets, the only reason it will steam up is because there is no fresh air coming into the car.
Make sure that the control switch is not on re-circulation and on the setting that allows outside air into the car and then have a look at the pollen filter (if fitted) to make sure that it is not blocked.
All this is assuming that the heater matrix is not leaking into the car.
calum c

You seem to get a lot of problems with that crappy golf of yours....

Well if there were a race between my crappy golf and your fake GTR, I think mine would win hands down.
sancho1983

I once heard that once you start using the AC to clear it, it gets worse … I once heard that once you start using the AC to clear it, it gets worse and you need the AC to clear it all of the time.Might be bs, but a couple of different people told me.

That makes sense.
Broken/faulty seals around the windows can cause it.
sancho1983

I once heard that once you start using the AC to clear it, it gets worse … I once heard that once you start using the AC to clear it, it gets worse and you need the AC to clear it all of the time.Might be bs, but a couple of different people told me.

Well, the AC makes the air dryer, which effectively sucks the moisture off the windows, but, it also makes them cold, so when you turn it off the moisture condenses on there quickly!
aircanman

Well if there were a race between my crappy golf and your fake GTR, I … Well if there were a race between my crappy golf and your fake GTR, I think mine would win hands down.

The funny thing is, my GTR is real
calum c

So you say Calum, so you say. There are lots of threads that would say otherwise little boy.
calum c

Why do you speak about it in the current tense when you sold it?
Benjimoron

Well, the AC makes the air dryer, which effectively sucks the moisture … Well, the AC makes the air dryer, which effectively sucks the moisture off the windows, but, it also makes them cold, so when you turn it off the moisture condenses on there quickly!

Yer I have the AC on hot at the moment, this could be the issue though you are right. Problem is breaking the habit, if I turn off the AC, the whole car takes about 10 mins to demist, and then while driving I have to have the fans on hot which I hate.
sancho1983

Oh no, apparently he sold it and bought a new one straight away.......
Benjimoron

Well, the AC makes the air dryer, which effectively sucks the moisture … Well, the AC makes the air dryer, which effectively sucks the moisture off the windows, but, it also makes them cold, so when you turn it off the moisture condenses on there quickly!

They seemed to be saying that once you have started using it to clear it you will have to then use it to clear it 'forever'. You would have thought that a summer would have 're-stabilised' the screen. Mine still seems to need AC on to do it though
sancho1983

They seemed to be saying that once you have started using it to clear it … They seemed to be saying that once you have started using it to clear it you will have to then use it to clear it 'forever'. You would have thought that a summer would have 're-stabilised' the screen. Mine still seems to need AC on to do it though

It really does my head in, I can get in the car when the windows are clear, as soon as I start up the fans blow air on the screen which mists them up, then when the AC kicks in it sorts it out.

Had the same issue in a BMW saloon about 5 years ago, not happened in all my other cars though.
aircanman

It really does my head in, I can get in the car when the windows are … It really does my head in, I can get in the car when the windows are clear, as soon as I start up the fans blow air on the screen which mists them up, then when the AC kicks in it sorts it out. Had the same issue in a BMW saloon about 5 years ago, not happened in all my other cars though.

No, you're lying. All German cars are perfect. Everyone knows that. (_;)
RonChew

No, you're lying. All German cars are perfect. Everyone knows that. (_;)

This one has been a right pain in the ****.
calum c

sancho1983

calum, calum, calum.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/giles/spiders_110611/son-i-am-disappoint1re2.jpg&sa=X&ei=NUCYUNH2MqSs0QXky4H4Bg&ved=0CAoQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNHLUJ1DNHvRxMvOz9stMhOAWyDxcA
dga

Drain blocked, water pooling.

In the car?
Leaking heater matrix. Then bang ! Feet soaked in boiling water when your on the outside lane doing 85 and the windscream fills wth thick sticky steam----- AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!! BANG!....................THE END.
dga

Yep. "Usually when it's really wet on the inside it's because water is … Yep. "Usually when it's really wet on the inside it's because water is leaking into the cabin.If your able to notice if the carpets are slightly damp then your drainage tubes for your moon roof could be clogged. There are 4 drains one in each corner of the moon roof, you should be able to unblock these line just with some pressurized air. There is also a plastic cover that is at the bottom of the windshield that has a drain or two which also might be clogged could be fixed the same way just with air. If it's not from the clogged drains and easy fix is leaving your windows slightly cracked open, you could also by window vent visors so that way you could leave your windows slightly open without letting water in, in-case it's raining"Or your air recirculation flap is stuck closed. http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100324235710AAcCYLG

I dont have a moon roof or drains lol, but thanks for finding that, I will check the recirculation thing, but I am sure that is working fine.
mumbojumbo

Put front and rear windscreen heaters on and blast the front windscreen … Put front and rear windscreen heaters on and blast the front windscreen with the ac to warm the glass.If you just warm the air and especially if you set the ac to recirculate then that warm air will just hit cold glass and condense. (_;)

Obviously I turn the heat up and put AC on, directing the air to the front window, but I don't understand why it is so bad every time I get into the car. There doesn't seem to be a leak, the floors are dry, the boot is dry.
dga

All cars have drains, the area at the base if the windscreen is favourite … All cars have drains, the area at the base if the windscreen is favourite for blocking especially at this time of year due to leaves collecting in there.

Ah right I know now, external drains, no these are all fine I check these regularly.
dga

I get a little steaming when using the AC initially but mine is on auto … I get a little steaming when using the AC initially but mine is on auto always. I'd get in the corners of the car interior to check for damp patches.

Yer I will do, annoying thing was I cleaned the windows tonight, when I got into the car the rear window was soaking wet, it cleared after about half hour with the rear element on, surely this is not right!
Sorry, I could only pay attention to the first few replies ...
... aren't all cars like this?

You get in .
You, the hubby and the dog all breathe.
The car steams up.
You put the AC and the fans on full.
After a bit it clears.

It doesn't matter if there is even standing water in the car. We have had a leak around the rear lights and there has been several cms of water in the boot - made no difference at all to the 'steaminess'. Make what you will of that. It's fixed now!
another retarded thread.

hot air on cold glass creates condensation, go back to school ffs

not knowing you have thrush now this X)
chesso

Sorry, I could only pay attention to the first few replies ... ... aren't … Sorry, I could only pay attention to the first few replies ... ... aren't all cars like this?You get in . You, the hubby and the dog all breathe.The car steams up. You put the AC and the fans on full.After a bit it clears.It doesn't matter if there is even standing water in the car. We have had a leak around the rear lights and there has been several cms of water in the boot - made no difference at all to the 'steaminess'. Make what you will of that. It's fixed now!

I dunno, never had to have the AC on in my last 4 cars like this one, I had a BMW saloon which was terrible for it, this seems to be the same. You have to remember some cars dont have AC, so what do they do?
casparwhite

another retarded thread.hot air on cold glass creates condensation, go … another retarded thread.hot air on cold glass creates condensation, go back to school ffsnot knowing you have thrush now this X)

So you recommend cold air on cold glass to remove condensation?
Scrap it
aircanman

So you recommend cold air on cold glass to remove condensation?

some people are just born useless is all i can say.

then you die
casparwhite

some people are just born useless is all i can say.then you die

Come on then.. You are just like Calum, joining the big boys for a convo without any experience whatsoever, do you even know how to drive a car without a remote control?
DLM

Scrap it

Was thinking about it tbh.
aircanman

I dunno, never had to have the AC on in my last 4 cars like this one, I … I dunno, never had to have the AC on in my last 4 cars like this one, I had a BMW saloon which was terrible for it, this seems to be the same. You have to remember some cars dont have AC, so what do they do?

I wouldn't in a million years claim to have any sort of car-related knowledge but, back in the day, no 'ordinary' cars had AC.
You open the windows, wipe down the windscreen with cloths, switch on the fan and don't set off until you can see......
chesso

I wouldn't in a million years claim to have any sort of car-related … I wouldn't in a million years claim to have any sort of car-related knowledge but, back in the day, no 'ordinary' cars had AC. You open the windows, wipe down the windscreen with cloths, switch on the fan and don't set off until you can see......

youre pretty much saying what ive just said in a more tactful way chesso

i prefer the direct route

dga - I was thinking that this night of all nights, I might just make my push for the final comment on every thread on the front page.

Now that you have foiled my attempt. I might as well say that I have never really understood 'dew point'. Also, mention 'mean free path ' to me and I have nightmares.

Tis true though that the standing water does not seem to be a contributory factor in my Toyota Yaris .

CW - get your T-shirt off!!

chesso

I wouldn't in a million years claim to have any sort of car-related … I wouldn't in a million years claim to have any sort of car-related knowledge but, back in the day, no 'ordinary' cars had AC. You open the windows, wipe down the windscreen with cloths, switch on the fan and don't set off until you can see......

I have never had to wipe a window with a cloth, when my cars had no AC it was a simple heating on, fans up which would do the trick.
dga

Standing water is the indicator not always the cause. A wet heater … Standing water is the indicator not always the cause. A wet heater matrix/evaporator/fan will cause this and it's a common fault given that its externally fed, leaks are usually seen below these devices (indicator). My money is on the recirculation flap.

I'm quite confident that the flap is ok tbh, but I will check and report back in the morro.
check your pollen filter,check heater isnt set to recirc
Which year Golf is it? As suggested, check the pollen filter has been fitted properly, often they are not put back on properly, you should be able to feel the damp in the passenger footwell if that is the case. Also if you have a sun roof, check the seals and clean then. Also, check the rear screen washer - does it actually spray water onto the screen - if not then you could be squirting it into the boot as the hose can detach itself.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4su5gAHDs1ru35woo1_500.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants