Why is my internet speed faster on my phone than on the MacBook?

Posted 3rd Oct
I’m on the Virgin Media m500 broadband and 2 speed tests show up completely different. The MacBook was 89 Mbps and IPhone was 400Mbps. Both were done over WiFi 1 minute apart and from the same distance. Do I need to change settings on my MacBook? Thanks

3304235-EtYd4.jpg
3304235-ywe7g.jpg
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
Stumbled in here...now I’m curious as to why as well. 😁
What macbook is it?
Your Macbook could have an outdated WiFi card. My old ASUS laptop was limited to 30Mbps because of a crappy WiFi card, it was much faster when using a wired connection.
Edited by: "m3racer123" 3rd Oct
Very likely to do with the WiFi version of both devices, I'm guessing the MacBook isn't even AC?
m3racer12303/10/2019 21:45

Your Macbook could have an outdated WiFi card. My old ASUS laptop was …Your Macbook could have an outdated WiFi card. My old ASUS laptop was limited to 30Mbps because of a crappy WiFi card, it was much faster when using a wired connection.

Is this something I can buy and replace or is it a matter of needing a newer Mac?
Also, how do speed tests work? Do you have to download a 100mb file or something?

If so, it could be that devices/software more optimised for file download rather than file access do better, or different ram levels for example?

I don't know what I'm talking about 😔
Purchase a usb AC WiFi adapter
mds125603/10/2019 21:57

Purchase a usb AC WiFi adapter

If it's not usb3 it's not worth it
thomasleep03/10/2019 22:00

Sorry op this nothing to do with your post, I am wondering just how much …Sorry op this nothing to do with your post, I am wondering just how much the mod at the moment is prepared to ignore me so here we go the repaeted messages!! with not even the decency to reply is a load of bollocks poo and crap, would you like more explicit comments before you actually do sometihng??

Maybe post it in feedback you normally get a quick response
jayonline8503/10/2019 21:54

Is this something I can buy and replace or is it a matter of needing a …Is this something I can buy and replace or is it a matter of needing a newer Mac?

On many Windows laptops you just replace the WiFi card but Apple demands a bigger sacrifice (from your wallet) 😁

On a more serious note you could try a USB WiFi AC device.
The iPhone speed seems like it will be using the 5GHz channels.
The MacBook speed is a peculiar level = 89.78Mbps.
That is beyond 1 stream 802.11n narrow channel, requiring either 2 stream narrow, or 1 stream wide - you could try setting the highest speed for 2.4GHz on the hub, but congestion may prevent wide channel usage automatically.
Hold down the option key (the alt key with the -_ bit on it) and click the wifi symbol, it will show you extra info. Check the connection speed (Tx Rate:) There was an issue between my MBP and the wifi router where it was not connecting to it with AC protocol despite other devices in the house using 802.11ac the MBP would not. Got the BT whole home wifi system a few months ago now the Mac says 878Mbps which works fine for me. Also suggest changing the 5GHz channel number, you can get apps for your phone that can scan wifi and show you which channels are free/less congested. Don't leave it on "auto"
Edited by: "sirsmokesalot" 4th Oct
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants