Why is perfume and aftershave so expensive?

40 replies
40 Comments

Banned

because people pay a lot of money to smell like victoria beckham or jade goody

because the companies who make them are thieves. because people are crazy enough to pay the prices asked.

the make up/beauty industry are in competition with the pharmaceutical companies to see who can extort the most cash out of the buying public:whistling:

jubbyme;8043829

because people pay a lot of money to smell like victoria beckham or jade … because people pay a lot of money to smell like victoria beckham or jade goody

I dont want to smell like Jade Goody TBH, no hate

classic item of high value for gifts, usually shows you put some money into the gift, so they hike it up even mroe lol

jubbyme;8043829

because people pay a lot of money to smell like victoria beckham or jade … because people pay a lot of money to smell like victoria beckham or jade goody

might wanna rethink the jade goody one m8:whistling:

Banned

skusey;8043840

I dont want to smell like Jade Goody TBH, no hate

She won't be smelling too good right now.

rotting flesh and mud yum

Banned

I can't wear them :cry:

DLM;8043873

I can't wear them :cry:

you must stink

Banned

numptyj;8043880

you must stink

Nope

If you attach a "designer" or "celebrity" name people will buy it.
Doesn't have to be expensive. hotukdeals.com/ite…le-

you can easily get umbro stuff from poundland...but it smells like crap

I get a couple of bottles for work from next its bout £12 for 100ml i think which isn't too bad.

and then maybe get slightly more expensive stuff, Boss Ralph Lauren for going out as they smell better.

But the main thing is the name, why are designer clothes so expensive, a lot of the time because they have a name stuck on them, granted their will be some clothing which is made to a higher quality etc but it al revolves around the media if X celebrity wears this etc then its the 'in' thing

A lot of the more expensive perfumes do have a greater 'staying power', but when you start talking £40 plus for perfumes, that's silly money.

get smell a likes for black market

My aftershave costs £40 , i think the high prices are to give those animals who have tested the products a good send off :thumbsup:

People judge perfume partly on how exclusive it is. They may or may not like a perfume, but they would not still want it if wherever they went they smelt it on everyone else. Exclusivity is achieved by price.
The rest (and this is a lot of it of all kinds from Aspirational/fantasy adverts to Celebrity endorsements ) is hype.

Abercrombie - Fierce.

'Nuff said. Smells fantastic.

But I don't know why it's so damned expensive.

GentleTouch;8044324

get smell a likes for black market

and grow 2 heads?

They don't make that much money from perfume. It is dear because 90% of the wholesale purchase price goes on advertising/branding.

It's a double-ended attack of psychology. Firstly, is that advertisers have you conditioned to automatically believe that the more expensive product is the superior option. Secondly, is that aftershaves, and any beauty-oriented product, play massively to personal insecurities. Would you risk your social standing by smelling bad? Of course not, not if you're below 40 and not gross. So you've got to smell good, and how to smell better? Yep, that'll be the smaller bottle that's a fiver more expensive for you.

Banned

perfumes contain a certain amount of natural ingredients, To make a pound of rose oil, it takes well over a ton of flower petals, which can cost between £1000 - £2000 a tone.

i dont mind payin for it, i wear it on nights out, i can make a couple of bottles last a year, so i have no prob payin 30-40 quid for them

atm i have

calvin klein man
calvin klein eternity
Hugo boss (the sphere one lol)

Banned

DragonChris;8044489

Abercrombie - Fierce.'Nuff said. Smells fantastic.But I don't know why … Abercrombie - Fierce.'Nuff said. Smells fantastic.But I don't know why it's so damned expensive.

+1

chanel allure homme is my fave at the mo.

DLM why can't you wear any?

Banned

bykergrove;8044805

+1chanel allure homme is my fave at the mo.DLM why can't you wear any?

I am a sensitive skin person :cry:

DLM;8044910

Have you tried the perfumes with no alcohol that usualy come out in the summer?

DLM;8044910

Youre needed in the testing facility, 3rd flloor,2nd door on the right(after the door marked mice):thumbsup:

Banned

DLM;8044910

oh

transit;8044940

Youre needed in the testing facility, 3rd flloor,2nd door on the … Youre needed in the testing facility, 3rd flloor,2nd door on the right(after the door marked mice):thumbsup:

:giggle:

DLM, I remember (i think) you once recommended Ralph Lauren Romance

Banned

bellabonkers;8044932

Have you tried the perfumes with no alcohol that usualy come out in the … Have you tried the perfumes with no alcohol that usualy come out in the summer?

No, I haven't.

I itch when I come into contact with any chemicals.

That's why I don't wash up very often x x

bykergrove;8044954

oh

I am not allergic to a massage with no oils though

transit;8044940

Youre needed in the testing facility, 3rd flloor,2nd door on the … Youre needed in the testing facility, 3rd flloor,2nd door on the right(after the door marked mice):thumbsup:

Noooooooooooo!

Banned

Marina;8044972

:giggle:DLM, I remember (i think) you once recommended Ralph Lauren … :giggle:DLM, I remember (i think) you once recommended Ralph Lauren Romance

I absolutely adore it.

My fella has nearly agreed to wear it, I think he just likes me near him :-D

Banned

DLM;8044979

I am not allergic to a massage with no oils though

phew! match made in heaven BACK ON TRACK!!

barky;8043834

because the companies who make them are thieves. because people are crazy … because the companies who make them are thieves. because people are crazy enough to pay the prices asked.the make up/beauty industry are in competition with the pharmaceutical companies to see who can extort the most cash out of the buying public:whistling:

This. Supply n demand. If people keep paying, the companies keep charging.

DLM;8044979

No, I haven't.I itch when I come into contact with any chemicals.That's … No, I haven't.I itch when I come into contact with any chemicals.That's why I don't wash up very often x xI am not allergic to a massage with no oils though :pNoooooooooooo!

Rubber gloves..... or more natural washing up cleaners..the eco friendly ones?
Fairy liquid makes me sneeze!

Banned

bykergrove;8044987

phew! match made in heaven BACK ON TRACK!!

I pulled my neck stretching in bed this morning.

It still hurts a bit.

I need a rough massage

Banned

bellabonkers;8044993

Rubber gloves..... or more natural washing up cleaners..the eco friendly … Rubber gloves..... or more natural washing up cleaners..the eco friendly ones?

I just normally let my fella get on with it.

He is a prince x x

Banned

DLM;8044994

I pulled my neck stretching in bed this morning.It still hurts a bit.I … I pulled my neck stretching in bed this morning.It still hurts a bit.I need a rough massage

I only perform full body massages so book an hour off and i'll go warm my hands

work tomorrow (how does it end so fast)

Night all xx

Banned

bykergrove;8045013

I only perform full body massages so book an hour off and i'll go warm my … I only perform full body massages so book an hour off and i'll go warm my hands :pwork tomorrow (how does it end so fast) Night all xx

Aw, I have loads of job application forms to do.

They are so dull :-(

Banned

DLM;8045019

Aw, I have loads of job application forms to do.They are so dull :-(

oh dear god! i have been helping my friends apply for jobs! made me want to die at times!

Banned

bykergrove;8045034

oh dear god! i have been helping my friends apply for jobs! made me want … oh dear god! i have been helping my friends apply for jobs! made me want to die at times!

Good night sweetie x x

Banned

DLM;8045050

Good night sweetie x x

good night good luck with applications!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. The HUKD home for Star Trek: Discovery2685
    2. Add one, leave one game54415416
    3. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITH* A VPN (Virtual Private Network)70561
    4. The PlayStation VR (PSVR) Thread861868

See more discussions