Why is servicing stop so cheap?

Found 13th Apr
guys im getting my 2016 fiesta serviced. ive been looking around and i juat paid 88.00 for a full service where halfords are charging double and kwik fit near enough. i mean whats the catch. they come and collect the car and its so easy?
Community Updates
Ask
34 Comments
Well depends what they actually service (if anything at all).
I have used them twice. Both times were OK, car was services IAW manufacturer schedule. Some cars require specific spec oil which is extra. I have not used them recently as dealing with SS was a bit haphazard, but I think the price is great. There is a big BUT. SS use local garages which they claim to have vetted, you have no say in who does the service. I was lucky and both the local independants I had were very competent.
Never go kwikfit or Halfords.
So is it the second service? If it's a low mileage one that is about what I've payed for most cars I've had.
MIDURIX7 m ago

So is it the second service? If it's a low mileage one that is about what …So is it the second service? If it's a low mileage one that is about what I've payed for most cars I've had.

Yes second service and milege is like 7200 miles. I paid 120 for halfords last year and just felt that must be too much for a car which has hardly any mileage.
The servicing is done by local independent garages who are signed up to it . I doubt there is any catch we all know what the oil /oil filter /spark plugs etc cost from say Eurocarparts - the rest is labour . Lets face it (given a code reader) we could do it ourselves in less than an hour for under £60 . Getting it done through these for a bit extra will give you that all important stamp in your service book . The garages probably make their money by filling in their slack periods when mechanics and bays otherwise unused can be utilised .
Edited by: "rogparki" 13th Apr
adeljay928 m ago

Yes second service and milege is like 7200 miles. I paid 120 for halfords …Yes second service and milege is like 7200 miles. I paid 120 for halfords last year and just felt that must be too much for a car which has hardly any mileage.

Mileage doesn't matter - they just follow the service schedule and replace what the schedule says . Wherever it is done . If it says on the second service "replace spark plugs " they will do that whether you have done 5000 miles or 40000 miles (or at least they should !).
rogparki7 m ago

Mileage doesn't matter - they just follow the service schedule and replace …Mileage doesn't matter - they just follow the service schedule and replace what the schedule says . Wherever it is done . If it says on the second service "replace spark plugs " they will do that whether you have done 5000 miles or 40000 miles (or at least they should !).

Didnt know that. Thanks
A full service for 88 quid? I dread to thing what oil their slingin in that motor lol
They have probably only changed the engine oil and oil filter and checked lights tyre pressures etc.
rogparki37 m ago

Mileage doesn't matter - they just follow the service schedule and replace …Mileage doesn't matter - they just follow the service schedule and replace what the schedule says . Wherever it is done . If it says on the second service "replace spark plugs " they will do that whether you have done 5000 miles or 40000 miles (or at least they should !).

Most cars I've owned can have a low mileage service and its a fair bit cheaper, but a couple of things are missed off until next time, but nothing major is missed.
MIDURIX15 m ago

Most cars I've owned can have a low mileage service and its a fair bit …Most cars I've owned can have a low mileage service and its a fair bit cheaper, but a couple of things are missed off until next time, but nothing major is missed.

These days many cars use CBS (condition based servicing ) rather than strict time or mileage and the vehicle "tells you" when it is due . For instance on my 2016 BMW the first "real " service is when the car "tells " you or a max of 2 years . As I don't hammer it the service is indicated as due in October (the 2 year old point ) or 5600 miles which I doubt I'll do before October .

I haven't personally used Servicing Stop but I have looked at it and it seems a convenient low cost option to get that valuable stamp . I doubt they would skimp your servicing as they would lose this source of income if you noticed (I'm sure we all still mark the oil filter cover and spark plugs prior to the service to ensure they have been changed )
rogparki21 m ago

These days many cars use CBS (condition based servicing ) rather than …These days many cars use CBS (condition based servicing ) rather than strict time or mileage and the vehicle "tells you" when it is due . For instance on my 2016 BMW the first "real " service is when the car "tells " you or a max of 2 years . As I don't hammer it the service is indicated as due in October (the 2 year old point ) or 5600 miles which I doubt I'll do before October .I haven't personally used Servicing Stop but I have looked at it and it seems a convenient low cost option to get that valuable stamp . I doubt they would skimp your servicing as they would lose this source of income if you noticed (I'm sure we all still mark the oil filter cover and spark plugs prior to the service to ensure they have been changed )

Lol I bought my new car in December and am on 8.5k already! :-)
cmdr_elito12 m ago

Lol I bought my new car in December and am on 8.5k already! :-)

Drive gently then (if you are on CBS) or your first service will be due by August
rogparki33 m ago

These days many cars use CBS (condition based servicing ) rather than …These days many cars use CBS (condition based servicing ) rather than strict time or mileage and the vehicle "tells you" when it is due . For instance on my 2016 BMW the first "real " service is when the car "tells " you or a max of 2 years . As I don't hammer it the service is indicated as due in October (the 2 year old point ) or 5600 miles which I doubt I'll do before October .I haven't personally used Servicing Stop but I have looked at it and it seems a convenient low cost option to get that valuable stamp . I doubt they would skimp your servicing as they would lose this source of income if you noticed (I'm sure we all still mark the oil filter cover and spark plugs prior to the service to ensure they have been changed )

My friends one series was saying it would need its first service after something like 22k miles which is a crazy long time to go before changing oil for the first time on a relatively high performance car, so I think he's doing oil change around 14k.
MIDURIX9 m ago

My friends one series was saying it would need its first service after …My friends one series was saying it would need its first service after something like 22k miles which is a crazy long time to go before changing oil for the first time on a relatively high performance car, so I think he's doing oil change around 14k.

On my last car I did all the servicing myself and did oil/filter/cabin filter every 12k, plus the other items as required at other intervals it got to 160k and was still going ok.
cmdr_elito14 m ago

On my last car I did all the servicing myself and did oil/filter/cabin …On my last car I did all the servicing myself and did oil/filter/cabin filter every 12k, plus the other items as required at other intervals it got to 160k and was still going ok.

Pretty sure I would too on an older car as it certainly isn't difficult . Trouble is a FSH is worth 10-15% on Resale / PEx value so until the cars value falls below about £3k its worth keeping up the FSH . also these days they do an electronic scan (via a code reader) to check for any issues - or so they say .
rogparki2 m ago

Pretty sure I would too on an older car as it certainly isn't difficult . …Pretty sure I would too on an older car as it certainly isn't difficult . Trouble is a FSH is worth 10-15% on Resale / PEx value so until the cars value falls below about £3k its worth keeping up the FSH . also these days they do an electronic scan (via a code reader) to check for any issues - or so they say .

I would do it on a newer car too (over 3 years old) provided that you plan on doing lots of miles, if you do the resale difference between a car with FSH when it’s done 150-200k is no difference at all.
123batman3212 h, 6 m ago

A full service for 88 quid? I dread to thing what oil their slingin in …A full service for 88 quid? I dread to thing what oil their slingin in that motor lol

The same that was in
123batman3213 h, 18 m ago

A full service for 88 quid? I dread to thing what oil their slingin in …A full service for 88 quid? I dread to thing what oil their slingin in that motor lol

Probably 10/40 semi that nobody uses anymore , I recently sold a full 199L drum as was to big for a door stop
I've often thought about just servicing my own car but it's always I needy book stamping that stops me. Is getting the book stamped that important?

Would you still be happy to buy a used car off somebody who'd kept all there receipts to prove they serviced it?
snoopy183 h, 44 m ago

The same that was in

I doubt it. Most newer fords are on 0w20. Full service would be oil oil filter air filter fuel filter cabin filter and plugs if its petrol. Check top up levels strip and clean brakes etc. Lets be generous and say the parts cost them £30. Should take roughly 2 hours so theyre paying mechanic £12 per hour minimum. So £54 plus vat is £64.80. So without including costs such as electricity oil disposal etc max profit from 2 hours work is £23.20? The numbers dont add up
123batman3213 h, 14 m ago

I doubt it. Most newer fords are on 0w20. Full service would be oil oil …I doubt it. Most newer fords are on 0w20. Full service would be oil oil filter air filter fuel filter cabin filter and plugs if its petrol. Check top up levels strip and clean brakes etc. Lets be generous and say the parts cost them £30. Should take roughly 2 hours so theyre paying mechanic £12 per hour minimum. So £54 plus vat is £64.80. So without including costs such as electricity oil disposal etc max profit from 2 hours work is £23.20? The numbers dont add up

If they’ve got 4 Hours where they’ve got nothing booked in and they make a profit of £10ish per hour for that period, then surely that’s better than having your mechanic sitting around with his feet up and you lose £12 an hour on his wages plus whatever garage costs to run.
123batman3215 h, 0 m ago

I doubt it. Most newer fords are on 0w20. Full service would be oil oil …I doubt it. Most newer fords are on 0w20. Full service would be oil oil filter air filter fuel filter cabin filter and plugs if its petrol. Check top up levels strip and clean brakes etc. Lets be generous and say the parts cost them £30. Should take roughly 2 hours so theyre paying mechanic £12 per hour minimum. So £54 plus vat is £64.80. So without including costs such as electricity oil disposal etc max profit from 2 hours work is £23.20? The numbers dont add up

What I mean is, I wouldn’t trust them to even change it, but that’s me.
I wouldnt risk it, I use a trusted independent.
Edited by: "snoopy18" 14th Apr
Sprograt11 h, 37 m ago

They have probably only changed the engine oil and oil filter and checked …They have probably only changed the engine oil and oil filter and checked lights tyre pressures etc.

I agree with you this is all they have done
MIDURIX10 h, 44 m ago

My friends one series was saying it would need its first service after …My friends one series was saying it would need its first service after something like 22k miles which is a crazy long time to go before changing oil for the first time on a relatively high performance car, so I think he's doing oil change around 14k.

I have never liked 20k or 2 year servicing don't think it's a good idea
bettz18 h, 36 m ago

I've often thought about just servicing my own car but it's always I needy …I've often thought about just servicing my own car but it's always I needy book stamping that stops me. Is getting the book stamped that important?Would you still be happy to buy a used car off somebody who'd kept all there receipts to prove they serviced it?

Depends how new the car was I suppose but other things do get checked on a major service that the average Joe wouldn't know about
123batman3216 h, 15 m ago

I doubt a Ford service included all that to be changed it will be just oil and filter at that mileage, SS wouldn't have put that oil in it would probably be 5w40 if you was lucky
snoopy181 h, 24 m ago

What I mean is, I wouldn’t trust them to even change it, but that’s me. I w …What I mean is, I wouldn’t trust them to even change it, but that’s me. I wouldnt risk it, I use a trusted independent.

I am 100% with you on that one
Mondeo was £280 to service at independent. Was a tad high I thought as expecting £190 ish. They did have a good look over and gave us a report of what may need doing for mot like bushes however they said nothing would fail mot had it been done on the service day. I trust them and it was all done. 2 hours labour plus bits plus vat I guess..
Edited by: "wayners" 14th Apr
Sprograt12 h, 51 m ago

They have probably only changed the engine oil and oil filter and checked …They have probably only changed the engine oil and oil filter and checked lights tyre pressures etc.

You think that they check lights and tyre pressure? Yes and I have fairies living at the bottom of my garden.
Cakeboy7910 h, 58 m ago

If they’ve got 4 Hours where they’ve got nothing booked in and they make a …If they’ve got 4 Hours where they’ve got nothing booked in and they make a profit of £10ish per hour for that period, then surely that’s better than having your mechanic sitting around with his feet up and you lose £12 an hour on his wages plus whatever garage costs to run.

If you have four hours with nothing booked in your not running your garage right
cliosport658 h, 0 m ago

I doubt a Ford service included all that to be changed it will be just oil …I doubt a Ford service included all that to be changed it will be just oil and filter at that mileage, SS wouldn't have put that oil in it would probably be 5w40 if you was lucky

Exactly there are so many different oils these days and alot of these places are jst horsing anything in. Fine if your willing to risk it or your cars a wrecker but no chance would i put my car for a service costin 88 quid
bettz113th Apr

I've often thought about just servicing my own car but it's always I needy …I've often thought about just servicing my own car but it's always I needy book stamping that stops me. Is getting the book stamped that important?Would you still be happy to buy a used car off somebody who'd kept all there receipts to prove they serviced it?

I'd prefer receipts. Stamps can be had on ebay under £10. What stops someone getting one made up and just stamping the book. Although I have always done my own servicing. Never had a car under £150k miles when I got rid of them. Oil change twice a year and spark plugs checked gaped and cleaned or replaced at same time. Always used cheap oil too, as I never found the benefit of using expensive stuff, it still gets black and horrible and looses efficiency with the crap it picks up from the engine.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants