Why is there a market in sky+ boxes?

Found 16th Feb 2008
If you always need an engineer to install sky+ ( which is what I think the position is according to posts I have read on this board) why is there a market such as on fleabay for boxes. It is not like you can do a DIY connection. Am I missing something? Thanks.

1. Misc
  2. Sky
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Sky
11 Comments

you can do a DIY connection.

You don't need an engineer, that is just a ploy for them to make more money... or they say "box only £50" then in the small print... connection fee, engineer fee. But you can just say no, i'll do it myself. That's what I did with BT Vision.

Original Poster

donbreach;1589620

You don't need an engineer, that is just a ploy for them to make more … You don't need an engineer, that is just a ploy for them to make more money... or they say "box only £50" then in the small print... connection fee, engineer fee. But you can just say no, i'll do it myself. That's what I did with BT Vision.

I think with sky they need to activate it (or ensure at least that your sky card is registered to the box) so you can't DIY. I may be wrong though.

I installed my Sky+ box a few days ago, piece of p!ss.

I bought an install kit from Melksham Satellites and a Sky+ box from Satbuyer then ran the second cable along the same route as the first and did the whole amalgamating tape thing at the dish, took all of 30 minutes. I then called Sky and got them to pair with the new box and unlock the Sky+ features.

The only problems I found were that the amalgamating tape was a little awkward to put on in the limited space on the lnb and that I probably should have got shotgun cable rather than run a second single cable. If you are willing to go up a ladder then it's worth doing your self. :thumbsup:

Banned

It would take no more than 5 minutes to install a new LNB and rerun twin RF cable.

"Sky engineer" isn't something I would call them!!!! It takes years of training to be an engineer - not a half day training course!

Banned

fairy;1589922

I think with sky they need to activate it (or ensure at least that your … I think with sky they need to activate it (or ensure at least that your sky card is registered to the box) so you can't DIY. I may be wrong though.

Yes, the box needs to be paired - and a quick phone call will remedy that! So dont be fooled into thinking it cant be a DIY job.

The sky (ordinary) boxes sell because the can be used as freeview boxes

What is 'the amalgamating tape' method - i'm intrigued!

Using twin RF cable would be a lot easier and tidier than using tape. If you're in Doncaster I can hook you up with some cable for nowt! (my mates a "sky engineer")

jayhab;1592493

What is 'the amalgamating tape' method - i'm intrigued!

You wrap a strip of amalgamating tape around the end of the cable at the LNB and it 'melts' into itself to form a weather seal, then you stick a bit of black tape over the top of that.

The install kit from melksham comes with 20m of cable, the f-type ends, wall fixings and a little strip of tape to seal the end. The little cable end boots you can get would probably be a better bet though.

Thank you Ungreat - I am enlightened!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Which wall design do you like best?12
    2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247678
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769651
    4. Anger over Donald Trump's UK crime tweet35114

See more discussions