Expired

why need credit card to download free books from Google play?

Found 16th Dec 2013
Saw some good free books there, but asks for card details. Why on earth do i need to give them card details for a free book?

Are there ways to get around this restriction?
Community Updates
10 Comments
To verify that you're an adult?
You can put a dummy credit card number in, and since it will never be used, there should be no problem.

However, when you do this, you have to use a number that complies to the rules that normal credit card numbers do - the system will recognise if you just type in random numbers.

There is a list of dummy numbers (used as test credit card numbers for system checking, and unable to be used to spend money) here:
http://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/vhelp/paypalmanager_help/credit_card_numbers.htm

Just enter one of those as your 'credit card' and as long as you don't ever try to use it (not that anything bad would happen, it just wouldn't work) to pay for anything, you'll be able to download free books to your heart's content.

Hope that helps!

[UPDATE - OP tried the method I suggest above, and apparently it didn't work. I was able to use it a while back, but perhaps google have changed their systems now.
Also edited to refer to the numbers as dummy numbers not "fakes". I think that's more accurate]

Edited by: "mishen" 16th Dec 2013
Amazon has some good free books too
mishen

You can put a fake credit card number in, and since it will never be … You can put a fake credit card number in, and since it will never be used, there should be no problem.However, when you do this, you have to use a number that complies to the rules that normal credit card numbers do - the system will recognise if you just type in random numbers. There is a list of fake numbers (used as test credit card numbers for system checking, and unable to be used to spend money) here:http://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/vhelp/paypalmanager_help/credit_card_numbers.htmJust enter one of those as your 'credit card' and as long as you don't ever try to use it (not that anything bad would happen, it just wouldn't work) to pay for anything, you'll be able to download free books to your heart's content.Hope that helps!

Thank U! :-)
Original Poster
mishen

You can put a fake credit card number in, and since it will never be … You can put a fake credit card number in, and since it will never be used, there should be no problem.However, when you do this, you have to use a number that complies to the rules that normal credit card numbers do - the system will recognise if you just type in random numbers. There is a list of fake numbers (used as test credit card numbers for system checking, and unable to be used to spend money) here:http://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/vhelp/paypalmanager_help/credit_card_numbers.htmJust enter one of those as your 'credit card' and as long as you don't ever try to use it (not that anything bad would happen, it just wouldn't work) to pay for anything, you'll be able to download free books to your heart's content.Hope that helps!

It also need dates, cvv code and what not..did not work. Thanks for the heads up though. My account is in my real name, won't there be a problem if I use credit card number from the internet?
bftb

It also need dates, cvv code and what not..did not work. Thanks for the … It also need dates, cvv code and what not..did not work. Thanks for the heads up though. My account is in my real name, won't there be a problem if I use credit card number from the internet?

Oh dear, sorry to hear that - I did actually use this method myself a while back and it worked. I don't really recall exactly as it was a long time ago but if it did ask for the other info, I probably just made up appropriate numbers (ie expiration date in the future etc). I presume you did the same and it rejected the card?

As to whether there would be a problem, I can appreciate that different people may have different appetites for using workarounds like this and one has to make up one's own mind whether this is reasonable or not. My view was that the credit card requirement was bureaucratic and unnecessary (as in the op's case, I did not want to purchase anything and regarded the requirement of a credit card to be unnecessarily onerous). Also, since these are numbers created by the card companies as test numbers, there would be no question of me using the dummy number to actually pay for anything. As such, I don't think any harm is done. Fair enough if you come to a different conclusion for yourself.
I've updated my original answer to reflect that it didn't work for bftb
Original Poster
Google already has enough info on my life, possibly more than I can imagine. I am just not comfortable giving them my credit card info. Needing credit card to download a free book is nothing but a ploy but to force users to give cc data.
OP - maybe you can find the free books you are looking for on Project Gutenberg. You can upload any epub or pdf from there into google books to read (or download kindle ebook versions to read on your kindle or kindle app).
Original Poster
Thanks for that, mate.

I was thinking if there is any way to get those Google books without giving them CC number. HUKD is full of smart people, I think a solution will come out.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants