Why Nintendo Switch games are so expensive?

Posted 17th Apr
I have a PS4, and I though PS4 games were expensive... but Switch! I've dozens and dozens of games for PS3/PS4, whereas if I were buying for Switch, I would only have under 10 titles.
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

13 Comments
It’s not just the switch. It’s Nintendo as a whole.
It works the other way too, you can buy a first party game play it for months and sell it for a reasonable amount
Dannyrobbo17/04/2020 21:29

It works the other way too, you can buy a first party game play it for …It works the other way too, you can buy a first party game play it for months and sell it for a reasonable amount

Of course, but if to follow this logic, they can cost £50, and £100, and more. Which would be crazy, even though you could of course sell the game later.
Like apple and android
Dannyrobbo17/04/2020 21:29

It works the other way too, you can buy a first party game play it for …It works the other way too, you can buy a first party game play it for months and sell it for a reasonable amount

Its actually better that they hold their price, I bought luigi mansion 3 at Christmas then sold it last week and made a £5 profit, can't do that with a ps4 game.
Because people pay it. Best thing to do with switch games is play them get bored if them sell them. You'll only lose a couple of quid
It's clear there are gamers out there that would pay this much money hence why the price will stay this high
Obviously the popularity of the game is always a factor. But I wonder form itself has a cost element. Cartridges aren't as available as blu-rays and the process of burning data to them especially depending on the size of the material could be a factor. For example - Zelda is a massive game - where Toad's Treasure Tracker is relatively small in size - a little over a gig. Bigger game, bigger cartridge needed - but I could be way off here.
I.Am.Lado17/04/2020 21:31

Of course, but if to follow this logic, they can cost £50, and £100, and m …Of course, but if to follow this logic, they can cost £50, and £100, and more. Which would be crazy, even though you could of course sell the game later.

Look at it this way, I bought Mario kart 8 this time 3 years ago for about £42, I could list it on eBay now and probably push £40 for it there are multiple listings with over a day left at £33.

It’s sort of the deal with Nintendo but if you are worried about the price you can play them to death and sometimes make a profit selling them on.
Dannyrobbo17/04/2020 23:54

Look at it this way, I bought Mario kart 8 this time 3 years ago for about …Look at it this way, I bought Mario kart 8 this time 3 years ago for about £42, I could list it on eBay now and probably push £40 for it there are multiple listings with over a day left at £33. It’s sort of the deal with Nintendo but if you are worried about the price you can play them to death and sometimes make a profit selling them on.

Hey, understood your point but why does the price depend on one's ability to resell and recoup? I am sure you just as well could buy a £5 or £10 game and sell it for the same price in 3 years. But an average game costs £30-50, which seems expensive.

As someone mentioned, is it the production costs? Or does Nintendo set the price they want?
I.Am.Lado17/04/2020 23:59

Hey, understood your point but why does the price depend on one's ability …Hey, understood your point but why does the price depend on one's ability to resell and recoup? I am sure you just as well could buy a £5 or £10 game and sell it for the same price in 3 years. But an average game costs £30-50, which seems expensive. As someone mentioned, is it the production costs? Or does Nintendo set the price they want?

It’s clearly working for them so why would they reduce the price?

when you buy a switch or anything Nintendo it’s sort of a given the majority of people no matter when they buy in will buy a couple of Mario kart, super Mario, yoshi etc. That’s just how it goes and those people clearly don’t care about the high price.
Edited by: "Dannyrobbo" 18th Apr
Very controlled distribution.
Yup, controlled market. No real competition for their games, especially their own IP ones
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions