Expired

why not become a train driver? crossrail is recruiting

Found 13th Nov 2015
good money once one qualifies - £55,000 a year!!!

crossrail is looking for trainee drivers - scroll down at link.

We are delighted to announce that the opportunity has arisen for a number of Trainee Train Driver positions for our Old Oak Common Depot.

This is the start of your journey towards becoming a MTR Crossrail Qualified Train Driver who will be responsible for driving our passengers across our route safely and efficiently 24 hours a day.

Please apply if you are able to;

* Maintain high levels of concentration with excellent attention to detail

* Follow rules, instructions and procedures

* Easily accommodate shift work on a 24 hour a day, 7 days a week basis

* Work independently for long periods of time while maintaining high levels of awareness

* Travel to our Old Oak Common Depot (NW10) within 40 minutes from your home address

There will be staged assessments to successfully complete and you will be required to pass an occupational medical which covers colour vision testing.

Earn a progressive salary from GBP 26,577 to GBP 55, 000 when fully qualified

Enjoy benefits including a final salary pension, rail concessions and the opportunity to join a dynamic, forward thinking, value driven train operating company.

To apply please click...
Community Updates
52 Comments
In b 4 deek
I have been giving it some consideration X)
I'd be no good as a train driver. I've got a rubbish sense of direction.
moneysavingkitten

You wouldn't like it msk, too may animals get on the tracks and not forgetting the suicides.
the best thing is you can go on strike 3 times a year
am colour blind = screwed ....

Also doesn't help I live in Leeds not London!
Sweet!
arcangel111

Also doesn't help I live in Leeds not London!

Only 2.5 hours by train. Do you want the job or not? X)
deeky

Is that before or after the wrong type of snow/rain/leaves/sun/shiny coins/deckchairs on the line?
for those with a one track mind
Think applicants have to live within 40 minutes commute of the depot in Old Oak, NW10
moneysavingkitten

Here's the answer to question 146 of the written exam.

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/How+to+stop+a+train+i+remember+i+was+maybe_85abfd_3917719.jpg
transit

Here's the answer to question 146 of the written exam.

Is that a show me tell me question, like on a driving test?
moneysavingkitten

moneysavingkitten

Unofficially yes, please post back here in pictures when you have practiced.
The country is going to the dogs, more people will be topping themselves. I'm not sure if I could cope with anyone throwing themselves under my train.

No pay packet can compensate for that kind of stress/distress.
transit

Unofficially yes, please post back here in pictures when you have … Unofficially yes, please post back here in pictures when you have practiced.

Hmmm sounds legit.
deeky

Nah .. doesn't pay enough ! (_;)
Mark2111

The country is going to the dogs, more people will be topping themselves. … The country is going to the dogs, more people will be topping themselves. I'm not sure if I could cope with anyone throwing themselves under my train. :(No pay packet can compensate for that kind of stress/distress.

No, but on the other hand, better to be driving the train than be under it. One place I worked was so awful, my boss did throw himself under a train. Swings and roundabouts...

Before you ask, I had already left serveal years previously, so you can't blame it on me
I am trying to talk him indoors into applying we would have no trouble getting to old oak common in 40 mins, I dont think my eyesight is up to it tho, he has better eyes then me as he is just mildly short sighted, same in both eyes, I am long sighted more so in 1 eye then the other with astigmatism in one eye. But I might have a go at it anyway if he doesn't.
Original Poster
photo of the new crossrail train - quite stylish.

http://www.cityam.com/assets/uploads/main-image/full_width_article_body_image/crossrail-564eeb953d6dd-564eed793596a.jpg

the signalling should be state-of-the-art too.

i'm surprised they didn't put the tracks in some kind of wire cage and make the whole system automatic.

but that's good news for potential drivers.

cityam.com/229…in-

Edited by: "seb" 21st Nov 2015
seb

xmas prezzies for for aspirant train … xmas prezzies for for aspirant train drivers.http://www.petersrailway.com/PageProducer.aspx

LOVE the other links on that page too!!! Thanks for that. Enjoyed it.
Original Poster
For that special occasion, a very special gift or to satisfy a dream, the Isle of Wight Steam Railway is delighted to offer a unique footplate experience.

For the price of £80.00 you will enjoy a full round trip on the footplate of the day’s service locomotive.

Following a briefing you will join the footplate crew. For approximately one hour you will stand alongside and observe the driver and fireman as the locomotive travels over 10 miles through beautiful countryside.

After your trip you will receive a souvenir certificate to mark your experience...

iwsteamrailway.co.uk/foo…spx
Banned
Do you get to wear a hat?

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/3/4752202_7554131ddf_b.jpg
Original Poster
if they don't provide one one_way, i'm sure there'd be no objection to you bringing along your own hat to wear with pride on the footplate.

this train simulator from dovetail looks quite appealing but possibly a bit expensive once one starts purchasing add-on packs.

store.steampowered.com/vid…010
do they make you buy the coal too?
Banned
seb

if they don't provide one one_way, i'm sure there'd be no objection to … if they don't provide one one_way, i'm sure there'd be no objection to you bringing along your own hat to wear with pride on the footplate.this train simulator from dovetail looks quite appealing but possibly a bit expensive once one starts purchasing add-on packs.http://store.steampowered.com/video/24010

Buy your own hat oO sod that they can stick their job.
deleted265520
Error440

I am trying to talk him indoors into applying we would have no trouble … I am trying to talk him indoors into applying we would have no trouble getting to old oak common in 40 mins, I dont think my eyesight is up to it tho, he has better eyes then me as he is just mildly short sighted, same in both eyes, I am long sighted more so in 1 eye then the other with astigmatism in one eye. But I might have a go at it anyway if he doesn't.

Remind me if you get it the job to avoid using trains in that area.
It'll be the first case of a Train Driver arguing with every single passenger.
dtovey89

Remind me if you get it the job to avoid using trains in that area.It'll … Remind me if you get it the job to avoid using trains in that area.It'll be the first case of a Train Driver arguing with every single passenger.

confident, enthusiastic go getter
Original Poster
i imagine coal is incorporated into the cost, arcangel.

i can remember when ventnor railway station was bustling : not just with train movements but with extensive coal sidings too.

the good old days - destroyed by arch-fiend beeching : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ventnor_railway_station

for those who can't get to the island - here's an island railway simulator.

includes absurd decommissioned tube trains which currently run on a curtailed main line from shanklin to ryde pier head.

store.steampowered.com/app…21/
Banned
davewave

confident, enthusiastic go getter

That actually made me laugh lots and still laughing
one_way

That actually made me laugh lots and still laughing

Can i get you a big wooden spoon, as you love stirring things up
Banned
summerof76

Can i get you a big wooden spoon, as you love stirring things up

I dont stir anything up it really did make me laugh its easily in my top 10 favourite comments on here. A small post with few words and just perfect.
one_way

I dont stir anything up it really did make me laugh its easily in my … I dont stir anything up it really did make me laugh its easily in my top 10 favourite comments on here. A small post with few words and just perfect.

Banned
summerof76

I tend not to just say stuff that will please everyone so we can all dance happily around the beautiful rose garden on a sunny afternoon.
one_way

it really did make me laugh its easily in my top 10 favourite comments on … it really did make me laugh its easily in my top 10 favourite comments on here. A small post with few words and just perfect.

One of my favourite posts had just one word
Edited by: "deeky" 2nd Dec 2015
Banned
deeky

One of my favourite posts had just one word

Brilliant X)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants