Why people relying on online shopping?

Found 19th Dec 2017
Why day by day customer moves towards online shopping instead of visit retail outlets?
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Supermarkets are full of peasants and old people, Hence having it delivered or click and collect.
Background: this applies to those in my case which work 9-5 Mon-Fri plus have a commute either side.

In store:
Go to town on Saturday or part day Sunday as shops aren’t open when workers (as above) are free to shop
Drive to town and get mugged off for parking
Struggle to find a space
Go through all the people who insist on having chats blocking the aisles and don’t move when asked politely because they are in the way
Find items are more expensive than online
Buy items
Buy carrier bag
Cart it all round town
Buy lunch or a coffee
More shopping
Go home

Online:
Think of item to buy
No need to worry about time of day
Check for best deal (95% it’ll be cheaper or same price as a shop)
Order it usually with free delivery
If not home delivery left in safe place
Sorted

Is it any wonder why people prefer online shopping?

I can buy 10 items online in probably 30 mins with comparing prices, if I went to town your looking at about 3 hours plus it costs a lot more!!!
26 Comments
We are living in the future
deleted800342
Convenience?
I to go shopping with friends we have a liquid lunch then shop more fun then sitting in the house .
Food shopping I send husband
Supermarkets are full of peasants and old people, Hence having it delivered or click and collect.
Is it not more obvious at this time of year than usual? Shopping isn't something some people want to spend a lot of time on, they have other hobbies instead.
Some of us are housebound at the moment so online is the only option
Price and convenience.
I don't drive so carrying bags and bags of heavy shopping on public transport would not be possible.
Only downside to online is that you have to hope you get a good picker/packer with common sense.
Not like the one who gave me cream crackers instead of dairy free chocolate!
In recent years I have exclusively gone online, however this year its been all retail bar for one item which isn't available in stores, only because I have been on client site in london for the past few weeks.

Normally the general public get right on my norks but this time I have enjoyed it. Even did Oxford street without a hint of hassle!
Because prices are usually cheaper online due to not having the overheads of having to pay in-store staff and renting retail units?
I prefer to visit the shops,at least you can see what you're getting. Paid £1.99 for a rug from Amazon last week & it's way to small.
32821277-dOn8w.jpg
Edited by: "OldEnglish" 19th Dec 2017
live on 5th floor with no lift? don't worry Tesco will carry up your groceries. feel sorry for those guys.
how ironic someone who has been a member for a year asking this question and only has 2 comments to their name the deer certainly gets them out.
eslick8 m ago

how ironic someone who has been a member for a year asking this question …how ironic someone who has been a member for a year asking this question and only has 2 comments to their name the deer certainly gets them out.

This explains why i keep getting random likes on comments i made ages ago.
deleted265520
Is it 2001?
Online shopping overtook physically going to the shops many years ago. Everything except food that is.
I went into Card Factory today and immediately remembered why I barely buy anything or go to town centres anymore, elderly people barging you out of the way (yes I know it is not all of them!), 10 minute queues and getting short changed.
More convenient than having to talk to people in store or waiting in line to pay for your shopping/collect your order, or to encounter a city center rammed with people (from anti-social students and chavs to 'lovebirds' holding hands, to the burka ninjas trying to see out of a little slot on the face veil and playing human bumper cars) getting in your way, or the parents with ten kids (including one in a pram aka public weapon of ankle destruction (especially on buses)) making a human wall and blocking the pathways in city center and in stores (especially supermarkets) for everyone else. Plus the upside especially with clothing that the item is in the manufacturer packaging when you receive it with an online order, compared to the same item being sent to a stock room for the stock management to rip it out of the packaging and crudely hang it and place it in designated places in store, and having it touched by every person, parent and their snotty kid until it is 'sold'.
Edited by: "Deadpooled" 19th Dec 2017
Background: this applies to those in my case which work 9-5 Mon-Fri plus have a commute either side.

In store:
Go to town on Saturday or part day Sunday as shops aren’t open when workers (as above) are free to shop
Drive to town and get mugged off for parking
Struggle to find a space
Go through all the people who insist on having chats blocking the aisles and don’t move when asked politely because they are in the way
Find items are more expensive than online
Buy items
Buy carrier bag
Cart it all round town
Buy lunch or a coffee
More shopping
Go home

Online:
Think of item to buy
No need to worry about time of day
Check for best deal (95% it’ll be cheaper or same price as a shop)
Order it usually with free delivery
If not home delivery left in safe place
Sorted

Is it any wonder why people prefer online shopping?

I can buy 10 items online in probably 30 mins with comparing prices, if I went to town your looking at about 3 hours plus it costs a lot more!!!
Price and laziness.. Mostly laziness!
Never mind the shopping...I cant even believe that people communicate with others online?!?!

Why don't they send letters or shout in the street instead - just crazy!

32823028-zTV10.jpg
Edited by: "davewave" 19th Dec 2017
OldEnglish2 h, 21 m ago

I prefer to visit the shops,at least you can see what you're getting. Paid …I prefer to visit the shops,at least you can see what you're getting. Paid £1.99 for a rug from Amazon last week & it's way to small. [Image]

Diary 19/12/2017

1st successful test of my new shrink ray. Now to find the cat....
Edited by: "kester76" 19th Dec 2017
.MUFC.3 h, 45 m ago

Supermarkets are full of peasants and old people, Hence having it …Supermarkets are full of peasants and old people, Hence having it delivered or click and collect.

^
^
^
^THIS
Because i'm not allowed to go into retail shops in just my pants.

Seriously though the main reason i shop online is because 90% of the time it's cheaper.
kester763 h, 47 m ago

Diary 19/12/20171st successful test of my new shrink ray. Now to find the …Diary 19/12/20171st successful test of my new shrink ray. Now to find the cat....

Diary 19/12/2017 Evening

Whilst my original experiments showed marked improvement they have gone awry with Tiddies the cat. I have managed to secure myself in another part of the house with some relative safety. I am sorry to inform that my lab assistant wasn't so fortunate and a well timed trip facilitated by myself allowed me to escape whilst my assistant nobly took one for the team. I can only hope that help will arrive in time.

32827478-ciHP9.jpg
It's partly because retailers, chose to change the way they do business.

They decided that paying for staff who knew anything about the products was a waste of money and they employed shop assistants on minimum wage, who are employed to stock the shelves and operate the tills. Along comes internet shopping with it's lower overheads and the shops suddenly find that they have no unique selling points to offer.

There are other reasons, as mentioned above, such as short sighted councils, greedy landlords etc.
Retro898 h, 20 m ago

Because i'm not allowed to go into retail shops in just my pants.Seriously …Because i'm not allowed to go into retail shops in just my pants.Seriously though the main reason i shop online is because 90% of the time it's cheaper.

That's probably my number one reason too. Minus the pants.

I value my limbs. If I have to have them broken it still be doing something fun. Also I prefer my shopping not to have been manhandled by fifty other people.

Have you been out there? It's insane. After tomorrow, I hope not to set foot in a shop till the new year.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants