Why so many bots and Chinese deals???

Found 27th Nov 2017
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
This used to be a site where members helped each other - posting deals , giving unbiased reviews ,opinions, experiences etc . To be fair there are still members who do that , but in ever decreasing numbers . In those days we could also trust deals posted by Mods . Ok they were given these before anyone else -but at least they were Kocher .

Sadly these days money talks . OK so many folks don't read beyond the "heat " of a deal - but I do , always ! It was not long ago when all Chinese seller deals were barred from HUKD as they had hidden flaws (Import duties , VAT , No warranty , impossible to return etc) . The hidden flaws are still the same but now they pay hefty referral fees they are not only allowed but actively promoted by Mods and Editors

Yes I know its "buyer beware" but I've seen these super glossy Chinese websites - and admittedly they are good and you will , eventually get what you pay for (+VAT and duties ) you will then have no warranty and no feasible way of returning if it breaks .

Many members can afford to gamble £500 to save £150 fair enough - many of our less savvy members can't - but maybe spend their last £200 of Xmas money on an item as it is presumably recommended and endorsed by HUKD (as HUKD's Mods posted it ! ) .

As I said I read comments on here and have read many members who are heartbroken when they realise they have spent money they can't really afford on an item they cannot return . This I presume is why these sellers were barred from HUKD for years . Strange how a bit of extra Cash changes the principles of a site

Of course I've used "Contact " to bring this to the attention of HUKD but as we all know if the question is too difficult it is ignored , and no reply ensues . All I have asked for is that posts for Chinese sellers carry an automatic "health warning " re VAT and Import Duties , No warranty and no feasible way of returning .

If this is a members site , then surely that is not too much to ask to protect our less savvy members - but HUKD simply do not want to know - ignoring at least 10 of my messages to "Contact" on this subject .

Have I got a personal bitch ? No I have never ordered more than £10 of stuff from a Chinese seller , so no axe to grind there .

If members were to read some of the sob stories on here (as I presume HUKD Mods must do ) rather than just looking for "heat" then they might no be so flippant about the " Yer pays yer money etc " attitude .
Edited by: "rogparki" 27th Nov 2017
11 Comments
This thread will go like the last one with the deal posted that they deleted it’ll have the usual no we don’t do these sorts of things and if you see them report it.

this site is just an advertising business at the end of the day they make their money via the links to other sites. That rejected deal last night I’m sure would have been because it’s new and they can’t make money from it’s link.

I was told it was rejected for not meeting the criteria (a quick 5 minute check would have proved it did). It was a family run business with probably no affiliate program so it would be so so easy to just reject it without really checking. You don’t give free advertising do you!!

i have been coming to this site for a while and only fairly recently it’s been less and less community based deals and more like each deal is scrutinised to extract the most pennies from the post. I totally get it though because it is a business at the end of the day.
Edited by: "Dannyrobbo" 27th Nov 2017
they aren't bots it's just suzy18 posting amazing deals
This used to be a site where members helped each other - posting deals , giving unbiased reviews ,opinions, experiences etc . To be fair there are still members who do that , but in ever decreasing numbers . In those days we could also trust deals posted by Mods . Ok they were given these before anyone else -but at least they were Kocher .

Sadly these days money talks . OK so many folks don't read beyond the "heat " of a deal - but I do , always ! It was not long ago when all Chinese seller deals were barred from HUKD as they had hidden flaws (Import duties , VAT , No warranty , impossible to return etc) . The hidden flaws are still the same but now they pay hefty referral fees they are not only allowed but actively promoted by Mods and Editors

Yes I know its "buyer beware" but I've seen these super glossy Chinese websites - and admittedly they are good and you will , eventually get what you pay for (+VAT and duties ) you will then have no warranty and no feasible way of returning if it breaks .

Many members can afford to gamble £500 to save £150 fair enough - many of our less savvy members can't - but maybe spend their last £200 of Xmas money on an item as it is presumably recommended and endorsed by HUKD (as HUKD's Mods posted it ! ) .

As I said I read comments on here and have read many members who are heartbroken when they realise they have spent money they can't really afford on an item they cannot return . This I presume is why these sellers were barred from HUKD for years . Strange how a bit of extra Cash changes the principles of a site

Of course I've used "Contact " to bring this to the attention of HUKD but as we all know if the question is too difficult it is ignored , and no reply ensues . All I have asked for is that posts for Chinese sellers carry an automatic "health warning " re VAT and Import Duties , No warranty and no feasible way of returning .

If this is a members site , then surely that is not too much to ask to protect our less savvy members - but HUKD simply do not want to know - ignoring at least 10 of my messages to "Contact" on this subject .

Have I got a personal bitch ? No I have never ordered more than £10 of stuff from a Chinese seller , so no axe to grind there .

If members were to read some of the sob stories on here (as I presume HUKD Mods must do ) rather than just looking for "heat" then they might no be so flippant about the " Yer pays yer money etc " attitude .
Edited by: "rogparki" 27th Nov 2017
rogparki3 h, 2 m ago

This used to be a site where members helped each other - posting deals , …This used to be a site where members helped each other - posting deals , giving unbiased reviews ,opinions, experiences etc . To be fair there are still members who do that , but in ever decreasing numbers . In those days we could also trust deals posted by Mods . Ok they were given these before anyone else -but at least they were Kocher .Sadly these days money talks . OK so many folks don't read beyond the "heat " of a deal - but I do , always ! It was not long ago when all Chinese seller deals were barred from HUKD as they had hidden flaws (Import duties , VAT , No warranty , impossible to return etc) . The hidden flaws are still the same but now they pay hefty referral fees they are not only allowed but actively promoted by Mods and Editors Yes I know its "buyer beware" but I've seen these super glossy Chinese websites - and admittedly they are good and you will , eventually get what you pay for (+VAT and duties ) you will then have no warranty and no feasible way of returning if it breaks .Many members can afford to gamble £500 to save £150 fair enough - many of our less savvy members can't - but maybe spend their last £200 of Xmas money on an item as it is presumably recommended and endorsed by HUKD (as HUKD's Mods posted it ! ) .As I said I read comments on here and have read many members who are heartbroken when they realise they have spent money they can't really afford on an item they cannot return . This I presume is why these sellers were barred from HUKD for years . Strange how a bit of extra Cash changes the principles of a site Of course I've used "Contact " to bring this to the attention of HUKD but as we all know if the question is too difficult it is ignored , and no reply ensues . All I have asked for is that posts for Chinese sellers carry an automatic "health warning " re VAT and Import Duties , No warranty and no feasible way of returning .If this is a members site , then surely that is not too much to ask to protect our less savvy members - but HUKD simply do not want to know - ignoring at least 10 of my messages to "Contact" on this subject .Have I got a personal bitch ? No I have never ordered more than £10 of stuff from a Chinese seller , so no axe to grind there . If members were to read some of the sob stories on here (as I presume HUKD Mods must do ) rather than just looking for "heat" then they might no be so flippant about the " Yer pays yer money etc " attitude .

That is about the most rational comment I’ve seen you post. Maybe with the new ‘VAT’ clamp down things will change.

What amazes me is the hypocrisy of the user base too. They hate big companies playing the tax laws but don’t mind outright evading it themselves.
Oneday7730 m ago

That is about the most rational comment I’ve seen you post. Maybe with the …That is about the most rational comment I’ve seen you post. Maybe with the new ‘VAT’ clamp down things will change. What amazes me is the hypocrisy of the user base too. They hate big companies playing the tax laws but don’t mind outright evading it themselves.

Thanks , I always like to think I am rational , and also stand up for those members not as savvy as others . As I read posts (as opposed to just checking the supposedly "Hot" ones ) I am aware of the misery buying from Chinese sellers can inflict on the not so well off amongst us should they be unlucky in the product they buy .

I choose not to buy pricey stuff from these sellers as I prefer paying extra for a warranty and returns and the comfort it brings to a not very "Tech savvy " person . You have to hand it to them though - their websites put Argos, John Lewis , Currys etc to shame . I'm sure if you know what you are buying and can accept the loss if an item "dies" after a month or two its a good gamble .

All I bang on about is that these deals -banned for many years on HUKD - should have the suggested "Health Warning " on every post (particularly when posted by an HUKD employee ) . I have used "Contact" on numerous occasions to suggest this - but as all site users know , if HUKD can't defend their position , "Contact" messages are simply ignored.

I can look after myself financially should I wish to take a gamble on buying from these sites , sadly there are many members who can't . When the Xmas Phone or Tablet doesn't work when unwrapped on Xmas day there'll be no help from either the Chinese seller or HUKD . I just hope the Mods who got fat bonuses for posting these "deals" feel a little bit embarrassed while tucking into their Turkey - a treat many members will have foregone just to get their kids that special Xmas present .
Well said rogparki, a warning on each of these sort of posts should be displayed for those less savvy, it would simply be the responsible thing for hotukdeals to do for their members, let's see if maybe morals might win over profit
I agree they should only be posted with a warning.

For the balance though, I've never had too many issues buying from Chinese sellers, Never had an item not turn up, Only had to pay import/duty once when I opted for DHL delivery :(. I did have a tablet that went faulty, I got a partial refund for it.

I've had far more trouble with Argos trying to direct me to manufacturer when the contract of sale is with them. They'll do anything to wiggle out of consumer law. Obviously consumer law doesn't apply to Chinese sellers. It is important that people know that.
ji29zard1 h, 53 m ago

Well said rogparki, a warning on each of these sort of posts should be …Well said rogparki, a warning on each of these sort of posts should be displayed for those less savvy, it would simply be the responsible thing for hotukdeals to do for their members, let's see if maybe morals might win over profit

I think we all have to understand that first and foremost this website is an advertising site, if something operates for free then you are the product.

So I highly doubt morals will win because I really think gearbest and others have a lucrative affiliate scheme which is up to 11% depending on your status
havent you heard? china is going to be the new super power, they are going to take over the world and they are going to buy HUKD
Just get everyone to vote for these deals like they do for anything from Sports Direct
You have made me think about talk talk. So many of these sim only deals were posted but not anymore. Same with matalan, b&m and other smaller shops
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants