Why the price leap above 65" Tv

Found 15th Nov 2017
I've had a 55" Lg for a while now and was hoping to go much bigger but the move to 65" just doesn't seem worth the hassle. You can pick up deals for 65" for around £1K but why is it that anything bigger than this costs sooo much more? 55" to 65" you are looking at a few hundred extra but 65" to 75" seems to be more than double.
Community Updates
Ask
6 Comments
Volume of sales I'd have thought.
The market for 65"+ must be limited.
The larger a screen, the less likely it survives manufacturer QA processes.
Your also forgetting that you aren’t gaining 10” of screen. You’re gaining almost 40% extra screen area. That isn’t going to grow on trees for free is it.

Look at screensizecalculator.com to give an idea. Then work out what you think you should pay extra.
Edited by: "Oneday77" 15th Nov 2017
Another factor is that LCDs are made in giant sheets and then cut up into panels of the appropriate size. On many production lines right now 55" is an efficient size with little wasted space while 65" and 75" are not, so you might get 6 55" panels out of a sheet but only 3 65" or 2 75".

The new '10.5G' production lines being built at the moment are supposed to be efficient for 43", 65" and 75" so we may see prices come down in the next few years.
Original Poster
Oneday7725 m ago

The larger a screen, the less likely it survives manufacturer QA …The larger a screen, the less likely it survives manufacturer QA processes. Your also forgetting that you aren’t gaining 10” of screen. You’re gaining almost 40% extra screen area. That isn’t going to grow on trees for free is it.Look at http://screensizecalculator.com to give an idea. Then work out what you think you should pay extra.

I think you could have something with the manufacturing process but I can't agree with your screen size theory. 55" to 65" is approx 20% size increase and 65" to 75" another 20% but the price increase is nothing like the same, it's a massive jump beyond 65". I wondered if it worked something like it does with fish tanks in that when you go beyond 4ft you need to have a much thicker more expensive glass.
qwales9 m ago

I think you could have something with the manufacturing process but I …I think you could have something with the manufacturing process but I can't agree with your screen size theory. 55" to 65" is approx 20% size increase and 65" to 75" another 20% but the price increase is nothing like the same, it's a massive jump beyond 65". I wondered if it worked something like it does with fish tanks in that when you go beyond 4ft you need to have a much thicker more expensive glass.

The diagonal increase is about 20% the actual area. Therefore resulting component cost is nearer 40%

32439991-9OWrx.jpg

comparetvsizes.com/?tv…169
Original Poster
Oneday7713 m ago

The diagonal increase is about 20% the actual area. Therefore resulting …The diagonal increase is about 20% the actual area. Therefore resulting component cost is nearer 40%[Image] http://www.comparetvsizes.com/?tv1=55&a1=169&tv2=65&a2=169

Fair enough but it still doesn't really explain the massive jump beyond 65". I think the answer is with EndlessWaves above
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions