Why upload speeds are limited to 10-20 MB in England?

Posted 7th Dec 2019
Just shifted to uk and really disappointed with the slow upload speeds. I’m a casual YouTuber and it’s taking me hours to upload small videos with BT HOME broadband. I have 50 mb download and only 10 mb upload.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
JawadAli07/12/2019 22:51

Why pay more to just get 10 mb more?

Because its double the speed and you wanted more upload?
28 Comments
deleted1471098
We aren’t limited to these speeds everywhere. It depends on where you live and your ISP. I for example have virgin and get 385mb down and 38.5mb up.

Others get 100mb up in some cities, large businesses get 1-10gb up.
Edited by: "deleted1471098" 7th Dec 2019
Yep, get your hand in your pocket and get virgin. Job done.
because you are sharing bandwidth with others, so depends on how many people that you are sharing with along your spur of cable off the fibre backbone
I get close to 40 upload so not sure if you are 109% correct.
It could be your provider doesn’t have the capacity or the area you are in is not prepared for higher speeds..
deleted1471098
Just to add also if you are uploading over WiFi and using stock router WiFi you are unlikely to achieve the full speed, get a mesh network.
OP you're using ADSL so the likely reason you are suffering from slow upload speeds is the line attenuation in your area.

(and also because asymmetric digital subscriber lines are asymmetric in their nature)

The infrastructure you're using is very old and that comes at a cost. Technology to utilise old pre-existing copper can only be pushed so far.

Without getting too complex the issue you're having is a physical limitation and not one being imposed.

Getting connection from VM or a dedicated business line would resolve this. VM caps their upload and charges way more for a symmetrical connection.

Put simply, asymmetrical connections are standard in the UK due to infrastructure and local circumstances affecting loop attenuation.

Hope that explains things a bit more.

Edit: Thinking about it 50 down and 10 up is decent. You're clearly not in the sticks, try an upload at night.
Edited by: "mogsog" 7th Dec 2019
mogsog07/12/2019 18:57

OP you're using ADSL so the likely reason you are suffering from slow …OP you're using ADSL so the likely reason you are suffering from slow upload speeds is the line attenuation in your area. (and also because asymmetric digital subscriber lines are asymmetric in their nature) The infrastructure you're using is very old and that comes at a cost. Technology to utilise old pre-existing copper can only be pushed so far. Without getting too complex the issue you're having is a physical limitation and not one being imposed. Getting connection from VM or a dedicated business line would resolve this. VM caps their upload and charges way more for a symmetrical connection.Put simply, asymmetrical connections are standard in the UK due to infrastructure and local circumstances affecting loop attenuation. Hope that explains things a bit more.

At 50 meg download, its more likely to be fibre to the cabinet, than ADSL

If you have BT FTTH, you can get 330 down, and 30 up
KingNav36007/12/2019 19:05

At 50 meg download, its more likely to be fibre to the cabinet, than …At 50 meg download, its more likely to be fibre to the cabinet, than ADSLIf you have BT FTTH, you can get 330 down, and 30 up

Based on those speeds I think OP has likely got a copper line providing the connection if they do have FTTC or FTTH then it's possibly a contention ratio issue.
Edited by: "mogsog" 7th Dec 2019
deeky07/12/2019 18:20

Well, for me to get Virgin, I'd need to move. You going to give me the £100k+ so I can move to a Virgin area?
Don't these YouTube people offer a collection service?
mogsog07/12/2019 18:57

OP you're using ADSL...

50Mbs down and 10Mbs up will not be ADSL.
@JawadAli what is the typical bit rate of these "small videos"?
get 5g?
AndyRoyd07/12/2019 19:17

50Mbs down and 10Mbs up will not be ADSL.

Contention ratio then?

OP give us a postcode near your dwelling.
deeky07/12/2019 18:20

What happens if your area can't get Virgin.

I have never seen over 5mbps upload on our connection - no Virgin, not a single postcode has FTTP and 50 thousand people live here.
deleted1447778
No ADSL delivers 50Mbps down, he's got BT FTTC, they limit their upload speed to 10Mbps, my line is capable of 20Mbps up but it's set to 10Mbps.
Edited by: "deleted1447778" 7th Dec 2019
mogsog07/12/2019 19:14

Based on those speeds I think OP has likely got a copper line providing …Based on those speeds I think OP has likely got a copper line providing the connection if they do have FTTC or FTTH then it's possibly a contention ratio issue.

50 meg is not ADSL.
ASDL lines maximum speed is 24meg (but alot lower in real world).
IMHO lack of dust in a gaming console can cause this.
We just got 100% FTTC in town. 900 Mbit up/down if out want
Because there's a trade-off between upload and download speed and download speed is more useful for most uses.

In the early days of broadband in the UK services were available with identical upload and download speeds, known as SDSL, but they proved a lot less popular than the lopsided ADSL and with the adoption of FTTC openreach only offers asymmetric packages as far as I know.

Although with the huge capacity of fibre they are trialling symmetric FTTP packages:
ispreview.co.uk/ind…tml
alg07/12/2019 19:14

Well, for me to get Virgin, I'd need to move. You going to give me the …Well, for me to get Virgin, I'd need to move. You going to give me the £100k+ so I can move to a Virgin area?

Virgin has rubbish upload speeds anyway
If you took 72mb broadband you would have got 20mb upload
Personator123407/12/2019 19:32

What happens if your area can't get Virgin.I have never seen over 5mbps …What happens if your area can't get Virgin.I have never seen over 5mbps upload on our connection - no Virgin, not a single postcode has FTTP and 50 thousand people live here.

Then I don't suppose you can have it
Buckyball07/12/2019 20:23

We just got 100% FTTC in town. 900 Mbit up/down if out want

How
jb6607/12/2019 20:49

If you took 72mb broadband you would have got 20mb upload

Because its double the speed and you wanted more upload?

10mb more is doubling your upload speed, which would hopefully be a 50% time saving one every upload you do. If a youtuber is that a great advantage to you, if it is, that answers your quester 'why pay more to get just 10mb more'

If that's not a great reason, then I don't understand you initial query.
The vast majority of internet traffic is download orientated. Therefore ISPs tailor the connections to cater for the demand.
You’ll get business lines that offer a more balanced upload/download ratio but you’ll get rogered in cost too.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants