Groups

Why won't my mobo do core 2 duo?

I have an abit AL-8 mobo which is LGA775, I bought this last year when they announced the core duo thingies would be lga775...so I thinks I'll get this and stick in a pentium D til the price comes down a bit.

Now, to my horror I have checked the abit site and found out my mobo isn't compatable :oops: ....could this be fixed in a bios update or is it just fundamentally wrong and will never work on my board?

11 Comments

unlikely a bios update will fix it, as different model processors are a different size/shape (stops you plugging them into the wrong motherboard)

Original Poster

they're both socket lga775 though...that was my point.

dont matter
    it just wont fit/ register

Original Poster

Quote: In fact, the Core 2 can act as a drop-in replacement for a Pentium D or Pentium Extreme Edition, provided that the motherboard is capable of supplying the lower voltages that Core 2 processors require. Only the most recent motherboards seem to have Core 2 support, so you'll want to check carefully with the motherboard maker before assuming a board is compatible.

Original Poster

just won't fit eh?

i am 1 million % sure

if not i will do your chores for 10 years!

why dont u try it buy 1 and see for yourself

like u said u bought the mobo last year - old

Only the most recent motherboards - u said it yourself

Original Poster

i can see it won't work due to incorrect voltages from the motherboard....not due to the fit!

i said or register above too

does not support it so even if u put it in the slot nothing will happen

I did the same and bought an Asrock 775 board with a pentium D about 12 months ago.

Mine isn't Core Duo compatible too.

Down to the chipset and low voltage support probably, from Wikipedia:

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]Conroe, Conroe XE and Allendale all use Socket LGA775; however, not every motherboard is compatible with these processors.

Supporting chipsets are:

* Intel: 865PE/G/GV/G, 945P/PL/G/GZ/GC, P65P/G, 975X, P/G/Q965, Q963, 946GZ/PL; X/P/G/Q 3x
    * NVIDIA: nForce4 Ultra/SLI X16 for Intel, nForce 570/590 SLI for Intel and nForce 650i Ultra/650i SLI/680i SLI.
    * VIA: P4M800, P4M800PRO, P4M890, P4M900, PT880 Pro/Ultra, PT890.
    * SiS: SiS662
    * ATI: Radeon Xpress 200 and CrossFire Xpress 3200 for Intel

Although a motherboard may have the required chipset to support Conroe, some motherboards based on the above mentioned chipsets do not support Conroe. This is because all Conroe-based processors require a new power delivery feature set specified in Voltage Regulator-Down (VRD) 11.0 [1]. This requirement is a result of Conroe's significantly lower power consumption, compared to the Pentium 4/D CPUs it is replacing. A motherboard that has both a supporting chipset and VRD 11 supports Conroe processors, but even then some boards will need an updated BIOS to recognize Conroe's FID (Family ID) and VID (Voltage ID).[/FONT]

Note early socket 775 chipsets such as Intel 915 and early 945 revisions have no support at all. Looks like your motherboard has 945P chipset but probably not 'VRD 11'.

Original Poster

when I bought my motherboard it was a toss up between the one i got and an asus p5nd2-sli...was a bit gutted when I saw nforce 4 on your list but turns out that one isn't compatible either so would have been done either way.

what's the point of keeping the socket the same to be backwards compatible although no motherboards at that time had the power feature necessary.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word survey47
      2. Do cheeky drivers annoy you when they park outside your house and leave it …1018
      3. Try buy that Minecraft Xbone Argos deal? 10% online code in your email!1518
      4. It was forty years ago today......617

See more discussions