Groups
    EXPIRED

Why won't my washing machine spin?

HELP!!!! I have a 12 month old LG washing machine. It wont spin on any cycle. It is digital and I get an error message come up on the display. What is the matter with it?? Anyone help??
    It is out of warranty by 4 days. Typical.

33 Comments

Google the error message, see what it brings up!

Have you tried unplugging it and then giving it a good bash (and maybe talking to it)!!! That's the sort of thing I do and sometimes it does work! Sorry I can't be of any technical help:oops:

Original Poster

birdyboyuk;1809869

Google the error message, see what it brings up!

Ahhhh good one will try!! Thanks much. Rep added!!!!

Actually, you could look on the LG website there may be troubleshooting for your particular model??

When mine did this it was because the motor had become loose.
    You could try leaving unplugged for a few days, it might of come out of it's strop by then!

Never mind the four days out of warranty, the sales of goods act should still cover you, get in touch with LG and see what they say, goodwill and all that! Tell them that you are willing to get an engineer to examine it and see if its an inherrent fault and that if it is the onus is on them to fix it and also cover any costs incurred, also google to see if others get the same problem as this will back you up!

contact LG customer service, 4 days out of warranty is clearly unnaceptable. they will fix it:thumbsup:

Banned

i it was bought in uk with a fixed plug on the cable you should be all right it should be able to get it fixed for 3 year eu rules
    sales of goods act 19 blah blah years

Original Poster

Sheriff Waffles;1809913

When mine did this it was because the motor had become loose.You could … When mine did this it was because the motor had become loose.You could try leaving unplugged for a few days, it might of come out of it's strop by then!

Hahaha!!! Very good. Flamin thing is doing my head in and the washing in mounting!! Can anyone do a couple of loads for me???

Original Poster

Ahha!!! Have just googled it and apparently I either have a kink or a clog in my drain pipe OR a blocked drain filter. OH ER!! So I am off to heave it out!!
    Thanks everyone. I dont know what I would do without you!!!!!

Original Poster

danby jason;1809951

i it was bought in uk with a fixed plug on the cable you should be all … i it was bought in uk with a fixed plug on the cable you should be all right it should be able to get it fixed for 3 year eu rulessales of goods act 19 blah blah years

Thanks very much. If I have no joy with heaving it out I will ring them!!

Original Poster

jtx;1809941

contact LG customer service, 4 days out of warranty is clearly … contact LG customer service, 4 days out of warranty is clearly unnaceptable. they will fix it:thumbsup:

I hope so!! I am broke!!! Thanks!

Original Poster

Sash6304;1809902

Have you tried unplugging it and then giving it a good bash (and maybe … Have you tried unplugging it and then giving it a good bash (and maybe talking to it)!!! That's the sort of thing I do and sometimes it does work! Sorry I can't be of any technical help:oops:

Love it!! If all else fails, bash it!!

The two most common faults that cause this that I have come across are 1) a small item, sock or something similar gets under the drum from the fromt and partially blocks the drain or jams the motor, 2) there is a small reservoir that detects the water level and sometimes clogs up with fluff or scale. This is the most likely of the two and takes only a couple of minutes to clear but is classed as normal wear and tear not an inherent fault. There is no harm in trying but you will most likely have to pay for an engineer if it is either of these faults. The code should give an indication.

Just noted your last post and 2) sounds like the one.

Original Poster

KDH001;1810053

The two most common faults that cause this that I have come across are 1) … The two most common faults that cause this that I have come across are 1) a small item, sock or something similar gets under the drum from the fromt and partially blocks the drain or jams the motor, 2) there is a small reservoir that detects the water level and sometimes clogs up with fluff or scale. This is the most likely of the two and takes only a couple of minutes to clear but is classed as normal wear and tear not an inherent fault. There is no harm in trying but you will most likely have to pay for an engineer if it is either of these faults. The code should give an indication.Just noted your last post and 2) sounds like the one.

Thankyou So much. I have just heaved it out. OMG its dirty on top and flamin heavy!! There is a grey pipe, which I presume is the one I am looking at. Do I need to turn off the water?? (sorry)

You don't need to turn the water off to do as suggested above.

If this fails and the machine still wont spin, then it is probably the brushes on the motor (they are two carbon rods that slot into either side of the motor). This fixed a washing machine of mine with the same problems. They cost about £2.00 each, but you'll need someone who is willing to take the back off the machine and have a go. You'll see two plastic screws. undo these and pull out the old brushes (they are attached to springs - see image), then put in the new ones.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/be/Carbon_brushes.jpg/300px-Carbon_brushes.jpg

Original Poster

Predikuesi;1810306

You don't need to turn the water off to do as suggested above.If this … You don't need to turn the water off to do as suggested above.If this fails and the machine still wont spin, then it is probably the brushes on the motor (they are two carbon rods that slot into either side of the motor). This fixed a washing machine of mine with the same problems. They cost about £2.00 each, but you'll need someone who is willing to take the back off the machine and have a go. You'll see two plastic screws. undo these and pull out the old brushes (they are attached to springs - see image), then put in the new ones.

Oh blimey!!! I have rung my Dad! Good old Dad!! He coming over before I flood the place!! Thankyou so much for your advice and your time. I will show him what you have said.You are very kind! rep added!!

emmaelise;1810364

Oh blimey!!! I have rung my Dad! Good old Dad!! He coming over before I … Oh blimey!!! I have rung my Dad! Good old Dad!! He coming over before I flood the place!! Thankyou so much for your advice and your time. I will show him what you have said.You are very kind! rep added!!

dad's are great

emmaelise;1810037

Love it!! If all else fails, bash it!!

If all else fails, Love prevails. Hug it! :oops:

Yep sounds like brushes to me, worth trying as its a low cost fix so long as the person doing it knows what they are doing.

Worth a mention is that manufacturers will tell you brushes will last for years but I dont think so, not in the real world, we are a family of three adults and our machine does about three or four washes a day so pretty sure this would wear out a set brushes inside 12 months.

its most likely blocked therefore not draining and a machine wont spin unless its drained. most machines have a panel that unhooks to reveal a little area to catch items. find that, clear it, hopefully problem solved.
    i doubt it would be brushes, i had a machine on almost every day for 3 years and it never failed and it was a BEKO lol.

it'll be the brushes, it almost always is.

Unlikely to be brushes in a year. Something trapped in the filter.

tracy013;1810693

dad's are great

even if we have no idea what we're doing, we'll get stuck in and be just as amazed as you are when it works. then after we have finished, we find the obligatory screw that has been left over.

PapaSmurf;1812368

even if we have no idea what we're doing, we'll get stuck in and be just … even if we have no idea what we're doing, we'll get stuck in and be just as amazed as you are when it works. then after we have finished, we find the obligatory screw that has been left over.

i now have a big tub of left over screws. but being a bloke means it doesnt worry me

It will be a blocked filter stopping the machine from draining. I have had to clear this problem several times on a machine in a flat I let out.

PapaSmurf;1812368

even if we have no idea what we're doing, we'll get stuck in and be just … even if we have no idea what we're doing, we'll get stuck in and be just as amazed as you are when it works. then after we have finished, we find the obligatory screw that has been left over.

Yes, that damn last screw leaves you agonising whether to open it back up again and try to find where its from or leave as is and hope for best!
    The last time we had a repair man out under warranty he was obnoxious as hell so when he nipped out to his van I added a couple of largish bolts to his pile he had removed, you could see the worry on his face as he was trying to figure out where they was from!!!

Tried to sign up unsuccessfully last night hoping to try to help on this. Managed today.

Not an expert but encountered the no spin problem twice before.

Coming from the drum is a small plastic chamber. This attaches to a clear tube which rises to a thing looking a bit like a shoe polish tin (artistic license).
    This is a component known as a pressure switch.
    The theory is that when water is in the tub it rises into the plastic chamber & creates pressure in the tube which prevents spinning, if water is still present.
    The plastic tube is held on to the pressure switch outlet by a small clip.
    Open the clip, (might need pliers) & slide it down tube a little so you can remove tube easily.
    At this point it might be safer to try to plug open end of tube with a pen top or similar, (just in case the blockage is on an outlet pipe.
    Now switch machine to a spin cycle & if it drains then spins the problem is a chamber blockage.
    Over time washing powder residue settles in chamber & hardens. As the entry from machine to this chamber has a very small bore, it can clog up very easily.
    The result, being water doesn't quite drain from chamber & pressure switch controlling spin will not operate properly.
    May not be the problem but would be worth trying before dismantling machine & motors.

Original Poster

Thanks to all for your help!!!! The drainage pipe was blocked! It was foul and stank!! My Dad was not pleased! Big up to my DAD and all you lovely people!!!!

Hope your dad showed you how to do it yourself next time, thats what I am going to do with my daughters when they are older. Don't want them to have to rely on possibly dodgy tradesmen. ( I know not all are but some are)

We always put a scoop of soda crystals with every third or fourth wash (usually tea towels or other non clothing laundry) it cleans out the pipes of any residues of wash powder or limescale,they are cheap too at 55p a bag in wilko's, we was told by an engineer it does the same job as calgon for a fraction of the price!

Original Poster

Good Plan. Will do. Thanks.

Original Poster

Pavers;1815886

Hope your dad showed you how to do it yourself next time, thats what I am … Hope your dad showed you how to do it yourself next time, thats what I am going to do with my daughters when they are older. Don't want them to have to rely on possibly dodgy tradesmen. ( I know not all are but some are)

MY Dad is not a dodgy tradesman!!! Hahahahaha

Yes he did show me what to do, and I am very grateful. I am glad I got him over though as he made a right mess!!!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764177
      2. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17406141
      3. Veteran TV host Sir Bruce Forsyth dies at 892326
      4. SNES Classic launches 29th September 2017 - Check for stock and pre-order i…4661378

See more discussions