Why won’t pc ask for serial number?

Posted 28th Nov
I did a fresh install on my pc as I wanted to upgrade the hard drive to an ssd and also put more Ram in it.I did this several weeks ago but I remember when I re-installed Windows I clicked “don’t have a product key”.Couldn’t find it at the time.I suddenly remembered today that I hadn’t done it.Thing is the pc hasn’t asked me for it.Is this normal?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Did you have Windows 10 installed on the PC previously?

If so, the key is stored in the BIOS and doesn’t need to be entered again.

Just check in system settings that it shows as activated, if it does, there’s nothing to worry about.

This is one of the features of Windows 10.
Edited by: "rofiquel" 28th Nov
10 Comments
Does it not have the activate windows at the bottom right? Can you change wallpaper?

Windows does actually allow you to use without a license but they have a stupid watermark and a couple restrictions so me personally I just crack it
Edited by: "Norseg" 28th Nov
Did you have Windows 10 installed on the PC previously?

If so, the key is stored in the BIOS and doesn’t need to be entered again.

Just check in system settings that it shows as activated, if it does, there’s nothing to worry about.

This is one of the features of Windows 10.
Edited by: "rofiquel" 28th Nov
If the machine has previously had the same version of W10 installed then it will phone home the first time the installation connects to the net and auto-reactivate if MS thinks the installation is the same / legit similar.
Go into "about pc" and see what it ssys
Sounds like your PC gone mad
Original Activation key could be saved to your Microsoft account and recognised when you logged in to reinstalled system.
Windows 10 gets tied to the motherboard via the bios on newer systems so you only have to enter the code once.
Gav5728/11/2019 01:29

Original Activation key could be saved to your Microsoft account and …Original Activation key could be saved to your Microsoft account and recognised when you logged in to reinstalled system.

This only happens if you link it to your account, which is great if you make a lot of hardware changes or build a new PC.

AndyRoyd28/11/2019 01:13

If the machine has previously had the same version of W10 installed then …If the machine has previously had the same version of W10 installed then it will phone home the first time the installation connects to the net and auto-reactivate if MS thinks the installation is the same / legit similar.

What he said, those changes weren't enough to change your hardware signature for your digital license stored by Microsoft
Edited by: "4Real2016" 28th Nov
I think it’s because like some people have said with the information being tied into the motherboard bios.Just wondered that’s all as I thought it was strange I never got any prompts asking me to input the serial number.Thanks all
scorpio.iscariot28/11/2019 12:28

I think it’s because like some people have said with the information being …I think it’s because like some people have said with the information being tied into the motherboard bios.Just wondered that’s all as I thought it was strange I never got any prompts asking me to input the serial number.Thanks all

Only if this was a pre-built PC and the manufacturer embedded the key in the bios, this key would only be retrieved by a copy of windows 10 that came with the PC.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions