Groups

Why would a lightbulb just suddenly explode?

Lightbulb blew yesterday, changed it about an hour ago and it just exploded.
    Anybody know why this may be? Dodgy bulb, or dodgy electrics? It didn't trip the fuse or anything when it went bang

19 Comments

Poltergeist!

Probably due to being a flaw in the glass and because of the constant pressure the flaw kept growing to the point it went bang.

Got too hot and shattered?

Not a bright idea

Banned

Suicide caused by boredom ?

What sort of lightbulb was it? If its a halogen bulb or similar it (one which gets very hot in operation) could have been oil or moisture on the glass leading to the glass shattering...

On balance i'd say poorly trained sniper.

Banned

Paranormal activity

Original Poster

deb8z;7069544

Poltergeist!

Oh don't say things like that, lol. I'm home alone with two lo's

dananana;7069547

Probably due to being a flaw in the glass and because of the constant … Probably due to being a flaw in the glass and because of the constant pressure the flaw kept growing to the point it went bang.

So just a dodgy bulb then?

ClarityofMind;7069548

Got too hot and shattered?

I wondered that but it had only been on for an hour max :?

So would it be safe to put another one in? Have just finished locating all the pieces of glass whilst my los where ordered to stay on the sofa!

Thanks to you all :thumbsup:

Original Poster

jah128;7069582

What sort of lightbulb was it? If its a halogen bulb or similar it (one … What sort of lightbulb was it? If its a halogen bulb or similar it (one which gets very hot in operation) could have been oil or moisture on the glass leading to the glass shattering...

Just a candle bulb...

has happened to me a couple of times 1st time bang right above my snooker table felt all burned last time was only last month in living room luckily the light turns upward and had glass shade round it to stop it falling to ground lucky for morrissons as was 1 of their bulbs and my 2 year old was below

Banned

did you hit it with a bat? if not then id go with the badly trained sniper as shengis said

it just happens sometimes

louiseb84;7069606

Just a candle bulb...

A regular filament one - 240V etc - and not on a dimmer?

Probably a dodgy batch of bulbs, dananana is likely correct. You should be okay changing it but if its another from the same batch/supplier it may have the same fault.

PS Wasn't from Poundland was it?

Shengis;7069584

On balance i'd say poorly trained sniper.

fired on the out breath... tut tut tut!!!

Original Poster

jamstaruk1972;7069614

has happened to me a couple of times 1st time bang right above my … has happened to me a couple of times 1st time bang right above my snooker table felt all burned last time was only last month in living room luckily the light turns upward and had glass shade round it to stop it falling to ground lucky for morrissons as was 1 of their bulbs and my 2 year old was below

I've got an uplighter up there but it didn't catch any glass it just exploded everywhere! My two are 2 & 4 and were giving me strange looks as I'm frantically hoovering every nook and cranny & shaking everything in sight whilst ordering them not to move from the sofa

Original Poster

jah128;7069633

A regular filament one - 240V etc - and not on a dimmer?Probably a dodgy … A regular filament one - 240V etc - and not on a dimmer?Probably a dodgy batch of bulbs, dananana is likely correct. You should be okay changing it but if its another from the same batch/supplier it may have the same fault.PS Wasn't from Poundland was it?

Yeh just a regular candle bulb from Wilko I think, as that's where I usually get them from. I'm all out of them for now so I'll have to get one tomorrow. Don't use dimmer switches as I had one go bang on me when I was younger :oops:

Banned

louiseb84;7069644

I've got an uplighter up there but it didn't catch any glass it just … I've got an uplighter up there but it didn't catch any glass it just exploded everywhere! My two are 2 & 4 and were giving me strange looks as I'm frantically hoovering every nook and cranny & shaking everything in sight whilst ordering them not to move from the sofa

Get them into gas masks, could be toxic

If the Bulb is old and therefore becomes brittle. The filament fails and a hot piece drops and short circuits the supply and a minor flash then breaks the glass.

hey, my bulb went on sunday night too! its pretty strange, glass was thrown everywhere! freaked me out thats for sure!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread423914468
      2. Try buy that Minecraft Xbone Argos deal? 10% online code in your email!22
      3. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!553771
      4. Old one pound coins are they worth more then their face value48

See more discussions