Wi Fi?

Found 5th Jun 2009
If I were to take my netbook to somewhere with free wi fi. Would it just be as simple as going to internet connections and searching for a new connection?

Guessing that it will be an unsecured network and will allow me straight on?

Do I need anything 'special' on my netbook to enable me to use wi-fi? I have MSI Wind U100

Many thanks, will leave rep for those that can help.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
5 Comments

If I were to take my netbook to somewhere with free wi fi. Would it just be as simple as going to internet connections and searching for a new connection?

As long as the wifi is open yes

Most places that have free wifi ask you to log on and are often time limited this stops people using up all their broadband for free,

Original Poster

tonyg1962;5412245

Most places that have free wifi ask you to log on and are often time … Most places that have free wifi ask you to log on and are often time limited this stops people using up all their broadband for free,

ahhh right I see.

Thank you both rep left

you should be able to scan for the network and just piggyback online, i do it at mcdonalds all the time, many pubs around here do the same, sitting down drinking a pint and skyping my mates, cant beat it. its very easy to ' login ' most networks in those sort of places are set up just for that reason and that is what makes it easy to do, plus the longer you are there the more custom they will get so its win win, you get online and a drink ( if its a pub place ) and they sell you the beer, at wetherspoons you just open connection and you are online, no login needed no time limit same at mcdonalds, in fact in Blackpool where i live i dont think i have ever had to login, i just scanned for the network and enabled the connection and was online straight away

Original Poster

tinkerbellsteve;5412586

you should be able to scan for the network and just piggyback online, i … you should be able to scan for the network and just piggyback online, i do it at mcdonalds all the time, many pubs around here do the same, sitting down drinking a pint and skyping my mates, cant beat it. its very easy to ' login ' most networks in those sort of places are set up just for that reason and that is what makes it easy to do, plus the longer you are there the more custom they will get so its win win, you get online and a drink ( if its a pub place ) and they sell you the beer, at wetherspoons you just open connection and you are online, no login needed no time limit same at mcdonalds, in fact in Blackpool where i live i dont think i have ever had to login, i just scanned for the network and enabled the connection and was online straight away

thanks for the reply, was very helpful.rep left :thumbsup:
Post a comment
@
    Text