Groups

Wi-Fi USB Connector for connecting a wii, Any good?

I am thinking about using my wii online and have seen this product which you just put into your usb slot and the wii can connect straight to the net through that no wires or routers needed(i have a wired broadband connection you see) Does anyone have any experience of this product? does it cost to use your wii online?

19 Comments

You need to rephrase that a little bit.

You want to use your Wii (which has WiFi built in) to go online but you have a wired internet setup at the moment and you're looking to buy a dongle for your computer to allow the Wii access to the net?

Banned

depends what you connect your broadband with

Original Poster

abomination;3176162

You need to rephrase that a little bit.You want to use your Wii (which … You need to rephrase that a little bit.You want to use your Wii (which has WiFi built in) to go online but you have a wired internet setup at the moment and you're looking to buy a dongle for your computer to allow the Wii access to the net?

that's right i have a wired modem connected to my pc and a nintendo wii. sorry if i got confusing:oops:

Original Poster

you have to keep it simple you see as im not clued up on wireless networks:?

That adapter will be fine. At that price though you would be a hell of a lot better off getting a router. It doesnt cost to play online. Your computer will have to be on if you use that. So a router would be better as thats what that device essentially turns your computer into.

Original Poster

deathtrap3000;3176212

That adapter will be fine. At that price though you would be a hell of a … That adapter will be fine. At that price though you would be a hell of a lot better off getting a router. It doesnt cost to play online. Your computer will have to be on if you use that. So a router would be better as thats what that device essentially turns your computer into.

That is a very helpful post, have some rep:thumbsup:
    Can you tell me exactly what a router is, what it connects to and what i would need to buy please:)

Any wireless dongle would do the job if you used Windows ICS however I'm guessing that Wii dongle in the second post will be somewhat easier to setup.

Original Poster

abomination;3176233

Any wireless dongle would do the job if you used Windows ICS however I'm … Any wireless dongle would do the job if you used Windows ICS however I'm guessing that Wii dongle in the second post will be somewhat easier to setup.

so a wireless dongle sends out your existing broadband connection so your wii or other wireless devices can pick it up?

A router splits the internet connection to different computers. It will sit either in between the modem and the computer or replace the modem altogether.

What broadband provider have you got?

Original Poster

deathtrap3000;3176297

A router splits the internet connection to different computers. It will … A router splits the internet connection to different computers. It will sit either in between the modem and the computer or replace the modem altogether. What broadband provider have you got?

tiscali
    So you aren't required to use the modem you are given when you sign up to your broadband contract, as you say it can replace the modem altogether?

Banned

suely if he only has a wired modem this will not work? sorry im not up on techie stuff but when i had broadband before wireless i couldnt just add an apdapter to my lappy to make a wireless connection

badgerrules;3176280

so a wireless dongle sends out your existing broadband connection so your … so a wireless dongle sends out your existing broadband connection so your wii or other wireless devices can pick it up?

A dongle simply provides the means for other equipment to connect to your computer or vice versa [OR] for your computer to connect to an access point (wireless router).

Windows (or the software you receive) will handle the internet (broadband) aspect.

sassie;3176308

suely if he only has a wired modem this will not work? sorry im not up on … suely if he only has a wired modem this will not work? sorry im not up on techie stuff but when i had broadband before wireless i couldnt just add an apdapter to my lappy to make a wireless connection

A computer running Windows is more than capable of sharing the internet connection available to it with other machines (be it wired or wireless) :).

Banned

abomination;3176330

A dongle simply provides the means for other equipment to connect to your … A dongle simply provides the means for other equipment to connect to your computer or vice versa [OR] for your computer to connect to an access point (wireless router).Windows (or the software you receive) will handle the internet (broadband) aspect.A computer running Windows is more than capable of sharing the internet connection available to it with other machines (be it wired or wireless) :).

yes, i understand that, i meant doesnt the modem have to be wireless enabled, before i had the livebx i had one you lugged in via a usb and could not add a dongle to make it wireless, sorry if im not making sense

badgerrules;3176306

tiscaliSo you aren't required to use the modem you are given when you … tiscaliSo you aren't required to use the modem you are given when you sign up to your broadband contract, as you say it can replace the modem altogether?

Yeh thats right.

This router is a bit more than the dongle but is worth it in my opinion.
    play.com/PC/…nre

Original Poster

deathtrap3000;3176348

Yeh thats right.This router is a bit more than the dongle but is worth it … Yeh thats right.This router is a bit more than the dongle but is worth it in my opinion. http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/-/660/867/-/4977375/D-Link-DSL-2640B-ADSL2-2+-Modem-Wireless-Router/Product.html?searchtype=genre

Does sound good as i wouldn't want the dongle to over heat. Would this router definately work with my wii then?

sassie;3176347

yes, i understand that, i meant doesnt the modem have to be wireless … yes, i understand that, i meant doesnt the modem have to be wireless enabled, before i had the livebx i had one you lugged in via a usb and could not add a dongle to make it wireless, sorry if im not making sense

I understand what you're asking; the modem need not be wireless so long as the computer itself is wireless capable - it merely has to provide the internet connection to the computer (be it through USB or Ethernet).

Some people use their wireless laptop to enable their Xbox 360 to get online which is wired to the laptop, which is itself connected to the wireless router.

Yeh it will work.
    But before you buy it, look on the back of your computer and make sure it has a ethernet port.

http://www.publicwebstations.com/howto/ethernet.jpg

Banned

abomination;3176392

I understand what you're asking; the modem need not be wireless so long … I understand what you're asking; the modem need not be wireless so long as the computer itself is wireless capable - it merely has to provide the internet connection to the computer (be it through USB or Ethernet).Some people use their wireless laptop to enable their Xbox 360 to get online which is wired to the laptop, which is itself connected to the wireless router.

oh right, i didnt know that, thanks very much :thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …164406
      2. New Nintendo 3DS XL – SNES Edition available in UK from October921
      3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846290
      4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread416014106

See more discussions