Wife got a suspicious text message claiming she had signed up to fit mate tv , £3 week with first 24 hours free, seems like a scam dunno what to do

Found 14th Apr
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
Don't text 'STOP' back if it says to. That will probably be the scam. If she gets charged contact the phone company, they should either contact the fit tv company or give her a number to contact them - a non premium number.
She needs to disable premium texts on her contract. They might **** about how you can't make payments with your phone anymore but it's worth it. I got stung by a YouTube video link tht my phone randomly played when i hadnt turned it off and it's as easy as that.
Edited by moderator: "removed swear word" 15th Apr
Delete, don't text back, forget about it.
If you don’t recognise the sender, don’t reply.

Yeah, and don't reply STOP unless it's from a legitimate organisation.

Forward the spam text message to vspam on 7726.
Edited by: "LemonHead" 14th Apr
Might be a good idea to follow mrty's and kester's advice as well.
Edited by: "LemonHead" 15th Apr
Maybe she accidentally signed up to this service somehow. There is a number on their website (http://www.fitmate.tv) that you can call to query this (use a withheld number when calling to avoid spam though).

Alternatively, you can contact your wife's network and bar this number
Edited by: "jamie015" 15th Apr
Block the number.
Contrary to all these posts saying not to text STOP there is a high chance you DO need to text it. These companies rely on you doing exactly what people above have said, blocking and deleting the messages, but just because you don't see the messages that come through in the future doesn't mean that they don't charge you for them, they can and they most likely will.

Ifin doubt call your provider, run the short code it was sent from past them and then do as advised. Ignoring really isn't a good idea.
Thanks for the help think I'll phone trsco we have a £,2.50 buffer so should help
Maybe she did sign up to fit mates, and worried as you found out
Closed a pop up browser tab the other week. Instantly got text message saying thanks for subscribing to jam jar play at £4.50 a week.
Checked account and money had been taken. Called Three, blocked premium numbers etc and they confirmed the stop reply wouldn't cost me a thing but must be done.
Wise to check with provider as scam can be either what I had or the reply text costing a fortune.
Reported jam jar play to fraud office and got crime reference number. Just got my £4.50 back the other day.
Thanks guys just added the bar thing through Tesco although the £2.50 buffer probably was sufficient
Kurando11 h, 40 m ago

Contrary to all these posts saying not to text STOP there is a high chance …Contrary to all these posts saying not to text STOP there is a high chance you DO need to text it. These companies rely on you doing exactly what people above have said, blocking and deleting the messages, but just because you don't see the messages that come through in the future doesn't mean that they don't charge you for them, they can and they most likely will. Ifin doubt call your provider, run the short code it was sent from past them and then do as advised. Ignoring really isn't a good idea.

Your advice to reply 'STOP' is valid if you know or believe that you have subscribed in error, but in this case where you don't believe that is the case texting the number they provide could cost you dearly.
As others have stated, the first thing to do is to content your phone provider and ask their advice - they deal with these issues on a daily basis.
I got a text as well completely out of the blue, never heard of fitmate until today.

Phoned them up using the number on their website, guy confirmed I hadn't been charged and said he removed me from the system.

He asked if I was using my phone or had YouTube open at all which I confirmed I didn't so he wasn't sure why it happened. Solved super quickly and easily.

If you have a text from them, phone the 0330 number on their website!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants