Wifi booster

Posted 15th Dec 2019
I have a poor internet signal upstairs, can anyone recommend a decent booster please?
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
I went with a power line adapter myself rather than a booster if that’s an option for you
KMonkey15/12/2019 09:03

I went with a power line adapter myself rather than a booster if that’s an …I went with a power line adapter myself rather than a booster if that’s an option for you

Thanks, is that where they have to be on the same circuit?
KMonkey15/12/2019 09:03

I went with a power line adapter myself rather than a booster if that’s an …I went with a power line adapter myself rather than a booster if that’s an option for you

Powerline adapters

Where is your router situated?
psychedelicrenegade15/12/2019 09:06

Powerline adapters Where is your router situated?

Downstairs in office but cant get wifi in my bedroom and 2 of the kids bedrooms really struggle
You can link multiple powerline adapters of the same model so you have your main adapter hardwired beside your router then you could have an adapter in yours and kids bedrooms.
My WiFi signal was poor in my conservatory where my sons Xbox is, this worked well for me
argos.co.uk/pro…754

just noticed not available at any stores now
Edited by: "djgraemeb" 15th Dec 2019
I would thoroughly recommend the Tenda MW3 mesh system from ebuyer, I struggled with powerline and boosters for years, never getting a good result due to thick walls and tired wiring.
Invested in the mesh from Tenda and get excellent signal throughout the flat.
It's available from Amazon on prime if you want to test it and return it - but the ebuyer one has the MW6 as Primary node, which makes it faster apparently. I have MW3 system.
We got a TP-Link Wi-Fi Range Extender, was around £20 and solved the problem.
The key is to find the correct placement for it upstairs to get the best signal, many people just plug it anywhere and expect it give 5 bars, you need spend a few minutes trying it out at different locations
Edited by: "Sandy1012" 15th Dec 2019
not sure if these would be any good as well? maybe in office and bedroom?

"LAP 13A 2-Gang SP Switched Wi-Fi Extender + 2.1A 1-Outlet USB Charger White" and thought of you! screwfix.com/p/l…8fv
slamb15/12/2019 09:53

I would thoroughly recommend the Tenda MW3 mesh system from ebuyer, I …I would thoroughly recommend the Tenda MW3 mesh system from ebuyer, I struggled with powerline and boosters for years, never getting a good result due to thick walls and tired wiring. Invested in the mesh from Tenda and get excellent signal throughout the flat.It's available from Amazon on prime if you want to test it and return it - but the ebuyer one has the MW6 as Primary node, which makes it faster apparently. I have MW3 system.

I think I may go for the mw6 as that covers 6000sqft which is more than enough where as the nw3 I would be pushing it a bit. Thanks for your help
Depending on your budget, the new google nest WiFi or better still something like Ubiquiti AmpliFi are both excellent mesh systems.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions