WIFI 'box' that provides internet through ethernet cable to PC?

Found 19th Apr
Long story short, I have recently had to move my PC to another room, and because of this, I now have to use WIFI, so I ended up buying a Netgear WIFI dongle, and also a Linksys WIFI dongle a few weeks later (will explain later). Now, I've been using WIFI fine, but due to some sort of fault in my motherboard, when I am downloading something at over 1MB/Per Second, my motherboard will turn off the network adapter, and not allow me to turn it back on unless I restart the PC (I have also tried to fix this issue, tried every fix in the book, but it just won't go away), I've also tried another dongle, just in case it was because of the dongle, but once again, same issue arises.

So now, I've come to the conclusion of using Ethernet again to make my PC functional. Now, obviously I can't just buy a long Ethernet cable as that would lose a lot of internet speed, plus I would need to route a 100m Ethernet cable through my home due to my room being a little far away from the router.

Now, save all the other tips, all I want to know is, is there a device that uses WIFI, but has an Ethernet cable attached to it, so the Ethernet cable is connected to my PC from this said WIFI box, and the WIFI box is providing the internet. If so, where would I find one, are there any good ones about, and what are they called? Thank you.
Any help is much appreciated.

TLDR: Need a WIFI box that connects to my router, and has an Ethernet cable connected to it, providing my PC with internet through the Ethernet PC port, thank you.

1. Ask
  2. PC
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. PC
18 Comments

The box exists, it is called a wireless bridge. You might want also look at powerline adapters.

Original Poster

wobinb

The box exists, it is called a wireless bridge. You might want also look … The box exists, it is called a wireless bridge. You might want also look at powerline adapters.

I should have mentioned in the main post, the room my PC is in has one power outlet, I'm not comfortable adding a extension on to a powerline that has a passthrough, as I'd be connecting roughly 8 different devices to it. Thank you for the advice though. Will look in to WIFI bridge.

could you not just get a router and put it in some sort of bridge mode so it talks to you main router via WiFi and your pc is etherneted to this new router?

As mentioned above, some routers can be set up as a bridge.

Original Poster

t3rm3y

could you not just get a router and put it in some sort of bridge mode so … could you not just get a router and put it in some sort of bridge mode so it talks to you main router via WiFi and your pc is etherneted to this new router?

Sounds like a good idea, wonder if there's any guides on this as I actually have a few old routers laying around.

If they can't do bridge mode out of the box you can sometimes upload an alternative firmware that does allow it. Search for dd-wrt for example.

there is a bit of kit you can buy (cant remember the makers name). We have wifi router in room a. then this bit of kit that plugs into a single plug socket (with a three pin outlet on it so you dont lose the power socket) and you connect it to the router via an ethernet cable. this in effect turns your electric circuit into a wifi network. in room b you then plug in another bit of kit that extends your wifi into that room AND allows you to plug an ethernet cable into it. so like plugging in an ethernet connection in room b to the router in room a. sure you lose some speed. but not as much as having a 100m cable.

Cheapest of the cheap for a new item will likely be £3.36 delivered ex-UK amazon.co.uk/gp/…KA/ and same as other options: performance will depend on distance and obstacles between router and the adapter.

I use the Xiaomi Mi Router Mini with the Padavan firmware, three Ethernet ports and 2.4/5ghz wifi. I have mine setup to connect to my main router on 5ghz and get a connection of 500-800mbps (currently at 780mbps), it then distributes that out over the Ethernet and repeats over the 2.4ghz wifi as well. It was about £20 and the firmware is easy enough to flash. Folds almost flat as well for travelling etc.

http://www.tnrlighting.net/ebay/mirouter/2.jpg

A wireless access point is what you need. I've had good experiences with the zyxel ones available around £16, dead easy to set up using the built-in software.

Original Poster

wobinb

guide … guide here:http://lifehacker.com/how-to-supercharge-your-router-with-dd-wrt-508138224

Attempting this right now with my Asus N55U, finding it a little difficult. Is there a way to just make my router a wireless access point? A way to maybe connect the ASUS N55U to my Sky Router through wifi?

Original Poster

So, new question guys, have a Asus N55u dsl router laying around, connected it to my pc, now need to find a way to wirelessly connect this Asus N55u router to my main router, (one of the new sky routers), I'm currently in the router page for the asus, going through the settings, but have no idea how to connect it to my sky router through wifi and then let it send internet through the ethernet cable attached to it to my pc?

I use one of these, been around a while so there are newer ones. I've used it in everything from TV to android boxes with dodgy wifi.
Vonets bridge

f2k8

Attempting this right now with my Asus N55U, finding it a little … Attempting this right now with my Asus N55U, finding it a little difficult. Is there a way to just make my router a wireless access point? A way to maybe connect the ASUS N55U to my Sky Router through wifi?

2minute YT vid shows how to sort on Asus RT-N12 router and looks v starightforward for that model. N55U may (or may not?) be similar youtube.com/wat…LSs but if not, there's the hidden wireless bridge page in your N55's config at http://192.168.1.1/Advanced_WMode_Content.asp from firmware 3.0.0.4.374_1397 added in "Wireless" section, under "WDS" tab, or you could wade thru some geeky thread for successful implementation on an N56 and see if similar can be applied to your N55 at
forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/nex…tml

Original Poster

AndyRoyd

2minute YT vid shows how to sort on Asus RT-N12 router and looks v … 2minute YT vid shows how to sort on Asus RT-N12 router and looks v starightforward for that model. N55U may (or may not?) be similar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-PKRsLCLSs but if not, there's the hidden wireless bridge page in your N55's config at http://192.168.1.1/Advanced_WMode_Content.asp from firmware 3.0.0.4.374_1397 added in "Wireless" section, under "WDS" tab, or you could wade thru some geeky thread for successful implementation on an N56 and see if similar can be applied to your N55 athttp://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/next-generation-broadband-network-ngbn-forum-320/asus-rt-n56u-secondary-router-wireless-bridge-possible-4480164.html

Also found that YT video earlier, doesn't explain on how I actually connect my Asus to my Sky router, on the Asus I can click on that link you posted for the wmode, but on that page it doesn't actually show you wireless routers that I can connect to, just says to enter in mac addresses and stuff and looks like jargon to me..

A TP-Link Nano Router should do want you want. About £20 on Amazon

f2k8

Also found that YT video earlier, doesn't explain on how I actually … Also found that YT video earlier, doesn't explain on how I actually connect my Asus to my Sky router, on the Asus I can click on that link you posted for the wmode, but on that page it doesn't actually show you wireless routers that I can connect to, just says to enter in mac addresses and stuff and looks like jargon to me..

I can't find an image of that specific N55U config page, but did find one possibly similar for AC5300 and maybe somebody can interpret as it is interactive ec2-54-202-251-7.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com/Adv…asp
Otherwise, your N55 could raise £25+ via ebay and yug0's suggestion of TPLink Nano is £19.99 dlvd Currys/PCW with 3yr wty
or my suggestion of bargain basement £3.36 dlvd ex-UK amazon.co.uk/gp/…KA/
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769183
    2. £2.00 Cash Back fron Topcashback on Pumpkins via the app12
    3. Marmite1722
    4. The HUKD home for Star Trek: Discovery2382

See more discussions