Wifi Dongle

Posted 7th Oct
Hi folks - having to move my PC to another room that doesn't have an ethernet connection. Don't fancy running 50ft of ethernet cable, so thought I could make the PC wireless instead.

Can anyone recommend a decent Wifi card or usb device that works (i.e. doesn't drop out or freeze all the time) with windows 10?

Loads of these on amazon or Ebay for a few quid... but thought it better to ask and see if someone is using one that works well and can recommend it.

Thank you in advance.
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

6 Comments
Homeplugs, and you can then keep it wired. Just depends on budget really.

Also do you know that wireless reaches into this other room ? Because if you have one of these iffy free routers you could have nothing but problems trying to use wifi far away from the router.
Edited by: "m1keyp1key" 7th Oct
Check if the intended location of PC has decent wifi coverage (just note signal level on smartphone or similar). If reasonable, maximise signal for PC by using a device with external antenna / extension cable for best positioning. I use one of these AC-rated USB £7.99 Prime items with some ancient USB extension cable for one of my remote Win10 boxes no issues. A decent Belkin branded 1.8mtr USB2 extension cable is about £2 Amazon Prime.
m1keyp1key07/10/2019 14:14

Homeplugs, and you can then keep it wired. Just depends on budget really. …Homeplugs, and you can then keep it wired. Just depends on budget really. Also do you know that wireless reaches into this other room ? Because if you have one of these iffy free routers you could have nothing but problems trying to use wifi far away from the router.

Yes- Wifi signal is good in that room - it's a 2 bedroom flat... so not a lot of distance from the router direct (but cable would have to be run along several corners etc). Rather not spend a lot... PC is only used occasionally... and most often as a Plex server.

I've got the Hyperoptic default router - not great, but OK for the small flat.
Edited by: "r2mahara" 7th Oct
AndyRoyd07/10/2019 14:28

Check if the intended location of PC has decent wifi coverage (just note …Check if the intended location of PC has decent wifi coverage (just note signal level on smartphone or similar). If reasonable, maximise signal for PC by using a device with external antenna / extension cable for best positioning. I use one of these AC-rated USB £7.99 Prime items with some ancient USB extension cable for one of my remote Win10 boxes no issues. A decent Belkin branded 1.8mtr USB2 extension cable is about £2 Amazon Prime.

That's a good shout (the external antenna) - these are bound to be better than the tiny ones that look like a low profile USB stick! As noted above - Wifi signal is OK. If I I can get a dongle that picks up Wifi as good as my mobile that'll be fine. My internet connection is 50mbps.

I'll likely go for something like what you linked.

I just had a thought - I have a few old routers from previous service providers (BT/Sky/Plusnet) - I wonder if a router can be used for this purpose (i.e. connect it to your existing Wifi network in client mode. and plug it to the PC using ethernet cable)... Hmm...
r2mahara07/10/2019 16:00

That's a good shout (the external antenna) - these are bound to be better …That's a good shout (the external antenna) - these are bound to be better than the tiny ones that look like a low profile USB stick! As noted above - Wifi signal is OK. If I I can get a dongle that picks up Wifi as good as my mobile that'll be fine. My internet connection is 50mbps.I'll likely go for something like what you linked.I just had a thought - I have a few old routers from previous service providers (BT/Sky/Plusnet) - I wonder if a router can be used for this purpose (i.e. connect it to your existing Wifi network in client mode. and plug it to the PC using ethernet cable)... Hmm...

Some ISP routers can be used as bridges. No doubt there would be a debate about a router''s significantly higher power consumption cost / green recycle impact compared to new-manufacture lower-power-consumption USB device.
AndyRoyd07/10/2019 16:31

Some ISP routers can be used as bridges. No doubt there would be a debate …Some ISP routers can be used as bridges. No doubt there would be a debate about a router''s significantly higher power consumption cost / green recycle impact compared to new-manufacture lower-power-consumption USB device.

Yeah I'd thought of the power consumption factor afterwards... Probably better with a USB dongle... Too much faffing around trying to get an old router to work anyway!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants