Wifi dongle

Posted 18th Mar
Hi,
I was hoping someone could point in the direction of a wifi transmitter/dongle.
I am thinking of getting my grandmother a Echo Show, so that she can make video calls to the rest of the family. However, she does not have internet access.

Ideally we would want it setup quite quickly, so was wondering what is the bestvalue way of getting a wifi transmitter/dongle. Does anyone know of any good deals currently?

Many Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

11 Comments
I used to use a router that accepted a 4g dongle then the dongle gets a data sim that you setup the network on. however a quick look you can now get the router that has the sim slot on it already.

amazon.co.uk/Ten…WU=
another option in these testing times maybe ask next door if you have have their wifi password for this activity? I certainly would share if it was for this genuine purpose.
Edited by: "KapA" 18th Mar
How about one of your old contract phones with a cheap data sim in it for a hot spot, or maybe just set up WhatsApp and use the video call feature you can even have a group video chat with upto 4 people
ding18/03/2020 09:37

How about one of your old contract phones with a cheap data sim in it for …How about one of your old contract phones with a cheap data sim in it for a hot spot, or maybe just set up WhatsApp and use the video call feature you can even have a group video chat with upto 4 people

Thank yo for the quick responses. My grandmother is quite a techphobe, she has a mobile phone, but does not use it. So putting whats app on it, I am afraid will not work. Also she is 92, so her eye sight is quite poor, so I think the phone screen size might be small.

However, you have given me the great solution. If that phone allows you to hotspot. Then, as you suggest a cheap data sim would work. The Echo Show could connect to this, and all would be good.
Something like smile.amazon.co.uk/E55…8-3 would be perfect without having to use a phone as a hot spot. Just leave it plugged into the mains with a sim in.
Edited by: "Woozie64" 18th Mar
Voxi ( Vodafone) have good sim only deals . I have 6Gb of Data , unlimitted calls and text for £10 / 30days pay as you go but paid through direct debit.Often they have offers for more data, currently I have 8Gb for the £10 for 2 years. Voxi also allow use of Whatsapp without using your own data allowance too. If you could set a smart phone as a wifi hotspot (tethering ) as suggested by Ding, that would be enough to use Alexa and ring all the family as much as she wanted. As you say the hard part is getting seniors to understand how these things operate.
A wi-fi dongle generally refers to a wi-fi radio operated by a device to allow it to connect to wi-fi networks.

It sounds like what you're asking for is something which connects to the internet and sets up a wi-fi network to allow devices with wi-fi to connect to it and use the internet. That sort of device is called a router or wi-fi router.

They come is various types depending on how they connect to the internet. The ones above are both mobile broadband routers - they connect via the mobile phone network and use the same contracts and sim card setup as a mobile phone
Assume her place have good signal with three, get smarty or superdrug mobile unlimited data for £20 a month.

Phone charger and plug mifi in 24/7
uk.webuy.com/pro…ked

Alternative is set up home broadband.
yorkie1218/03/2020 10:52

Voxi ( Vodafone) have good sim only deals . I have 6Gb of Data , …Voxi ( Vodafone) have good sim only deals . I have 6Gb of Data , unlimitted calls and text for £10 / 30days pay as you go but paid through direct debit.Often they have offers for more data, currently I have 8Gb for the £10 for 2 years. Voxi also allow use of Whatsapp without using your own data allowance too. If you could set a smart phone as a wifi hotspot (tethering ) as suggested by Ding, that would be enough to use Alexa and ring all the family as much as she wanted. As you say the hard part is getting seniors to understand how these things operate.

Actually unlimited data via Voxi's £10/m 6GB no contract no credit check deal, until Voxi graduates counting college. Even includes unlim pic msging. Just saying.
16 March 2020 unlim everything £10 Voxi hotukdeals.com/dis…884
Thanks everyone, very kind of you all to take the time to comment. It is much appreciated.
I will proceed with this.
allsa00118/03/2020 09:52

Thank yo for the quick responses. My grandmother is quite a techphobe, she …Thank yo for the quick responses. My grandmother is quite a techphobe, she has a mobile phone, but does not use it. So putting whats app on it, I am afraid will not work. Also she is 92, so her eye sight is quite poor, so I think the phone screen size might be small.However, you have given me the great solution. If that phone allows you to hotspot. Then, as you suggest a cheap data sim would work. The Echo Show could connect to this, and all would be good.

Any old battered Android smartphone unlocked to network SIM of your choice, set a script / app to run the hotspot at turn on, example:
play.google.com/sto…ing
When finished with the requirement, turn phone off. Charge as and when required, or keep it simple:
Plug phone charger and Echo into one multi-socket mains extension lead, then
"gran, when you turn this extension lead on, also turn the phone on and turn the Echo on. Then turn everything off off when finished".
That's about as simple as it gets.
Be wary of some phone manufacturer hotspot implementations that limit duration of hotspot if the hotspot is not used for 5 / 15 / 30 / xx mins.
You could optionally leave a phone permanently charging (maybe with hotspot permanently on), but likely not appropariate with users that may forget to monitor occasionally.
If fixed max £10/m for unlimited data is acceptable until the requirement ends, consider the quirk unlimited Voxi (Vodafone) no-contract no-credit-check SIM option mentioned in earlier post hotukdeals.com/com…996
Doesn't she have a land-line so broadband can be added?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants