Wifi extender

Found 17th Aug 2017
I live in a small 2 bed flat & my download speed on standard broadband is 23mbps. However, the wifi is appalling, despite having a sky wifi extender. Can anyone please tell me the best way to improve the wifi in the bedrooms, as it's almost impossible to watch anything & pages take an age to load or time out completely. Many thanks in advance for any advice.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
18 Comments

I would get a homeplug, they are awsome!

Hardwire it...but that means running a cable upstairs or use powerline adapters. Get a set for anything from £10 (too cheap, probably not good) up to hundreds of pounds (too expensive). Just watch the speed - for streaming and gaming, the higher the better.
Powerline adapters aren't infallible though. They can affected by interference from devices on the same ring main, but usually only when switching them on and off.
Edited by: "mrty" 17th Aug 2017

Wi-fi extenders are somewhat niche bits of kit and generally the last solution you should try after all else has failed or been ruled out.

Have you tried moving it to other locations? The ideal location is somewhere with a strong signal (so the router-extender connection is fast) but closer to the trouble spot than the router (so the extender-device connection is faster).

Sticking it in the bad wi-fi area isn't going to do anything, it gets exactly the same speed as a wi-fi device so it won't improve the connection at all.

An ethernet cable to a wi-fi access point is the best option in terms of speed. If a cable isn't an option, then powerline is usually the second choice. It's a bit slower and doesn't always work as mrty says.

First thing to consider is where is the router and what is arround it. Try not to place next to anything solid - especially anything metal or a fish tank. Also raise it up if you can have it as high up as the cable will allow.

If you have a decent wifi extender you won't get any issues. I get full throughput of my router from my wifi extender, no loss of speed or drop outs what so ever. I'm not sure of the quality of Sky kit, but It could be something simple like overlap issues with your wifi channels, you should change the channels first to see if that helps in any way.

I used a SKY WIFI extender and it made the problem worse, we have one bedroom that is a bit of WIFI blackspot (now powerlined) but the extender just made the speeds worse in the rest of the upstairs rooms and had no effect on the problem room at all.

Get a better router, the Sky one is rubbish. Either get a combined modem/router, or just a router and switch the Sky one to modem mode only. I would try this before messing with extenders or powerlines, as both can be unreliable. I live in a 3 bed flat and had the same problem, but after getting a ~£80 Netgear combined modem/router from Amazon and ditching the Sky one entirely, no issues with WiFi reliability anywhere.

Original Poster

Muir9 h, 30 m ago

Get a better router, the Sky one is rubbish. Either get a combined …Get a better router, the Sky one is rubbish. Either get a combined modem/router, or just a router and switch the Sky one to modem mode only. I would try this before messing with extenders or powerlines, as both can be unreliable. I live in a 3 bed flat and had the same problem, but after getting a ~£80 Netgear combined modem/router from Amazon and ditching the Sky one entirely, no issues with WiFi reliability anywhere.

I tried using a different router, but couldn't get it to work. It would appear that you have no option but to use the Sky router, if you know a way around this I would really love to hear it please as I tried using a netgear router.

Original Poster

Thanks for taking the time to reply everyone, much appreciated.

plymouthgal16 m ago

I tried using a different router, but couldn't get it to work. It would …I tried using a different router, but couldn't get it to work. It would appear that you have no option but to use the Sky router, if you know a way around this I would really love to hear it please as I tried using a netgear router.

You can definitely get around it. You can set the Sky router to modem-only mode, and then connect it to your WiFi router using Ethernet cable. I don't know the exact steps, because I bought a router that can replace the Sky one entirely. It made a huge difference.

plymouthgal8 h, 58 m ago

I tried using a different router, but couldn't get it to work. It would …I tried using a different router, but couldn't get it to work. It would appear that you have no option but to use the Sky router, if you know a way around this I would really love to hear it please as I tried using a netgear router.

You have to extract the username/password from the router I believe. This always used to be the case as Sky don't allow your own equipment, I'm going back a few years so they may have changed their view on this. Doing a quick search would indicate it's still the case but don't let that put you off, plenty of guides about the internet how to change this yourself. Here is one of many taupila.co.uk/blo…er/

Power line adapters the ones use your elec cables v good

I used a tp link extender for a few years. Finally gave up last week. However paid about £15 for it back then and has been worth it. It gave me a good signal cover the full gardens aswell.

Would also suggest checking ur channels. The wifi analyser app will suggest what channel to switch ur router to after scanning it. Has helped slightly in the past few days
Edited by: "WDTV123" 18th Aug 2017

Where were you putting the extender? If it's too close to the "dead zone", then it won't find much to extend. The other issue with extenders is that it has to resend on the same, so only half the wifi throughput is available.

Some of the cheaper models (not sure about the Sky) have options to act as an AP instead, if you can run an Ethernet cable to it - or connect using a pair of homeplugs.

You can also get a homeplug Wifi kit - one goes by the router and the other one has the wifi and goes where needed.

Homeplugs can have their issues too, the limited coupling between separate upstairs and downstairs ring mains may reduce the homeplug signal, losing speed or failing to connect - I really must make a proper test of my pair (£2 from charity shop) - they do appear to sync from upstairs to downstairs, even when I try to mess it up by using an extension (they should plug direct into the wall socket, as extension cables and things on them will also lose some signal.

With a 23Mbps speed, you shouldn't need gigabit homeplugs, unless you have something that need very high speed LAN connection between local systems.

The super-cheap option with wifi - amazon.co.uk/BT-…Z3G

It is very difficult to find powerline + wifi + passthrough - this set only has passthrough on the router side one, not the wifi side - and remember, you should not put them on an extension lead as it degrades the signal - amazon.co.uk/Pas…8O/
Edited by: "matth9999" 19th Aug 2017

Original Poster

matth99999 h, 39 m ago

Where were you putting the extender? If it's too close to the "dead zone", …Where were you putting the extender? If it's too close to the "dead zone", then it won't find much to extend. The other issue with extenders is that it has to resend on the same, so only half the wifi throughput is available.Some of the cheaper models (not sure about the Sky) have options to act as an AP instead, if you can run an Ethernet cable to it - or connect using a pair of homeplugs.You can also get a homeplug Wifi kit - one goes by the router and the other one has the wifi and goes where needed.Homeplugs can have their issues too, the limited coupling between separate upstairs and downstairs ring mains may reduce the homeplug signal, losing speed or failing to connect - I really must make a proper test of my pair (£2 from charity shop) - they do appear to sync from upstairs to downstairs, even when I try to mess it up by using an extension (they should plug direct into the wall socket, as extension cables and things on them will also lose some signal.With a 23Mbps speed, you shouldn't need gigabit homeplugs, unless you have something that need very high speed LAN connection between local systems.The super-cheap option with wifi - https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-Essentials-Wi-Fi-Powerline-500/dp/B06Y5T6Z3GIt is very difficult to find powerline + wifi + passthrough - this set only has passthrough on the router side one, not the wifi side - and remember, you should not put them on an extension lead as it degrades the signal - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Passthrough-Configuration-UK-TL-WPA4226KIT-V1-20/dp/B01HD20F8O/

Thanks very much for the detailed answer, much appreciated 😃

I went through all oid the above.

This is what helped.

Called sky persistently whenever the WiFi was bad to all for support and in the most polite manner. They'll take you through the settings and get you to do speed tests etc. I did this for about a month and each time you must close the conversation saying your not really happy as you have been on forums on the internet where it has been explained that the kit is poor from the wifi point of view. Which it is and is not fit for purpose. You need tho explain that many people have done workarounds by buying their own kit which is unfair since you are paying for a service from sky which you are not getting. If questioned on this last little bit or they try to fob you off brag up the rest of the service where you can but keep to your guns that the wifi is bad and that almost everything these days is wifi dependant.
The reason for going through all of the above and where you are heading is that you want them to to replace your current router with the new sky Q router. You won't need the extended then either. I did this and even got the satellite boxes upgrade too.
All wifi issues have gone. I may still have to reboot the router now and again but very rarely which we can live with. Theres not much tech that doesn't need a reboot now and again anyway.
Hope this helps you

Original Poster

chezzaz12 h, 12 m ago

I went through all oid the above. This is what helped. Called sky …I went through all oid the above. This is what helped. Called sky persistently whenever the WiFi was bad to all for support and in the most polite manner. They'll take you through the settings and get you to do speed tests etc. I did this for about a month and each time you must close the conversation saying your not really happy as you have been on forums on the internet where it has been explained that the kit is poor from the wifi point of view. Which it is and is not fit for purpose. You need tho explain that many people have done workarounds by buying their own kit which is unfair since you are paying for a service from sky which you are not getting. If questioned on this last little bit or they try to fob you off brag up the rest of the service where you can but keep to your guns that the wifi is bad and that almost everything these days is wifi dependant. The reason for going through all of the above and where you are heading is that you want them to to replace your current router with the new sky Q router. You won't need the extended then either. I did this and even got the satellite boxes upgrade too. All wifi issues have gone. I may still have to reboot the router now and again but very rarely which we can live with. Theres not much tech that doesn't need a reboot now and again anyway. Hope this helps you

Thanks very much, I'll give it a go!
Post a comment
@
    Text