Wifi Extender Help Please!

Posted 3rd Jun
Hi Guys

Is anyone able to help a very technically unsavvy girl out please?

We recently ditched our cruddy Sky Fibre Broadband in favour of a Wifi Huawei AI Cube from 3. We are getting much more decent speeds now, but have noticed a couple of dead spots in the house...so we are thinking of getting a Wifi Extender to hopefully remedy the problem.

What are the important things we should be looking for? We're low on funds so the cheaper the better but what matters here?
Is the transfer speed of significant importance...ie is the faster the speed the better?

Any advice or personal experiences with this greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
I bought one of these and use it with my sky router to extend the range, so far so good for us, not sure how they behave with the AI Cube. hotukdeals.com/dea…418 (mixed reviews.)

You've probably already tried but as you're not tied to a phone line have you tried moving the Cube to different locations in the house, some devices may be better getting the signal from further away than others?
If you have an old router knocking around and a long eternet cable, you could plug the old router into the cube and configure it as an access point.
S5432103/06/2020 11:50

I bought one of these and use it with my sky router to extend the range, …I bought one of these and use it with my sky router to extend the range, so far so good for us, not sure how they behave with the AI Cube. https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/tenda-wireless-n300-universal-range-extender-599-delivered-at-box-3438418 (mixed reviews.)You've probably already tried but as you're not tied to a phone line have you tried moving the Cube to different locations in the house, some devices may be better getting the signal from further away than others?

Yes, we've tried that. The best locations tend to be 3/4 up the wall by the windows. Dont really want to put shelves in just for the router though! I'll take a look at the extender. Thank you
Tried it all to improve weak/dead spots & wasted money, only a £45 Mesh system solved it in the end....
• Had a SkyQ hub originally, first bought a £10 Wi-Fi router to configure as an access point: small improvement (tardytortoise's suggestion)
• Next, bought a £20 extender: little to no improvement (S54321's suggestion)
• Then, bought a £24 Sky's own Wi-Fi booster: little improvement
• Ditched the Sky hub & bought a £56 secondhand Netgear D7000 high-end modem-router (well, high-end at the time anyway): fair improvement, but not enough to eliminate the dead spots (what you tried already in a way)
• Bought a pair of Tenda MW3s Mesh system for £45 (cheapest Mesh I could find ): huge improvement, dead spots gone & radius of Wi-Fi signal has increased significantly! (yorkie12's suggestion, but different brand)

If you also go down the Mesh route eventually, first find out if a Mesh system is compatible with a Huawei AI Cube. All the best
Crossbow03/06/2020 12:59

Tried it all to improve weak/dead spots & wasted money, only a £45 Mesh …Tried it all to improve weak/dead spots & wasted money, only a £45 Mesh system solved it in the end....• Had a SkyQ hub originally, first bought a £10 Wi-Fi router to configure as an access point: small improvement (tardytortoise's suggestion)• Next, bought a £20 extender: little to no improvement (S54321's suggestion)• Then, bought a £24 Sky's own Wi-Fi booster: little improvement• Ditched the Sky hub & bought a £56 secondhand Netgear D7000 high-end modem-router (well, high-end at the time anyway): fair improvement, but not enough to eliminate the dead spots (what you tried already in a way)• Bought a pair of Tenda MW3s Mesh system for £45 (cheapest Mesh I could find ): huge improvement, dead spots gone & radius of Wi-Fi signal has increased significantly! (yorkie12's suggestion, but different brand)If you also go down the Mesh route eventually, first find out if a Mesh system is compatible with a Huawei AI Cube. All the best

Thanks so much for all that advice
I got a 3 cube thing and I use tplink 7510 as long as your electrics are not from the 1910s this works great I now have WiFi in my garage which is a completely separate room 10 meters from my house with one of these plugged in ...and get near enough same speeds from it as route. Got mine reconditioned of eBay for about 30 quid.
Jpr187203/06/2020 13:47

I got a 3 cube thing and I use tplink 7510 as long as your electrics are …I got a 3 cube thing and I use tplink 7510 as long as your electrics are not from the 1910s this works great I now have WiFi in my garage which is a completely separate room 10 meters from my house with one of these plugged in ...and get near enough same speeds from it as route. Got mine reconditioned of eBay for about 30 quid.

That sounds great...house is less than 10 years old so could work well. Thank you!
foxykelli03/06/2020 14:11

That sounds great...house is less than 10 years old so could work well. …That sounds great...house is less than 10 years old so could work well. Thank you!

Yeah will be absolutely fine...I use an ethernet cable into a playstation from the TPlink and use sky go on PS3 with that and then connect an Alexa and phones etc when in the garage through the WiFi the 7510 send out...you can also get ones to add on that are not WiFi and just ethernet they are cheaper I have 3 around the house in total...just plug them in and they find the signal ifrlm the main sender unit it was that easy!
I can recommend the 2 or 3 bt disc mesh system. I find wifi extenders to be poor unless they're a good distance away from any other access point. The last thing you want is for your device to be bouncing between access points.
I’ve got a three storey house and found on the top floor my brand new iMac couldn’t load up a simple webpage. Upgraded to the Orbi mesh system - came with a main unit and a wall plug satellite from Amazon for about £80 at the time. Best decision I’ve ever made. WiFi extenders drop about half the bandwidth with every point - also it’s annoying logging onto the ‘WiFi_EXT’ when you move through the house. I tested the speed on the top floor - only slightly slower to where the main router is.
Thanks for all your advice guys. Certainly food for thought! Hopefully one of these suggestions will get the job done! 😁
Post a comment
@
    Text