WiFi extender query!

Posted 17th Apr
Hi All,

Last few days been getting really poor internet connectivity in my house. I live in a 3 story house, with my desktop on the 2nd floor and the router on the ground floor. I am with sky 32mbs however using speed test only get 4. Now always I find YouTube buffering having to wait several minutes while paused: I’ve never had it this bad before. I just wanted to ask anyone if anyone has had experience with a WiFi extender and whether it’s made a significant difference? Also please could I get some suggestions as to which ones to go for? My budgets roughly 50ish. I see there’s N/AC numbers but don’t really understand them.

Thanks for your help in advance!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

5 Comments
"Last few days been getting really poor internet connectivity in my house" does not imply an issue that an extender will solve.
First step at solution would be to confirm the sync speed at the router to identify the speed/quality of the service as it enters your network. Login to the admin console of the router to view sync & connection records.
You may need to indicate your router model if you need assistance with admin access.
I'm with sky and I was struggling to stream even though I was getting 45mbps, try this op, it worked for me, it makes zero sense (to me anyways)
Go to broadband shield and turn it to the one lower than shield disabled (is it rated 18? Can't remember the name of it)
The save changes
The very minute I did this my streaming was perfect.
I would actually like to see if it works for someone else
Edited by: "nopartylikeansclubparty" 17th Apr
nopartylikeansclubparty17/04/2020 05:17

I'm with sky and I was struggling to stream even though I was getting …I'm with sky and I was struggling to stream even though I was getting 45mbps, try this op, it worked for me, it makes zero sense (to me anyways)Log into your my sky account,Go to broadband shield and turn it to the one lower than shield disabled (is it rated 18? Can't remember the name of it)The save changes The very minute I did this my streaming was perfect.I would actually like to see if it works for someone else

That's simply the result of another user in your network being deprived of whatever bandwidth they were using that Sky's shield decides they shouldn't, freeing up the bandwidth for other permitted use (your stream) Typical example would be a user being kicked off a pron file sharing source.
None of this has any relevance to OPs issue.
Would make sense but there is only me in the house when it happens, I haven't noticed a single thing not work afterwards... It makes no sense.
The alexas still work, the phones etc etc
Edited by: "nopartylikeansclubparty" 17th Apr
nopartylikeansclubparty17/04/2020 07:38

Would make sense but there is only me in the house when it happens, I …Would make sense but there is only me in the house when it happens, I haven't noticed a single thing not work afterwards... It makes no sense.The alexas still work, the phones etc etc

Some device will have been background downloading some chunk of data. All irrelevant to OPs issue, and who now appears to have lost interest.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions