WiFi Extenders

Found 21st Dec 2017
I have a dual band Sky Q Hub and half my devices are 5ghz, half are 2.4ghz.

Might be a stupid question, but if I'm looking at extending the coverage in my house, is a dual band extender essential? Surely getting a single band £15 one will only extend the coverage of the 2.4ghz devices and not those such as games consoles?

Thanks
Community Updates
AskElectronics
8 Comments
I've never met a 5GHz device that doesn't also support 2.4GHz.
If you use a single band extender on 2.4GHz, it will extend the 2.4GHz network only - and if a 5GHz capable device was out of range, you'd have to switch it to 2.4GHz if it doesn't have dual band fallback - on my 5/2.4GHz android phone, I used a prioritizer app to switch it to 5GHz if the signal was acceptable.

You may find homeplug + Wifi preferable to an extender, as the Wifi end can be placed where needed, rather than having to find a spot between the source and the wanted area... it's no use placing a repeater where there is nothing left for it to work on.
2.4ghz extenders are hopeless, get a dual band one
Don’t get the one from Sky themselves. Got it in the past and it killed the bandwidth. Went in the bin and bought a tplink one.
It's not essential but it is preferable.
You need to decide how much performance you require and budget accordingly.
I upgraded from a Homeplug AV500 2.5GHz to AV1200 dual band and the speed in my study has almost tripled.
I thought sky q mini boxes were supposed to do this job
deleted1597344
pavthebeast2 h, 16 m ago

I thought sky q mini boxes were supposed to do this job

Supposed to yes, but it is terrible. Works great if standing directly next to them otherwise an absolute waste of time.
Edited by: "deleted1597344" 22nd Dec 2017
Original Poster
Basically, the hub is awful so I want to replace it with something that will give me a full strong signal throughout my house. Standing next to the hub over WiFi I get half my download speed via tests even though I have full signal.
I’d recommend a mesh router with a couple of units you can cover a large hone and put the hub into modem only mode. They are expensive but worth it. Many brands do these such as google, Bt etc.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions