Groups

WIFI for Mum's Lappie

Ok Mum has been with NTL/Virgin for years and she has just moved and got a wireless router.

But it appears her laptop wifi card is knackered.

Someone at work suggest buying a wifi dongle - if she does that does she simply insert the dongle into her lappie, turn on the wireless router and away she wirelessly surfs????

Any plain easy steps gratefully received and also best place to buy one !

9 Comments

she will need to set up the wifi connection once and enter the wep security key from the router but once done yes just plain sailing-dongles can be had from tesco/asda etc if you want one instore

Yes, that's what you need, my missus has one on the 3 network and pays £13 per month, just visit their website

skusey;6199651

Yes, that's what you need, my missus has one on the 3 network and pays … Yes, that's what you need, my missus has one on the 3 network and pays £13 per month, just visit their website

think op means a dongle to connect to wireless router

Dongles are OK if the laptop is placed on a desk/ table etc . They can easily be knocked if the laptop is on a knee or carpet . They stick out from the side of the laptop . The ones to go for are the PCMCIA ones . They do the same thing and are just as easy to setup but are more secure in the slot in the side of the laptop can be left in perminantly .Mine are left in and I've had no problems.

Original Poster

barky;6199646

she will need to set up the wifi connection once and enter the wep … she will need to set up the wifi connection once and enter the wep security key from the router but once done yes just plain sailing-dongles can be had from tesco/asda etc if you want one instore

Cheers - and best place from online??

barky;6199722

think op means a dongle to connect to wireless router

Yep :-D

ricko;6199737

Dongles are OK if the laptop is placed on a desk/ table etc . They can … Dongles are OK if the laptop is placed on a desk/ table etc . They can easily be knocked if the laptop is on a knee or carpet . They stick out from the side of the laptop . The ones to go for are the PCMCIA ones . They do the same thing and are just as easy to setup but are more secure in the slot in the side of the laptop can be left in perminantly .Mine are left in and I've had no problems.

OK thanks and noted!

Repped!

Ive got one for sale if you have a little search xxx

Quick word of advice re your virgin internet.

At my old address we were with virgin. We recently moved and now get broadband from sky.

When i was setting it up, it worked fine when the pc and router were connected with a cable, but i couldn't get my lappy to connect via wireless.

I spent a couple of hours on the phone to sky broadband engineers who eventually said it must be my wireless card knackered.

Anyway, after a bit of fiddling I discovered that the Virgin wireless manager program installed on my lappy prevented acess via wi-fi to any other Isp. So this needs to be uninstalled before you can use the laptop wirelessly with any other isp.

As soon as I uninstalled it, it connected with my sky broadband via wifi straight away.

Not saying this will work for you but could be worth a go, especially if you are trying t o connect with somebody other than virgin.

Original Poster

karaokecolin;6200030

Quick word of advice re your virgin internet.At my old address we were … Quick word of advice re your virgin internet.At my old address we were with virgin. We recently moved and now get broadband from sky.When i was setting it up, it worked fine when the pc and router were connected with a cable, but i couldn't get my lappy to connect via wireless.I spent a couple of hours on the phone to sky broadband engineers who eventually said it must be my wireless card knackered.Anyway, after a bit of fiddling I discovered that the Virgin wireless manager program installed on my lappy prevented acess via wi-fi to any other Isp. So this needs to be uninstalled before you can use the laptop wirelessly with any other isp.As soon as I uninstalled it, it connected with my sky broadband via wifi straight away.Not saying this will work for you but could be worth a go, especially if you are trying t o connect with somebody other than virgin.

Cheers - very useful bit of info! Pretty certain she is staying wth virgin tho as prev house owner was also [on] virgin

Banned

just to say it took 9 months for my usb to become knackered after pluggin/unplugging the usb become loose and useless
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. www.disneycharms.co33
      2. Working conditions, workers rights. Standing at work causing pain. Is this …11
      3. Xbox One S or Xbox One X55
      4. Boxes for moving house?77

See more discussions