WiFi in bar at end of garden?

Posted 8th Oct
Hi all!
I've got a new summer house at the bottom of the garden and need my WiFi to reach there. I'm with virgin media so do I need a WiFi booster? I can't run a wire down to the garden, any suggestions?
Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

20 Comments
A wifi powerline should work, if your a full house or maxit virgin media TV customer virgin will send you one for free
Edited by: "jb66" 8th Oct
Virgin Media Hub 3.0 Wi-Fi is terrible so pretty much anything will be better based on personal experience.

I actually just recently replaced mine with Google Wifi which would be an excellent solution in this case especially at the newer reduced price.
No wires means no power, and most solutions need mains power.

You could go for a travel router (aka MiFi) but that would be a separate internet connection with associated costs.

If you're wanting to use your existing connection then you'd need a wireless bridge and some sort of device acting as an access point. I don't know if there are any commercial ones, but you could use a laptop set up as a mobile hotspot, and use an external wi-fi adaptor with a directional aerial to connect to the main network.
EndlessWaves08/10/2019 13:26

No wires means no power, and most solutions need mains power.You could go …No wires means no power, and most solutions need mains power.You could go for a travel router (aka MiFi) but that would be a separate internet connection with associated costs.If you're wanting to use your existing connection then you'd need a wireless bridge and some sort of device acting as an access point. I don't know if there are any commercial ones, but you could use a laptop set up as a mobile hotspot, and use an external wi-fi adaptor with a directional aerial to connect to the main network.

A good wifi access point near the window of the house should do the trick, I can access my network from my garage which is a good 10m away. Really depends how big the garden is.
I have a TP-Link AC1750 in my conservatory and get good coverage in my garden.
As there is no walls etc the WiFi signal will travel much further.. a good AP may do the trick.

There is a newer more pricier version TP-Link RE650 AC2600 which may be a better.
jb6608/10/2019 13:01

A wifi powerline should work, if your a full house or maxit virgin media …A wifi powerline should work, if your a full house or maxit virgin media TV customer virgin will send you one for free

"new summer house" and "can't run a cable" suggests no mains cable has been laid to the summerhouse, so powerline ain't gonna be a viable option.
Decent AP ideally with external directional antenna pointing towards bottom of garden.
If the summer house is on the same ring main you can use a powerline adapter, this is by far the easiest and cheapest way.

If you want to 'boost' the wifi you have two options

1 - use repeaters down the garden (but I assume you have no power access).
2 - Put the virgin hub in bridge mode get a router in the house that has the range to reach the summerhouse

another solution would be to do some stuff with a poe switch but I won't go into that
Upgrade your mobile tariff
Turn on mobile hotspot
Cisco06060608/10/2019 15:43

Upgrade your mobile tariffTurn on mobile hotspot

It's not the best option, because I need to hook up my gadgets and technology to it, and I don't want to be reliant on my phone x
jb6608/10/2019 13:01

A wifi powerline should work, if your a full house or maxit virgin media …A wifi powerline should work, if your a full house or maxit virgin media TV customer virgin will send you one for free

Thank you! I'll look into it x
EndlessWaves08/10/2019 13:26

No wires means no power, and most solutions need mains power.You could go …No wires means no power, and most solutions need mains power.You could go for a travel router (aka MiFi) but that would be a separate internet connection with associated costs.If you're wanting to use your existing connection then you'd need a wireless bridge and some sort of device acting as an access point. I don't know if there are any commercial ones, but you could use a laptop set up as a mobile hotspot, and use an external wi-fi adaptor with a directional aerial to connect to the main network.

Thanks for your suggestion! The summer house has got mains power, with plug sockets. I've tried to use my mobile hotspot but have weak signal x
dickypreston08/10/2019 13:43

I have a TP-Link AC1750 in my conservatory and get good coverage in my …I have a TP-Link AC1750 in my conservatory and get good coverage in my garden.As there is no walls etc the WiFi signal will travel much further.. a good AP may do the trick.There is a newer more pricier version TP-Link RE650 AC2600 which may be a better.

Thank you! I'll look into it x
AndyRoyd08/10/2019 14:09

"new summer house" and "can't run a cable" suggests no mains cable has …"new summer house" and "can't run a cable" suggests no mains cable has been laid to the summerhouse, so powerline ain't gonna be a viable option.

The summer house does have power with plug sockets, I just can't run an extra cable from the house to the summer house x
banterchicken08/10/2019 14:12

If the summer house is on the same ring main you can use a powerline …If the summer house is on the same ring main you can use a powerline adapter, this is by far the easiest and cheapest way.If you want to 'boost' the wifi you have two options1 - use repeaters down the garden (but I assume you have no power access).2 - Put the virgin hub in bridge mode get a router in the house that has the range to reach the summerhouseanother solution would be to do some stuff with a poe switch but I won't go into that

I'll look into it, thank you x
myhotukdealsaccount08/10/2019 15:56

The summer house does have power with plug sockets, I just can't run an …The summer house does have power with plug sockets, I just can't run an extra cable from the house to the summer house x

Wifi powerline as per multiple previous comments
I did this by puchasing a Mesh System (Orbi) and plugging the Satellite into a Socket closest to the start of the back Garden. My Garden isn't huge but it went from a 0 Signal strength from just my router to 78% at the back of the garden with the Orbi Satellite in place.
myhotukdealsaccount08/10/2019 15:56

The summer house does have power with plug sockets, I just can't run an …The summer house does have power with plug sockets, I just can't run an extra cable from the house to the summer house x

if you have power in the summer house as others have suggested use a powerline adapter. i have used them in the past they are good and some now like the below don't take up a plug socket.

theirs even some that transmit WiFi so have built in AP's

amazon.co.uk/TL-…8-4

one with WiFi

amazon.co.uk/Ten…nVl

what these do is turn your power lines into Ethernet cables so transmit your internet over the power lines so any plug in the house can pick up your network.

just plug one into the router via an ethernet cable and the other in your summerhouse and away you go.
Whilst I think, from your description, I would also go Ethernet over power with wifi (as suggested above) just a curve ball for your consideration are the external access points that are avialable - like this:

amazon.co.uk/TP-…r=8-5

if clear line of sight externally and not too much of a cable run (needs power feed to it over the Ethernet limiting distance the cable can be) these can give good access externally.
Edited by: "Bertz99" 9th Oct
powerline adapters may not work if summerhouse has its own fusebox (which it should have!)
Edited by: "leitchyleck" 9th Oct
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants