WiFi on Laptops

Found 18th Jan
I thought most laptops nowadays would have the dual band so you can get your true fibre speed? It seems like they don't unless I'm wrong.

Is this dual band or just the basic wifi?

currys.co.uk/gbu…tml

Thanks
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
19 Comments
My laptop and Chromebook aren't dual band as far as I know, regardless if they are my router isn't. I still get 74mb on them so I wouldn't worry too much about that.
It says it has AC wireless so yes it will have dual band.
Original Poster
bynouk3 m ago

My laptop and Chromebook aren't dual band as far as I know, regardless if …My laptop and Chromebook aren't dual band as far as I know, regardless if they are my router isn't. I still get 74mb on them so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

How are you getting higher than 30mb if you don't have a dual band wifi adapter in your laptop?

You must have dual band
Original Poster
AirbusA3803 m ago

It says it has AC wireless so yes it will have dual band.

It says 1x1 so I thought that was just 2.4ghz, not dual band?
superfreddy2 m ago

How are you getting higher than 30mb if you don't have a dual band wifi …How are you getting higher than 30mb if you don't have a dual band wifi adapter in your laptop?You must have dual band

I don't have dual band, got 3 routers none of them are dual band, all give me top speed. Trust me, I've tried connecting to 5ghz and there isn't an option.
Original Poster
bynouk1 m ago

I don't have dual band, got 3 routers none of them are dual band, all give …I don't have dual band, got 3 routers none of them are dual band, all give me top speed. Trust me, I've tried connecting to 5ghz and there isn't an option.

I have a BT smart hub. All my devices get 52mb wifi. My laptop only gets about 30mb because it's just 2.4ghz, not dual band.
How you're getting 76mb wifi speeds on non dual band wifi is beyond me.
superfreddy12 m ago

I have a BT smart hub. All my devices get 52mb wifi. My laptop only gets …I have a BT smart hub. All my devices get 52mb wifi. My laptop only gets about 30mb because it's just 2.4ghz, not dual band. How you're getting 76mb wifi speeds on non dual band wifi is beyond me.

802.11N I think.

"Wireless N supports a maximum theoretical transfer rate of 300mbps with 2 antennas. It can reach up to 450mbps with 3 antennas. Though typical speeds are more accurately around 130mbps or less without certain configurations and conditions being met. There will be a detailed post on this in the future. If you are curious, please subscribe to this blog and you will be notified when that post comes. It operates at both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. These Wireless N devices can operate on multiple signals (called Multiple In – Multiple Out… or MIMO) and have 2 or 3 antennas. It also has increased signal range/power over Wireless G."

homenetworkadmin.com/wir…ce/
bryanhaines39936 m ago

802.11N I think."Wireless N supports a maximum theoretical transfer rate …802.11N I think."Wireless N supports a maximum theoretical transfer rate of 300mbps with 2 antennas. It can reach up to 450mbps with 3 antennas. Though typical speeds are more accurately around 130mbps or less without certain configurations and conditions being met. There will be a detailed post on this in the future. If you are curious, please subscribe to this blog and you will be notified when that post comes. It operates at both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. These Wireless N devices can operate on multiple signals (called Multiple In – Multiple Out… or MIMO) and have 2 or 3 antennas. It also has increased signal range/power over Wireless G."http://homenetworkadmin.com/wireless-b-vs-g-vs-n-vs-ac-difference/

Hit the nail on the head with this, cheers!
superfreddy3 h, 22 m ago

I have a BT smart hub. All my devices get 52mb wifi. My laptop only gets …I have a BT smart hub. All my devices get 52mb wifi. My laptop only gets about 30mb because it's just 2.4ghz, not dual band. How you're getting 76mb wifi speeds on non dual band wifi is beyond me.

30mbit is pretty poor and I would check to see if your aerials were connected properly on your laptop.
My Samsung G8 and super hub 3 hit 108mbit easily.

More aerials mean more channels so most modern laptops should come with 3 aerials in a mimo format.
Original Poster
kester7621 m ago

30mbit is pretty poor and I would check to see if your aerials were …30mbit is pretty poor and I would check to see if your aerials were connected properly on your laptop. My Samsung G8 and super hub 3 hit 108mbit easily. More aerials mean more channels so most modern laptops should come with 3 aerials in a mimo format.

My mobile and other devices hit top speed, just not my laptop. I presumed it was because the wifi on my laptop was only 2.4ghz.

How will I know what my wifi adapter supports then?
Original Poster
kester7624 m ago

30mbit is pretty poor and I would check to see if your aerials were …30mbit is pretty poor and I would check to see if your aerials were connected properly on your laptop. My Samsung G8 and super hub 3 hit 108mbit easily. More aerials mean more channels so most modern laptops should come with 3 aerials in a mimo format.

Your Samsung is dual band. Not all laptops are, even though mine is quite modern.
Your laptop supports dual band wifi, buy yourself a half decent router. To test this use your phone as a hotspot and wifi tether it to your laptop.
Original Poster
GregoryHouse2 m ago

Your laptop supports dual band wifi, buy yourself a half decent router. To …Your laptop supports dual band wifi, buy yourself a half decent router. To test this use your phone as a hotspot and wifi tether it to your laptop.

My router is a BT Smart Hub, it is dual band.
Do you know how to wifi tether using your smartphone?
Edited by: "GregoryHouse" 18th Jan
superfreddy17 m ago

Your Samsung is dual band. Not all laptops are, even though mine is quite …Your Samsung is dual band. Not all laptops are, even though mine is quite modern.

Check out intel.com/con…pdf
Page 10
You should be hitting it fine.

If you want more speed then get a new wifi card that is whitelisted for your bios and maybe install another aerial but I agree that your router or wifi setup is messed up as you should be getting full speed as it is.
superfreddy8 m ago

My router is a BT Smart Hub, it is dual band.

Where abouts is your router located, i.e. have you left it on the floor or hidden it inside something ?
Also have you optimised your router for WIFI AC as it might not be configured correctly.
2.4ghz supports upto 300mbps (although some devices support a quarter or half of that) , obviously that's in theory, but you should be getting significantly higher than 30mbps, I only use 2.4ghz as the range is better and can max out a 100mbps connection.

Budget laptops might not be dual band but 'premium' ones have been for years.
superfreddy6 h, 40 m ago

It says 1x1 so I thought that was just 2.4ghz, not dual band?

No, you're confusing spatial streams and frequencies.

1x1 is the number of radios that the product has for a given frequency. So a product may be 2x2 on 2.4Ghz and 3x3 on 5Ghz. This would be marketed as AC1600 from the 300Mbps link rate 2x2 gives at 2.4Ghz and the 1300Mbps link rate 3x3 gives at 5Ghz.

Multiple radios are used for a technology called MIMO that speeds up the transmission at a given frequency. So 1x1 2.4Ghz has a link rate of 150Mbps while a 2x2 2.4Ghz product has a link rate of 300Mbps.

A 4x4 2.4Ghz link is quite capable of hitting 500Mbps of actual data transfer, at least at short range under test conditions. Multiple radios tend to be rare in portable devices due to the higher power consumption though. Some high end laptops are 3x3 but generally it's 1x1 or 2x2.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants