Wifi question

Found 8th Aug
Hi guys, quick internet related query.

Running the Vodafone fibre broadband (76MB). When I've setup the Wireless - the speed often is around 40MB - rarely goes up over 50MB, whereas with the Ethernet is nearly full 76MB. If I get a better router to plug into the Vodafone's wifi modern, would I have a closer parity between the Ethernet and the wireless? Generally would a £30-£40 unit be okay?
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
My experience is there's always a drop off from ethernet to WiFi speeds, this will also depend on location, interference, walls, metal beams, traffic etc etc. I'm with sky and I get almost identical to you fibre and WiFi speeds. I've got WiFi distributers around our house and they're Devolo Powerlines, they generally are around 30-40 mg WiFi. So in short, I'm not an expert, but I don't think you'll get improved results.
What you say "setup" do you mean your sync speed on the homepage interface?
Yes and no to this question. Yes you can buy better equipment that can deliver WiFi at a faster speed. There are quite a few variables to the speed of WiFi distance walls etc that may make more of a difference than the WiFi at the price range. Powerline adapters with access points built in, wired access points even looking at the WiFi channel to see if there are any conflicts fairly close. There is also the max speeds of the devices you are connecting to think about too

i don’t think you will get much more for the price you state for a new router
You can go faster but it depends on the standard your router and devices support, I would imagine at the moment the limiting factor is your devices rather than your router, also how versatile your devices and router are in how much control they give you over your wifi settings.

You should also try and find a band that's not congested, I personally use "Wifi Analyzer" on android to do this.

play.google.com/sto…zer
Your device can be the issue, not every device will be able to get the top speeds.
Depends on the walls in your house.

Have to ask yourself how far am I trying the WiFi, is it because I'm too far or is it the walls the issue

You can get a better router which will help putting it into modem mode, another solution is a mesh like bt, Google WiFi, basically is 2 or 3 router which ping signal to eachother, found it helped for my house hold, cable will always be best imo
In most situations it's better to just move the router to a better location to increase signal strength.
Thanks for the comment guys - the laptop and the wifi are in the same room; where the 76mb drop line to 40mb appears to happen with the devices 2-3 metres apart. It's an recent ThinkPad (dual-band AC wireless / latest bios/ wifi drivers); next door's wifi is always 76MB or around that - don't really want to be that guy and hog theirs (they're fine with me using it) .

The comments are helpful, I'll go away and google on what works well with my laptop. Guess in the future when I can get faster internet (e.g. 100-200MB) - the difference of a good router will be more obvious; I'm not sure if the £30-40 is at all worth getting now / may either need to up the budget, or postpone it for now.
I've recently joined Vodafone Broadband, The 76mb package. I had read that Vodafone's router was crap so I didn't even bother with it. I bought a TP Link Archer VR400 second hand off Ebay for £36. It's about £55 at most places. I was quoted speeds between "52.05Mbps to 74.53Mbps". The router syncs at 60mb and I get a steady 56-57mb on my pc which is located about 4 meters away via wifi. I'm happy with that as I previously got around 54mb on Sky fibre max and their router ( Sky q hub ) synced at about 56mb. I've had it 2 weeks and it has been spot on so far.

I like the fact that on Vodafone you can still visit piratebay and demoniod without using a vpn whereas on most other Isp's they're blocked.

To use a third party modem/router you'll need your Vodafone PPPoE username and password. They'll probably suggest that you only use one off the openreach approved modem/routers. Just say you will and they'll give it you. I got mine via Vodafone online chat. Hope that helps :).
Edited by: ".MUFC." 8th Aug
Quicklite2 h, 23 m ago

Thanks for the comment guys - the laptop and the wifi are in the same …Thanks for the comment guys - the laptop and the wifi are in the same room; where the 76mb drop line to 40mb appears to happen with the devices 2-3 metres apart. It's an recent ThinkPad (dual-band AC wireless / latest bios/ wifi drivers); next door's wifi is always 76MB or around that - don't really want to be that guy and hog theirs (they're fine with me using it) . The comments are helpful, I'll go away and google on what works well with my laptop. Guess in the future when I can get faster internet (e.g. 100-200MB) - the difference of a good router will be more obvious; I'm not sure if the £30-40 is at all worth getting now / may either need to up the budget, or postpone it for now.

If your laptop and router both support 802.11ac (5GHz) then that's what you should use, you should check your router because there is probably a wifi setting that allows you to Separate the 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies this will give you two separate wifi networks with different SSID's (network names) meaning you can make sure you only ever connect to the 5GHz network which uses 802.11ac, the other advantage with 5GHz is hardly anyone is using that frequency, it also supports beamforming.

If the above isn't possible there are ways to make sure your device only uses one wireless standard instead of the router or device choosing automatically.

(OK just did a quick google and Vodafone routers do support frequency separation of 2.4GHz and 5GHz)
Edited by: "4Real2016" 8th Aug
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions