WiFi repeater? Modem?

Found 9th Aug
I've found an old modem (VM) which still works I want to extend my WiFi access to the shed I've connected the modem up connected the fibre cable, this old box doesn't come with the wireless router part.

I do have a WiFi repeater would it be possible to use an ethernet from the modem to the repeater and use said repeater as a hotspot?

grateful for any help. thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
6 Comments
Make a directional wifi antenna Here maybe
eh? it doesn't have wifi so you want to use it to extend your wifi.... eh?
maddogb3 m ago

eh? it doesn't have wifi so you want to use it to extend your wifi.... eh?

The modem doesn't no... So previously with VM they gave you a modem and a tp link wireless router... The wireless router is some where but I just want to know whether using a repeater would give the same result as the tp link router
wayners41 m ago

Make a directional wifi antenna Here maybe

Thanks mate but not what I'm looking for lol
Does the shed have power, if it does then just run an Ethernet cable to the shed and buy a cheap wifi router to act as an access port. It all depends on what speed you want outside as 2.4GHz range is a lot better than 5GHz but you lose speed with 2.4GHz.

Cat 5e in an old garden hose should be fine from frost and sunlight.
You will likely need a router in there somewhere. There's no reason to be using an old modem-only box instead of a newer one.

Whether you can use the extender as an access point is entirely seperate, and depends on it's software.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions