Groups

Wifi speed half that of ethernet

Hi I purchased an Asus RT-AC3200 Router that was posted in a deal here hotukdeals.com/tag/dea…872.

I've now set it up, downloaded and installed the latest version of firmware from Asus and I'm not getting the download speeds over WiFi that I was expecting. The WiFi signal is strong.

I'm on Virgin Media 200Mb cable broadband and have a Superhub 3 which is in Modem Mode. If I connect my PC to the Superhub 3 by ethernet cable (by-passing the RT-AC3200) according to speedtest.net/ I am getting a download speed of 200Mbps. However, if I connect over WiFi I only get 94Mbps. I have tried this with two PC's both with different Gigabit WiFi Network cards, one is TP-Link Archer T8E AC1750 and the other is an Asus PCE-AC56, so I assume the problem is with a setting or settings in the RT-AC3200.

Any advice on how to improve the WiFi speed will be welcomed.

28 Comments

The PC's you are connecting to WIFI from probably only have adapters capable of 100MB connection, so you will never get more than that.

Check the properties of your wifi adapter to see.

Edit - Ignore me, I didn't read your post fully before answering!
    Edited by: "SeventySeven" 1st Mar

I have a hub from virgin (superhub 2ac) and it runs at 200mb all day long.
    Result Running at 220 atm

Why not just use that....probably a silly question. Maybe google the router for limitations
    Edited by: "gr8h8me" 1st Mar

Have you chosen a different WIFI channel and looked for the result. Auto is not always best on these.
    Edited by: "getmeone" 1st Mar

If cable connection has no issue then it has to be a setting for the wifi, make sure the router wifi setting is at the max it can produce, most of the time tho it is the wireless card in your equipment that is the problem. unless you have the latest ac cards you will not get the max speed that the router can produce, so unless your wireless equip is very new or has been updated I suspect that the problem will be your wireless cards capability.

st8mike

If cable connection has no issue then it has to be a setting for the … If cable connection has no issue then it has to be a setting for the wifi, make sure the router wifi setting is at the max it can produce, most of the time tho it is the wireless card in your equipment that is the problem. unless you have the latest ac cards you will not get the max speed that the router can produce, so unless your wireless equip is very new or has been updated I suspect that the problem will be your wireless cards capability.

Both of the cards he has are AC. The clue is in the name.

Check any device's wireless adapter is rated for the speed you expect.

Original Poster

AndyRoyd

Check any device's wireless adapter is rated for the speed you expect.

I don't think the network cards are the problem as they are capable of speeds inexcess of what my broadband speed is.

TP-LINK Archer T8E AC1750 is 5 GHz 1,300 Mbps and 2.4 GHz 450 Mbps
    and
    Asus PCE-AC56 5 GHz 867 Mbps and 2.4 GHz is from 300 Mbps to 400 Mbps

Original Poster

st8mike

If cable connection has no issue then it has to be a setting for the … If cable connection has no issue then it has to be a setting for the wifi, make sure the router wifi setting is at the max it can produce, most of the time tho it is the wireless card in your equipment that is the problem. unless you have the latest ac cards you will not get the max speed that the router can produce, so unless your wireless equip is very new or has been updated I suspect that the problem will be your wireless cards capability.

I don't think the network cards are the problem as they are capable of speeds inexcess of what my broadband speed is.

TP-LINK Archer T8E AC1750 is 5 GHz 1,300 Mbps and 2.4 GHz 450 Mbps
    and
    Asus PCE-AC56 5 GHz 867 Mbps and 2.4 GHz is from 300 Mbps to 400 Mbps

Ethernet will always be massively superior to wifi.

AC drops off a lot faster with distance/barriers than N and it more prone to congestion. Try a different 5ghz channel and band. Try to ensure the router is positioned to minimise barriers and play with the directions of the aerials (depending on the aerial you may be sending the strongest signal straight through the roof or walls).

Depending on the firmware, you may want to see if disabling powersaving mode has an effect. Alternatively some routers let you increase the signal power (be very careful with this setting as you can lower the life of the router or even damage it).

Original Poster

abigsmurf

Ethernet will always be massively superior to wifi.AC drops off a lot … Ethernet will always be massively superior to wifi.AC drops off a lot faster with distance/barriers than N and it more prone to congestion. Try a different 5ghz channel and band. Try to ensure the router is positioned to minimise barriers and play with the directions of the aerials (depending on the aerial you may be sending the strongest signal straight through the roof or walls).Depending on the firmware, you may want to see if disabling powersaving mode has an effect. Alternatively some routers let you increase the signal power (be very careful with this setting as you can lower the life of the router or even damage it).

Signal is not the problem as a full signal is being received from router.

Tried the 2.4 GHz and both 5 GHz bands and they all give about 94Mbps.

Original Poster

getmeone

Stick this on your phone. Depending on your model of … Stick this on your phone. Depending on your model of course.https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en_GB

I've had this app on my android phone and tablet for sometime now.

I would have thought your WiFi speed is about what you would expect.
    My router is next to the PC and I get 100mbps with Ethernet and 40mbps with WiFi. Upload speed is the same at 6mbps.

bearcat

I don't think the network cards are the problem as they are capable of … I don't think the network cards are the problem as they are capable of speeds inexcess of what my broadband speed is.TP-LINK Archer T8E AC1750 is 5 GHz 1,300 Mbps and 2.4 GHz 450 Mbpsand Asus PCE-AC56 5 GHz 867 Mbps and 2.4 GHz is from 300 Mbps to 400 Mbps

Apologies: I (incorrectly) read those devices as ethernet cards. For benefit of further diagnosis: what is the file transfer speed specifically between those two wifi adapters when both are connected to the Asus?

bearcat

Signal is not the problem as a full signal is being received from … Signal is not the problem as a full signal is being received from router.Tried the 2.4 GHz and both 5 GHz bands and they all give about 94Mbps.

'Strong' and 'full' are very vague. Looking at smallnetbuilder's review of the RT-AC3200 your speeds at 2.4Ghz correspond most closely to 92Mbps at 36dB attenuation. At 5Ghz this gives a speed of... 91Mbps.

Sounds like everything's working fine for the levels of attenuation your house is imposing.

If you want faster speeds then you need to move to multiple wi-fi access points connected by powerline or ethernet. A single super-router is the wrong choice for your location.

Original Poster

AndyRoyd

Apologies: I (incorrectly) read those devices as ethernet cards. For … Apologies: I (incorrectly) read those devices as ethernet cards. For benefit of further diagnosis: what is the file transfer speed specifically between those two wifi adapters when both are connected to the Asus?

If you mean the upload speed when you say file transfer speed, then speedtest.net/ gives a speed of 12Mbps for the TP-Link Archer T8E AC1750 and 12Mbps for the Asus PCE-AC56 and if I transfer files to my NAS they are transfered at 55Mbps and 60Mbps respectively.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves

'Strong' and 'full' are very vague. Looking at smallnetbuilder's review … 'Strong' and 'full' are very vague. Looking at smallnetbuilder's review of the RT-AC3200 your speeds at 2.4Ghz correspond most closely to 92Mbps at 36dB attenuation. At 5Ghz this gives a speed of... 91Mbps.Sounds like everything's working fine for the levels of attenuation your house is imposing.If you want faster speeds then you need to move to multiple wi-fi access points connected by powerline or ethernet. A single super-router is the wrong choice for your location.

What I mean by 'strong' and 'full' is that the signal bar is full, there are no empty bars, so its the strongest signal you can get.

bearcat

What I mean by 'strong' and 'full' is that the signal bar is full, there … What I mean by 'strong' and 'full' is that the signal bar is full, there are no empty bars, so its the strongest signal you can get.

Generally bar indicators are just intended to tell you whether you can connect reliably rather than indicating speed. They often show full bars down to fairly low data rates.

You need the actual -##dB signal strength/attenuation figure to tell whether you're getting the expected speed. The app linked above that you have on your phone/tablet should provide it, and similar apps are available for Windows/MacOS/Linux if you want to check with those adapters.

I used to get really hung up about wifi speeds and broadband speeds many years ago, tweaking this, tweaking that, etc to get every possible bit as fast as possible. Spent far too much time on it. I admit I learnt a great deal.
    Then I asked myself whether every bodies device in the house was having any problems with their applications and the answer came back - no problems whatsoever!
    Occasionally a problem occurs and more often than not the fix has nothing to do with wifi speeds.
    So, my advice is if everything is working to an acceptable degree just sit back and enjoy.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves

Generally bar indicators are just intended to tell you whether you can … Generally bar indicators are just intended to tell you whether you can connect reliably rather than indicating speed. They often show full bars down to fairly low data rates. You need the actual -##dB signal strength/attenuation figure to tell whether you're getting the expected speed. The app linked above that you have on your phone/tablet should provide it, and similar apps are available for Windows/MacOS/Linux if you want to check with those adapters.

OK used the app on my tablet and the readings are 2.4 GHz is -52 dBm and 5 GHZ is -62 dBm.
    I plugged in a WiFi extender which is less than one metre from both PC's and the dB signal strength/attenuation figures are 2.4 GHz -49 dBm and 5 GHz is -55 dBM

Original Poster

EndlessWaves

Generally bar indicators are just intended to tell you whether you can … Generally bar indicators are just intended to tell you whether you can connect reliably rather than indicating speed. They often show full bars down to fairly low data rates. You need the actual -##dB signal strength/attenuation figure to tell whether you're getting the expected speed. The app linked above that you have on your phone/tablet should provide it, and similar apps are available for Windows/MacOS/Linux if you want to check with those adapters.

OK used the app on my tablet and the readings are 2.4 GHz is -52 dBm and 5 GHZ is -62 dBm.
    I plugged in a WiFi extender, Netgear AC750, which is less than one metre from both PC's and the dB signal strength/attenuation figures are 2.4 GHz -49 dBm and 5 GHz is -55 dBm.

Checked speed using the WiFi extender and they are similar to what I was getting with out it.

Have you taken into account all the devices that could be using your WiFi, TV's, Games consoles, Phones and tablets, as well as PC's the bandwidth will be shared between them. Try running a speed test on both PC's at the same time and then individually, see if there is any difference. It's possible that the router is allocating a set amount of bandwidth to both PC even when one is inactive.

Could be anything. Where is your Wifi Asus router located, it should be raised about 6 foot off the floor for optumim peformance. Ideally it should be as close as possible to your Wifi devices. Use aerial extensions to move the aerials as far away as possible from the RF shielding of your case.

Have you set the ASUS router to it's best settings ?
    Remember that wifi is an analogue transmission so at low signal strength QAM-256 (TurboQAM) will suffer more than QAM-64.

Original Poster

kester76

Could be anything. Where is your Wifi Asus router located, it should be … Could be anything. Where is your Wifi Asus router located, it should be raised about 6 foot off the floor for optumim peformance. Ideally it should be as close as possible to your Wifi devices. Use aerial extensions to move the aerials as far away as possible from the RF shielding of your case.Have you set the ASUS router to it's best settings ?Remember that wifi is an analogue transmission so at low signal strength QAM-256 (TurboQAM) will suffer more than QAM-64.

Both PC's are within 5 metres of the router and seperated by a stud wall. All of them are on the same floor level. I've moved the aerials on the router and also tried it in a few different locations with no affect on the speed.

Tomorrow I will move the router into the same room as the PC's to see if that makes any difference. I will also try connecting one or both PC's to the router bu ethernet cable and see what download speed I get.

What do you mean by routers best settings? Any advice on which one to look at and change? I've already tried changing settings in 'Adaptive QoS' and also disabling this feature, but again this made no differnce to the download speed.

One thing I havent tried is diabling the routers firewall, but i'm not sure if this should be done.

bearcat

Both PC's are within 5 metres of the router and seperated by a stud wall. … Both PC's are within 5 metres of the router and seperated by a stud wall. All of them are on the same floor level. I've moved the aerials on the router and also tried it in a few different locations with no affect on the speed.Tomorrow I will move the router into the same room as the PC's to see if that makes any difference. I will also try connecting one or both PC's to the router bu ethernet cable and see what download speed I get.What do you mean by routers best settings? Any advice on which one to look at and change? I've already tried changing settings in 'Adaptive QoS' and also disabling this feature, but again this made no differnce to the download speed.One thing I havent tried is diabling the routers firewall, but i'm not sure if this should be done.

Don't disable the router firewall as this would be bad. I don't know your WIFI setup but normally it's increase the channel width to 40MHz on both 2.4 & 5GHz. I'm only running 100mbit virgin with 10mbit extra but I get 110mbit transfer on the stock superhub 3 on both my LG G4 and gigabyte itx board.

Might be some info on here
    https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ac3200-smart-connect-rules-fine-tuning.22823/

Will be back later as run out of time

Original Poster

kester76

Might be some info on … Might be some info on here[url=https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ac3200-smart-connect-rules-fine-tuning.22823/]https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ac3200-smart-connect-rules-fine-tuning.22823/[/url

Thanks some intresting posts here. I will have a look through them and try a few things suggested by others. If I have little or no success I might post a question myself.

Original Poster

All sorted. The problem was the ethernet cable between the router and the superhub. Changed the cable for a new one and now getting 204 Mbps over WiFi.

I got the answer by posting my question on the website/forum (https://www.snbforums.com) that kester76 mentioned above.

Original Poster

Thanks kester76.

I posted my question on the website/forum you referred to and got an answer that worked. It was the cable between the router and superhub that was causing the slowness in speed. changed it for a new cable and now getting 204 Mbps over WiFi.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What do you feel like whinging about today?1927344
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767218
      3. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1012
      4. Do you have one of these 2.1 million 50p's selling for 20x its value?917

See more discussions