Groups

Wii or Wii U (advice please)

My son wants a switch. (not paying current price for a switch). It seems the only reason is because the second portable screen to play on the go games.
    He says what about Wii U ?
    I'm thinking it will be £70 plus cheaper to get a Wii and maybe homebrew.
    Have Xbox 360, ps4, ds, tablets, PC

What are the compelling reasons to choose a Wii U over Wii ?
    what are must have accessories for Wii(not fitness)?

PS I've lost my gaming commitment and the Nintendo games look quite happy and easy to get into.

16 Comments

I paid only £20 for a Wii second hand, lots of cheap deals around, it's definitely the best value and you get access to a lot of games (Wii and gamecube games work on it).

However, remember it is not high definition so can look dated. Nintendo is all about the gameplay anyway

Accessories - wiimote with motion plus, doesn't need to be official, can get cheap ones on Amazon new.

Wii U - better graphics, newer games (including the new zelda). You can also use the game pad screen instead of the tv which can occasionally be useful. That's about it, as it's game catalogue is far smaller than the wii. It is also backwards compatible though, just not with gamecube, only Wii.
    Edited by: "delusion" 5th Mar

can run homebrew on wii u too now. most compelling reason would be the more modern games for the Wii u platform I would imagine

If he wants the system for portable games, neither the Wii nor the Wii U is suitable. The Wii is entirely based around on-TV play; for the Wii U, although it has a secondary screen built into the gamepad, which in many games allows entirely off-TV play, it can't be used away from the main system unit (it typically has a range of a few metres). I'd also not that with the Switch, the description as a "secondary" screen isn't quite right - games play on-TV or on the portable screen, but the two displays can't be used together.

Have you looked into the 3DS, which is a portable system? There are various models available, from "2DS", the cheapest model, without 3D display functionality, up to the "New 3DS XL", a revised model with a larger form-factor.

Of course, also consider what games are available - the Wii U has a relatively small back-catalogue, but with some of the highest-quality games that you'll find; the 3DS's library is large and excellent, also including full backwards compatibility with the original DS. The Switch, being newly-released, has a very small library at present, but this will of course grow with time.

I think wii u is better option. at least he still can play on his game pad when you want to watch some TV.

If he already has Xbox 360, ps4, ds, tablets, PC I doubt a Wii U or Wii will scratch his itch.

If his primary desire is to play games on the go...you'd be better off just waiting for a Switch price drop. Neither the Wii or Wii-U, though great consoles, is really suitable for this. If games on the go are indeed so important, you'd be better off with a 3DS or 2DS than a Wii or Wii-U.

Original Poster

OK, thanks for the various good advice from you all. If the Wii u portable bit is tied to the screen, I'm edging toward a cheap Wii and wait for a hopefully price drop on the switch. Howerever having talked to my son he's adamant he wants a Wii u as he wants super Mario maker. He's paying most of it I suppose. I'll continue to check eBay, I wonder if Wii u price will drop as more buy switch ?

Denbi

OK, thanks for the various good advice from you all. If the Wii u … OK, thanks for the various good advice from you all. If the Wii u portable bit is tied to the screen, I'm edging toward a cheap Wii and wait for a hopefully price drop on the switch. Howerever having talked to my son he's adamant he wants a Wii u as he wants super Mario maker. He's paying most of it I suppose. I'll continue to check eBay, I wonder if Wii u price will drop as more buy switch ?

Keep looking for wii U price drop last week it was £150 brand new 32gb version and one game in smyths toys but tbh you could buy second hand with a load of games for that price. Wii is good but wii u is so much better fun the Mario games are great I had a wii u sitting around for years never got it out then one day I did and me and the kids are on it every day now it's a great machine with great games.

I found wii u great for my kids. Can play most games on the screen while i hve tv. I think the switch will hve 200 pound bundle by christmas. Its too early atm not enough content

Wii U as you can use it as a second screen but get one with a few games.

Wii U game pad can only be played about 7 (?) metres away from the console but still a great feature. If I am playing Xbox or PlayStation I am really enjoying having the game pad by my side with my YouTube subscriptions on it. Means I can pause the gameplay on the TV to take a break and use the game pad to keep on top of the videos I am subscribed to. I use my 2DS when I am on the go. Thinking of upgrading to a New 3DS XL.

The Wii U being backwards compatible means you can play original Wii games on it which is fantastic! Brand new the Wii U is holding its price but second hand they are cheap. I got one brand new a couple of months ago because it will be in my collection for life.

you can get Wii very cheap maybe around £30 but Wii u will run you at least £150. But wii u can play all Wii games as well as Wii u games

Can get basic wii console with 2 controller around £30.
    Edited by: "Adam786123" 5th Mar

Istanbul_Kop

If his primary desire is to play games on the go...you'd be better off … If his primary desire is to play games on the go...you'd be better off just waiting for a Switch price drop. Neither the Wii or Wii-U, though great consoles, is really suitable for this. If games on the go are indeed so important, you'd be better off with a 3DS or 2DS than a Wii or Wii-U.

Wii mini?

Original Poster

Just thought id update. I got a used wii u, kids are loving mario kart and Mario and luigi. I think its a excellent little console and its nice to get away from the competitive feeling off the other consoles. Im really hoping that the switch continues to do well as it will be a huge shame if Nintendo ever leave the game scene.

Denbi

Just thought id update. I got a used wii u, kids are loving mario kart … Just thought id update. I got a used wii u, kids are loving mario kart and Mario and luigi. I think its a excellent little console and its nice to get away from the competitive feeling off the other consoles. Im really hoping that the switch continues to do well as it will be a huge shame if Nintendo ever leave the game scene.

Good decision!
    It's a great console with a whole host of classics worth playing, make sure you get a copy of BOTW too ofc (theres a topic of wii u games floating around in "Ask" worth exploring)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What do you feel like whinging about today?1927364
      2. Spotify Family Premium share715
      3. word association Game73944490
      4. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1423

See more discussions