Wii sellers getting shafted..hooray

35 replies
Found 19th Dec 2007
This is great.
Wii on ebay going for around £180 including postage. Sellers are losing money.
Loads obviously hung on to them for the last possible time before Xmas in the hope of high sales...but people bought early because the shortage was so publicised.
Now they all come on this forum as a newbie..and still want over £180, or try to sell rubbish bundles at inflated prices.
Serves them right for buying rubbish bundles from stores in a desperate attempt to make money and screw over parents at Xmas:)

1. Misc
  2. Wii
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Wii
35 Comments

Yep, there's been loads of rubbish new Wii sellers here in the last few days. Even CeX are only paying £160 now- the sad thing is that most of the greedy ******s will get £160ish for them and so only take a small hit. Oh well- kudos to Nintendo for actually doing something to get them in the shops before Xmas. I guess nobody could predict the massive demand for them.

I sold my 60GB PS3 to CeX today for £296, am going to go fetch the cash later and buy a 40GB with Drake's Fortune Lego Star Wars and another game for an extra £3 straight away! Can't beat the old buy and sell routine

I bought one in november for £180 and was in two minds whether to keep it or sell it on ebay. In the end the temptation of having it sat in front of me for a week got the better of me and i opened it. Glad i did cos now i am enjoying playing it and i wouldnt have made much money anyway. So much for the great shortage!!

It does seem there is a slow down in demand.
It seemed to peak a week or 2 ago, consoles selling for £230 upwards, but this week, on this site and ebay you will be lucky to get £210 max with games thrown in.

I dont understand why some would think ebay is the cheapest place to buy.

So many things ove rpriced, over bidded and many are fakes.

Original Poster

Well I looked on the bay..and the 1 I saw went through at £160 and £25 delivery..

Not sure why you swapped in your 60gb ps3 mate..unless you want a new warranty again?

Gutted, £127 lol : 140191371806

LOL SHENGIS.
Thats made my day

HAHA, serves them right, ive noticed that, get loads of newbies selling wii console with 5 games £200 and £30 to cover paypal fee's and my time and effort. Glad i got mine a few months back

140191371806 - I haven't played it yet,but that IS the lowest price I've seen! I am not against people buying stuff and selling it on Ebay,that's what makes the world go around. I have over paid for things I want,and made money on things I don't...A guy I worked with many years ago once said to me when I was doing all the overtime under the sun this, "Big man,yer aff yer heid,a shroud has nae pockets" Puts everything in to perspective... We think we have it sussed,24hr shops,access to anything and everything,yet many people are still unhappy and trying to "buy" happiness. Is this what we have become? People starving the world over,billions who don't even have access to fresh water,and the majority just want more more more. I wonder when we start to live on the moon if things will be the same
God Bless everyone,and remember why we celebrate Christmas,not what coca-cola has brainwashed you in to thinking it is all about :santa:

t0mm;1365955

LOL SHENGIS.Thats made my day

Funny thing was it was literally finishing as I searched, doesn't bode well for others. Then again, maybe that seller didn't understand the concept of shilling, as most of the Wii sellers do.

I also thought it was rather amusing when the PS3 was launched, everybody pre-ordered to make a quick killing and supply WELL outstripped demand, then on top of that Ebay FORCED sellers to take Paypal so they lost even more lol.

billyX;1365814

I sold my 60GB PS3 to CeX today for £296, am going to go fetch the cash … I sold my 60GB PS3 to CeX today for £296, am going to go fetch the cash later and buy a 40GB with Drake's Fortune Lego Star Wars and another game for an extra £3 straight away! Can't beat the old buy and sell routine

Why would you sell your 60GB PS3 for a 40GB one? That doesn't make any sense.

smashed;1365876

Well I looked on the bay..and the 1 I saw went through at £160 and £25 d … Well I looked on the bay..and the 1 I saw went through at £160 and £25 delivery.. Not sure why you swapped in your 60gb ps3 mate..unless you want a new warranty again?

Well, the warranty was a big plus to push me towards it- nobody I know has a PS3 that's failed but as mine gets close to a year old and is still running superwarm I thought i'd try the cooler chipset of the new 40GB. That plus three free games for the price i'm selling the PS3 for made me decide to do it. I've got an external xvid player which i can bung my torrents on so the card slots on the 60GB don't get used anyway, and i've only got 3 ps2 games, all my classics- MGS, Jumping Flash, Rosco McQueen, Parappa, Treasures of the Deep, Die Hard, Bishi Bashi are PS1 games, which the fourty still plays. I may very well treat myself to a US 80GB and a bunch od NSTC PS2 games next holiday though... take an extra bag and i'm sorted

rehydrated- snopes.com/cok…asp coke didn't popularise santa! although it DID use to containe cocaine snopes.com/cok…asp

Because hes getting 3 games for 3 pound extra

i c......

Hey Billy,
Thanks. Loads of people think it was coca-cola who invented santa,there was something on tv saying the same thing the other day..:thumbsup:.

rehydrated;1366337

Hey Billy,Thanks. Loads of people think it was coca-cola who invented … Hey Billy,Thanks. Loads of people think it was coca-cola who invented santa,there was something on tv saying the same thing the other day..:thumbsup:.

St Nick or whatever was always around but he was shown wearing leathers, kinda like an old pioneer would have worn. Coca Cola brought out a marketing campaign though that depicted him as he is popularly seen today in his 'Team Coca Cola' colours. Well I think anyways, thats my take on it. They never invented him as such but they did turn him into a marketing icon.
Just went to wiki to try confirm this but they never had anything on it really, though looking at the pics you can see how he used to be before he done PR and public shows hehe.
en.wikipedia.org/wik…aus
Wait I just done a word search for coca cola and it explains it ...

Images of Santa Claus were further cemented through ]Haddon Sundblom's depiction of him for ]The Coca-Cola Company's Christmas advertising. The popularity of the image spawned ]urban legends that Santa Claus was in fact invented by Coca-Cola or that Santa wears red and white because those are the Coca-Cola colors. In fact, Coca-Cola was not even the first ]soft drink company to utilize the modern image Santa Claus in its advertising – ]White Rock Beverages used Santa in advertisements for its ]ginger ale in ]1923 after first using him to sell ]mineral water in ]1915. Even though Coca-Cola was not the first to do this, their massive campaign was one of the main reasons for why Santa Claus ended up depicted as wearing red and white, in contrast to the variety of colours he wore prior to the campaign.

So as it says he had a variety of colours but due to massive amounts of 'coke' being used he stayed like that.

Yeah, i'd never heard that til a mate mentioned it a few years back. The same mate had once said that mcdonalds open a new outlet somewhere in the world every three minutes (my quick maths skills showed 20 an hour was 480 a day and 175000 a year, mcdonalds being founded in the 50's, that'd be over 8 million restaurants, which would mean our high streets would be pretty overcrowded) so I googled it and found snopes. Was genuinely surprised that coke once included cocaine (although less than a gram per 25 million gallons wasn't that impressive) as I thought that was an urban myth too!
anyway... the pointless things we know nowadays eh

I'ts strange how the people who winge that ebayers are ripping them off dont complain now that pople are selling them below RRP. This is how Ebay works its pure supply and demand. If your prepared to pay stupid amounts someone will sell to your stupidy. Ebay is just a mirror of the general stock market where persons win and lose on price differentials between Demand/Desire Vs Supply/Need.
Now I wonder how many people are going to start bleating that selling at such low prices is unfair to the poor retailers who cant compete with all of Ebays loss leaders:-D

Even that £127 one was a ripoff, git wanted £30 postage. Obvious fee avoidance there.

:lol:

By the way I reported a seller the other day who was selling a 360 game for 99p BIN, FREEPOST quite proudly proclaimed in the title but about £20 postage in the box lol. Listing removed within 20 minutes.

Shengis;1366566

Even that £127 one was a ripoff, git wanted £30 postage. Obvious fee a … Even that £127 one was a ripoff, git wanted £30 postage. Obvious fee avoidance there.:lol:By the way I reported a seller the other day who was selling a 360 game for 99p BIN, FREEPOST quite proudly proclaimed in the title but about £20 postage in the box lol. Listing removed within 20 minutes.

Ebay have anounced that they are cracking down on over inflated postage costs citing it as one of the biggest customer dissatisfiers. This is proving to be a highly contentious issue for many sellers who use differing couriers/ transport methods etc etc. The fact is that Ebay dont give a toss about buyers or sellers as long as they are he ones making money. The only reason they care if postage costs are high is because they dont get a cut of the money. Any potential bidder with an iota of common sense can check postage costs and factor these into the overall price.

Here 's a question - How come when sellers genuinely offer Freepost or very low postage costs Ebay dont give some of there extortionate 9% Final Value fee (media products games etc) back to the sellers. There all too keen to put a juicy big link on their front page to sellers offering freepost but they dont renumerate them with lower selling fees. Instead they threaten those that they feel are unreasonably inflating thm because of losing out on their cut.
Sounds like "drug dealer politics" and phrases like the "hand that giveth also taketh" spring to mind.

Totally agree mate. I've seen it from both sides of the fence and ebay is ****, no question. In general I won't report people but that big FREEPOST in the title and the £20 in the postage box got my back up lol. At the end of the day, you bid knowing the postage cost from the outset, so why start whingeing after the fact? Oh thats right, cos your an idiot who like to whinge. I hate buyers like that. Make a contract and stick to it, if you don't like the postage costs upfront, buy from another seller. Can't get more simple than that eh? And don't get me started on Paypoo and the way ebay are trying to force everybody to take it as primary (and no doubt in the future ONLY) method of payment. Grrrrr.

Oh, just to add, i'm the most lovely ebay seller you would ever like to meet :-D

Original Poster

Ebay is a stitch for everybody. But 9% for media takes the biscuit. It wouldnt be so bad if some of that was used to employ people to remove the pirated media on there...but they are not interested as that also gains them revenue.
If that was a highstreet shop, they would be fined horrendously.
Legally, there is an onus on the site to ensure these things are not traded on there. But they get away with it

And don't forget they decided to increase the FVF on toys 'just for xmas' for the 'sellers benefit'. Lovely.

]Link.

yay! hope the same thing happens to the DS lite sellers who
want £170 for a console in Amazon marketplace!

£30 for postage on a WII isn't that bad IMO - the actual Special Delivery charge is £20 then you have the time spent packing it, the packaging (assuming you wrap it well), petrol to the PO, standing in line for at least 40 mins for the Special Delivery to be stamped - adding £10 onto a £20 charge doesn't seem much for the aggravation of posting it and worrying about whether it gets there safely etc. over the convenience of someone coming to collect and paying cash in which case you have no hassle and are guaranteed no chargeback hassle etc.

Its not rocket science for a buyer to deduct £10 from their bid is it???

Christine

I never charge for my time packaging stuff- and I don't see many charge for theirs on ebay either. Then again, if I was after a Wii and saw a £30 postage charge I wouldn't bother looking at the listing anyway. When I get a parcel and see the postage is a lot less than what I paid I am annoyed- when it's spot on I leave great feedback cos I don't feel like i've been ripped off. Will anybody really use the new 'stars' rating system to guide purchases though- if i'm buying a £10 item for 99p BIN and £9 postage charge, I know what's happening and don't think i'm getting ripped off. Ebay are pants, aren't they?

^ That's the thing, it's £20 ish to send Royal Mail, but you can send it alot cheaper via courier...most people here know that so £30 seems like a lot but I'd say most eBay occasional sellers have no idea you can send things via other methods than Royal Mail.

One here went for £175 inc postage, owch...after fees they are going to have made a £30+ loss on that at least!

everydayisxmas;1366937

Its not rocket science for a buyer to deduct £10 from their bid is … Its not rocket science for a buyer to deduct £10 from their bid is it???Christine

Or a lot more than £10 in the case of the £127 Wii. Buyers in general see a high postage and bid very low or avoid altogether. I take the same line as Billyx, if 'overall' its a spanking deal compared to everywhere else i'll buy it, as whether the cost is mainly postage or not, i'm still paying the same.

Starlet;1366998

^ That's the thing, it's £20 ish to send Royal Mail, but you can send it … ^ That's the thing, it's £20 ish to send Royal Mail, but you can send it alot cheaper via courier...most people here know that so £30 seems like a lot but I'd say most eBay occasional sellers have no idea you can send things via other methods than Royal Mail. One here went for £175 inc postage, owch...after fees they are going to have made a £30+ loss on that at least!290192010091

Oh I think there are many sellers who would love to cut costs and send via Parcel2send for £13.99 or less but have a job to go to and cant sit at home all day waiting for a courier to turn up. Royal Mail parcels would sound like a good and cheaper option but lo and behold its not trackable and takes days to get there.

People get too emotive about ebay buying. You see the same mentality in 3rd world tourist traps where someone feels terribly aggrieved that they weren't able to screw the t-shirt vendor to sell at 20 pence less like the guy stood next to them just did.

Maybe tonight I should go round Tesco's and tell the guy on the till that he's conning me because Asda sell their baked beans for less. :-D Lovely world we live in.

that's just 'bean' silly...

ebay is a strange fish. I always enclose a note with the things I sell, 'thanks for buying, any probs email me asap' sort of thing, but so many people send stuff just in an envelope, it seems pretty impersonal- but then I guess we all value our space nowadays...

odriscoll;1366083

Because hes getting 3 games for 3 pound extra

and a inferiour ps3 with small hard drive and cant play ps2 games :thumbsup:

apparently, next year SOny are releasing an add on for the 40 gb ps3 to play your ps2 games, as the console messes the game up. i overheard the gamestation guy talking about it, however it is not required for the 60gb.

Daytrader;1367421

and a inferiour ps3 with small hard drive and cant play ps2 games … and a inferiour ps3 with small hard drive and cant play ps2 games :thumbsup:

smaller and inferior- you sound like Sassie....

Running cooler is my top priority. Losing card ports i've never used and ps2 compat isn't a big deal.
As said elsewhere, how many times has anyone played ps1 games on a ps2? I'll prob pick up a ps2 or US 80gb ps3 later- and use the 40 for work. Three free games made me decide to do the swap, but I do think that with the fourty Sony have got it right- if they'd have taken out wifi or blu ray they would be stuffed.

strike;1367712

apparently, next year SOny are releasing an add on for the 40 gb ps3 to … apparently, next year SOny are releasing an add on for the 40 gb ps3 to play your ps2 games, as the console messes the game up. i overheard the gamestation guy talking about it, however it is not required for the 60gb.

Northampton Town...

Now is the time for Wiibayers to get them consoles re-listed.

Get it while it's hot.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. How much should fitting bathroom cost58
    2. Best place to get Euro's... this Wednesday?1221
    3. Schuh discount code22
    4. Is this expensive?1119

See more discussions