Wii U Gamepad screen looks cracked but isn't cracked.

Found 29th Feb 2016
Long story short, the wife stupidly put the Wii U console high up on a shelf, cat knocked it off shelf, and the console (which is very heavy) fell straight onto Wii U Gamepad lying flat on carpet below.

You can't buy common sense unfortunately and you certainly can't teach it.

So heres the bizzare thing. The gamepad screen is physically okay. Yet when powered on it just displays a cracked image with some colour to make it look cracked. It is not working however display wise, although there is sound.

Any ideas?

aAAAAAAARGH.
Community Updates
25 Comments
Tragic and funny at the same time. My only idea is someone's head must roll for this, so your decision must be between the cat and the wife.
Are you able to share a photo, so that we can understand what you're seeing?

Either way, I'd guess that you're likely to need to get the screen repaired/replaced. Nintendo can do this for you as a repair outside of warranty, with a cost. I expect that they'd classify this as a "major" repair, though, which attracts a hefty fee of £137.50.

nintendoservicecentre.co.uk/pri…ist
Edited by: "Illusionary" 29th Feb 2016
Original Poster
Illusionary

Are you able to share a photo, so that we can understand what you're … Are you able to share a photo, so that we can understand what you're seeing?Either way, I'd guess that you're likely to need to get the screen repaired/replaced. Nintendo can do this for you as a repair outside of warranty, with a cost. I expect that they'd classify this as a "major" repair, though, which attracts a hefty fee of £137.50.http://nintendoservicecentre.co.uk/price-list

EDIT: forgot the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYyH2EoAXEk&ebc=ANyPxKqfMMU5mnkHc5okqfcCqJmpLFm1oQoKRomTIVN60iAUt9rNnMtXRS5aRhc5o9DLzot_4F3i

There is some functionality. When I connected everything to TV, the Wii U started to boot up but never moved on from the "Wii U" logo picture and then it disconnects soon after. There is sound as said on gamepad screen, but no display. Took a photo on digi cam, just sorting out an upload...

Sure, will upload a photo shortly. Its a bit like at the start of this 'fix your gamepad' video on youtube, but not exactly the same. There seems to be equipment on ebay for a little over £20 that in theory *should* fix it, but does not look like the most straight forward fix to me.

Edited by: "noahsdad" 29th Feb 2016
The lcd will probably be cracked behind the digitiser. I fixed my children's game pad after one of them stood on it with a replacement from amazon. Took about half an hour and it was a little fiddly but worked a treat.
I contacted them with a query regarding fixing a broken gamepad screen & received this reply:

We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with your Nintendo GamePad.

Based on your description we recommend that you book a free assessment by either phone or our service centre website so we can inspect the item.

If your Wii U GamePad meets all of the terms of the warranty we can repair it free of charge. If your Wii U GamePad does not meet the terms of the warranty we will then quote you for a chargeable repair.

The possible repair charges for the Wii U GamePad are £53.50 and 85.50. There is no obligation to proceed with a chargeable repair and the item can be returned unrepaired at no cost to you.

If you prefer to book via our website then please visit the below address and click on “Book a new repair”. During our opening hours you can also speak to one of our advisors through the “Ask Mii” service on our website at http://www.nintendoservicecentre.co.uk

During the booking you will be asked for the serial number of your GamePad. The serial number is the 3 letters and 9 numbers below the barcode on the white label located on the back of the GamePad.

Alternatively, if you experience any difficulties using the website or prefer to speak to an advisor directly, please call us on 0345 60 50 247. Our friendly staff will help with any queries you may have and book your Nintendo Wii U Gamepad in for an assessment.

The Service Centre hours are between 08:30 to 19:00 Monday to Friday & Saturday 08:30 to 15:30 (Excluding Bank Holidays).

We do hope that you find our service easy to use and we look forward to assisting you. If you have any other questions or queries then please do not hesitate to contact us.
Edited by: "bernardsfingers" 29th Feb 2016
Original Poster
bernardsfingers

I contacted them with a query regarding fixing a broken gamepad screen & … I contacted them with a query regarding fixing a broken gamepad screen & received this reply:We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with your Nintendo GamePad.Based on your description we recommend that you book a free assessment by either phone or our service centre website so we can inspect the item.If your Wii U GamePad meets all of the terms of the warranty we can repair it free of charge. If your Wii U GamePad does not meet the terms of the warranty we will then quote you for a chargeable repair.The possible repair charges for the Wii U GamePad are £53.50 and 85.50. There is no obligation to proceed with a chargeable repair and the item can be returned unrepaired at no cost to you.If you prefer to book via our website then please visit the below address and click on “Book a new repair”. During our opening hours you can also speak to one of our advisors through the “Ask Mii” service on our website at http://www.nintendoservicecentre.co.ukDuring the booking you will be asked for the serial number of your GamePad. The serial number is the 3 letters and 9 numbers below the barcode on the white label located on the back of the GamePad.Alternatively, if you experience any difficulties using the website or prefer to speak to an advisor directly, please call us on 0345 60 50 247. Our friendly staff will help with any queries you may have and book your Nintendo Wii U Gamepad in for an assessment.The Service Centre hours are between 08:30 to 19:00 Monday to Friday & Saturday 08:30 to 15:30 (Excluding Bank Holidays).We do hope that you find our service easy to use and we look forward to assisting you. If you have any other questions or queries then please do not hesitate to contact us.

I really should have returned that warranty card (this isn't going well is it). I could return the card then give it a few weeks... only bought it in December for kids Xmas. The self fix is looking best option all round, in terms of timescale also, don't want to be without it for weeks/months. Nintendo customer service sounds more than decent with hardware issues to be fair.

PS cant upload an image at moment as does not let me upload from my computer, seems to need a URL.
Noahsdad, you can get replacement gamepads. Check eBay, you are looking at about £60 for a new one.
noahsdad

I really should have returned that warranty card (this isn't going well … I really should have returned that warranty card (this isn't going well is it). I could return the card then give it a few weeks... only bought it in December for kids Xmas. The self fix is looking best option all round, in terms of timescale also, don't want to be without it for weeks/months. Nintendo customer service sounds more than decent with hardware issues to be fair.PS cant upload an image at moment as does not let me upload from my computer, seems to need a URL.

Returning the warranty card wouldn't have helped you here - this wouldn't be covered, as it's accidental damage.

I personally wouldn't want to try a 'self-fix' - you might just end up making it worse - but that's of course a desicition that you'll need to make for yourself. If you do decide to send it in for repair, they're quick to deal with these things - I'd estimate that you're only looking at about a week's turnaround, from you sending to receiving back, and they cover all shipping arrangements/costs.
Original Poster
Illusionary

Returning the warranty card wouldn't have helped you here - this wouldn't … Returning the warranty card wouldn't have helped you here - this wouldn't be covered, as it's accidental damage.I personally wouldn't want to try a 'self-fix' - you might just end up making it worse - but that's of course a desicition that you'll need to make for yourself. If you do decide to send it in for repair, they're quick to deal with these things - I'd estimate that you're only looking at about a week's turnaround, from you sending to receiving back, and they cover all shipping arrangements/costs.

Yeah, I am gonna sleep on it and not rush into any decisions. Although at the moment my favoured option I am leaning towards is:

1. LCD Display screen £16.99 delivered
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-WII-U-LCD-DISPLAY-GAMEPAD-REPLACEMENT-UK-SELLER-FAST-POST-/161367500010

2.TOUCH SCREEN DIGITISER £5.99 delivered
ebay.co.uk/itm…472?hash=item2344891b50:g:IKoAAOxyVLNS~MKB

Not sure if I need both or just one of the above. But could fit the screen first as most likely problem, then take it from there.

Worst case scenario is I will be £23 down and a bit of my time wasted and still no functioning Wii U.
Original Poster
For the record, the Wii U gamepad screen looks like this when powered on (found this on google).
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/187x0ktomnismjpg/original.jpg

But just to reiterate physically it looks fine and not damaged at all. This is just a cracked display image obviously to signify some internal hardware fault.
Original Poster
craigstephens

The lcd will probably be cracked behind the digitiser. I fixed my … The lcd will probably be cracked behind the digitiser. I fixed my children's game pad after one of them stood on it with a replacement from amazon. Took about half an hour and it was a little fiddly but worked a treat.

Do you have the link to the product you ordered?
That sucks for you - sorry. I have noticed cex sell gamepads for £70 (think it is the white one though) if you then factor in you can buy vouchers from a fellow member at 80% (so £56) and that cex give 12 months warranty it could be a v viable option for you.
noahsdad

Do you have the link to the product you ordered?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CO4LBLC/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_LGu1wbEX19Q87

The hardest part was separating the lcd from the digitiser, it feels like you're gonna break something but you just have to go for it.
Original Poster
nicblaney

That sucks for you - sorry. I have noticed cex sell gamepads for £70 … That sucks for you - sorry. I have noticed cex sell gamepads for £70 (think it is the white one though) if you then factor in you can buy vouchers from a fellow member at 80% (so £56) and that cex give 12 months warranty it could be a v viable option for you.

Thanks guys, both are options. It dawned on me after sleeping on it, it could possibly be the Wii U console that is damaged and not that gamepad, as the 2 things talk to each other, and the Wii U console fell about 50cm" and is very heavy and fell with a thud.

As I can't be sure if its the gamepad or the console thats damanged (or even both, probably not likely though). I have raised a request for a free repair assessment from nintendo UK. Did this online. It seems best to do a proper fault diagnosis and get the Nintendo opinion. I have MK8 built in (or DL code) and Splatoon DL code and some other Eshop stuff, so would be easiest to get it fixed.

craigstephens

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CO4LBLC/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_LGu1wbEX19Q87The hardest part was separating the lcd from the digitiser, it feels like you're gonna break something but you just have to go for it.

Banned
While you technically didn't break the screen you also did, remember that the GamePad uses dated technology which is resistive touchscreen so it reacts differently from a capacity touchscreen device. If it were an iPhone it'd be even worse, I reckon.

Anyway, you can probably do it yourself and save spending £60+ just by doing it yourself. Head on over to GBATemp.net and they'll tell you how to replace it.
Original Poster
Have managed to get the Wii U console working on the TV now, can be used with a remote. Or the gamepad controls, just no gamepad screen function. As long as the Wii U console is turned on first it seems to work. So looks like the console is a bit more robust and is fine. Seems 99% likely its a gamepad screen and/or digitiser problem then.
Just buy one from cex.. Or rather make your Mrs buy it
If you are going to self repair buy the LCD and the digtiser, will make things much easier, they are near to impossible to separate without braking the digitiser. It can be done but if your screen looks like the one in the picture then you will probably find it will come off in pieces making it even harder.
Original Poster
Argoj

If you are going to self repair buy the LCD and the digtiser, will make … If you are going to self repair buy the LCD and the digtiser, will make things much easier, they are near to impossible to separate without braking the digitiser. It can be done but if your screen looks like the one in the picture then you will probably find it will come off in pieces making it even harder.

It only looks like the picture shown when turned on.... thats the odd thing. Physically the screen looks perfect with no cracks. The cracks are actually just an image the Wii U console projects onto the gamepad screen when powered. It is like a not very subtle error msg of sorts I guess. I wouldn't be expecting to find any pieces of shattered LCD glass or anything like that.
noahsdad

It only looks like the picture shown when turned on.... thats the odd … It only looks like the picture shown when turned on.... thats the odd thing. Physically the screen looks perfect with no cracks. The cracks are actually just an image the Wii U console projects onto the gamepad screen when powered. It is like a not very subtle error msg of sorts I guess. I wouldn't be expecting to find any pieces of shattered LCD glass or anything like that.

I have had a couple of tablet screens that showed like yours, when opened up they both had cracked LCDs but intact digitisers.
Original Poster
For anyone interested or who experiences this I will update the thread as things progress. Nintendo UK were excellent and offer to email or post out a free Royal Mail Parcel Force label to send in the Wii U for free assessment. So I sent it off yesterday. Even if I don't authorise a repair, they will return it to me for free. If I get quoted anything £60 or less I will just get Nintendo to fix it, as for my time and hassle, and potential for things to go wrong trying to fix + expense I prefer the Nintendo option. I believe I might also need to buy some special screwdrivers if I try to fix myself.
Hello...what happened? How much did Nintendo charge? This has just happened to ours....
Original Poster
Barnapus

Hello...what happened? How much did Nintendo charge? This has just … Hello...what happened? How much did Nintendo charge? This has just happened to ours....

Wasn't cheap, from memory was about £90 including all the postage and fix. It all happened fairly quickly, good customer service and fast turn around. Had it back within 4 or 5 days of sending it off. Was like brand new when I got it back. When you contact Nintendo to arrange it, they email you a postage label you can print of. There may be other cheaper ways to fix or self fix, but I did not fancy it, and just took the hit. You might be as well just buying a 2nd hand Wii U gamepad, or console+gamepad as the prices are about to fall now it has been retired.
Here's a cheap ebay repair option

ebay.co.uk/itm…193?hash=item33c37de279:g:KD8AAOSwMNxXZtd0
Original Poster
retrend

Here's a cheap ebay repair … Here's a cheap ebay repair optionhttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wii-U-Gamepad-REPAIR-SERVICE-Broken-Unresponsive-screen-Faulty-Buttons-WE-FIX-/222323139193?hash=item33c37de279:g:KD8AAOSwMNxXZtd0

I'd personally go with that recommendation. The dude has great feedback, the policy is clear and fair, and above all else it is a fair price.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions