Wikipad 7" tablet - HDMI question...

Found 9th Aug 2015
I have been experimenting with my new Wikipad tablet - trying all the various connections (headphones, SD card, bluetooth etc) to make sure they all work but I've hit a small snag. The HDMI port is supposed to be a "micro" one. I purchased a Mobitek HDMI to Micro HDMI cable, which says on the packet:

"The cable connects a tablet, smart phone, digital camera/camcorder or other device equipped with a micro HDMI (HDMI D) port to a full-size HDMI (HDMI A) port found on most video displays."

Thing is, the micro HDMI end doesn't fit into the tablet. It looks longer and thinner than the tablet port. So, can anyone suggest where I'm going wrong? Having read the manual (very poor, by the way) I can't find any info to tell me what version of "micro" port the tablet has - i.e. B, C, D etc. All I can add is that the Mobitek packet says in tiny writing at the bottom:

"Does not work with Samsung phones. You will need a MHL cable for you Samsung mobile phone device."

Silly thing to ask but would the tablet (even though it's not Samsung) have been fitted with one of these 'other' ports? A bit like when other manufacturers fit Samsung panels to their flatscreen tv's?

Any help is appreciated as I don't want to rush and buy another cable that won't fit/work. Thanks guys.

Best regards, Phsy.
Community Updates
AskTablet
11 Comments
All the reviews I can find state its a micro HDMI cable are you sure you purchased the correct cable?
en.wikipedia.org/wik…pad
Original Poster
arachnoid

All the reviews I can find state its a micro HDMI cable are you sure you … All the reviews I can find state its a micro HDMI cable are you sure you purchased the correct cable?https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipad

Hi arachnoid. Thx for your input. I too looked at various reviews in hope of finding out the exact spec of HDMI - but as you say, they all just say "micro" HDMI. All I can tell you is that the cable came from Poundland (yep, it's a cheapy!) but it states quite boldly on the front of the packet:

1m HDMI to MICRO HDMI cable.

In fact, looking on the internet, the only picture of this cable is the first "Google" image from an Ebay sale. That's it.
Can you post some images of the cable end and the port?
Original Poster
arachnoid

Can you post some images of the cable end and the port?

Sorry my friend. I had a go but my phone won't focus close enough to get a good image. All I can say is that the "socket" port on the tablet is ever-so-slightly 'fatter' than the plug on the cable. You can "feel" that it's not going to fit - if you know what I mean.
Original Poster
I was just looking on Amazon and I noticed that their own "Amazon Basics" cable:

amazon.co.uk/Ama…5QI

just happens to have; word for word; the same info (in the manufacturer blurb) from the back of the packet of my Mobitek cable. Perhaps made by the same company? Who knows. Anyhoo, I noticed the first review was from someone who says they bought it for their tablet and it doesn't fit. Further still, another review says it's a very tight fit. Well, they're not kidding. I'm not sure I'd want to 'force' fit this one. The old "square peg - round hole" scenario!

I was more hoping someone might read this and say that they also have a Wikipad and cable "X" from "insert name here" works just fine. I'd rather not start buying cable after cable - finding they don't fit either.
If you have a micro usb port on the device just check it for size against that as to me its sounding like its a micro usb plug on the end of it
usbandfirewirecables.blogspot.co.uk/201…tml
https://i.gyazo.com/3737178ed7bd9905cc830f7893c0ccc0.png
He said the tablet port was shorter and fatter than the HDMI port, in the opposite direction to a MicroUSB port.

How many contacts does the port have? If it's standard Micro HDMI it should have 19 so anything else means it's definitely a different port rather than just shoddy manufacturing.
Phsycronix

Hi arachnoid. Thx for your input. I too looked at various reviews in hope … Hi arachnoid. Thx for your input. I too looked at various reviews in hope of finding out the exact spec of HDMI - but as you say, they all just say "micro" HDMI. All I can tell you is that the cable came from Poundland (yep, it's a cheapy!) but it states quite boldly on the front of the packet:1m HDMI to MICRO HDMI cable.In fact, looking on the internet, the only picture of this cable is the first "Google" image from an Ebay sale. That's it.

I bought the same one and it does state micro HDMI on the packet, but it is in fact a micro usb, so I'm afraid we have been seen off to the tune of £1 as I have no idea what would use a micro usb to hdmi cable, (any ideas anyone? )
mikey_d

I have no idea what would use a micro usb to hdmi cable, (any ideas … I have no idea what would use a micro usb to hdmi cable, (any ideas anyone? )

Early MHL implementations.
Original Poster
mikey_d

I bought the same one and it does state micro HDMI on the packet, but it … I bought the same one and it does state micro HDMI on the packet, but it is in fact a micro usb, so I'm afraid we have been seen off to the tune of £1 as I have no idea what would use a micro usb to hdmi cable, (any ideas anyone? )

Hi mikey_d, and thank you for your message of confirmation. You are most definitely correct. I have been to Poundland and checked and they were mis-packaged. All the ones now in stock are HDMI to micro USB and do say that on the packets. Feel a bit of a 'nana' for not twigging that it was USB myself but I can rest, safe in the knowledge that I wasn't going nuts and they were wrong. Hehe.

I too began to wonder what you would use an HDMI to USB cable for. Maybe I'll have a wee 'Google' when I can be bothered. Anyway, at least I can draw a line under it and now shop for a proper cable. Once again, thanks to the HUKD community another mystery is solved.

Best regards to all.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants