Wildlife photography camera

Posted 18th Feb 2023
My 15yr old son has used a Pansonic Lumix FZ82 for the last 2 years. It was a starter camera for him as he loves nature but we are thinking it may be time to move up a level. Most of his photos are taken in bird hides or in nature reserves/nature walks. He doesn't really take landscapes.
I have researched but it is a minefield. It would be great to get something that is not too difficult to use but will allow him to take better shots than what he can take now (don't get me wrong, the Panasonic is a fab little camera).
Budget £500 (could possibly go up to £600). What sort of set up/equipment/accessories are recommended?
Thanks so much.
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

12 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Buckyball
    It will be quite difficult to get decent equipment in your price range. For most wildlife pictures you will need a telephoto lense that itself is a lot more expensive.

I would look for used ay mpb.com (edited)
    taxboy
    Agree wildlife photography can be pricey. Has he tried garden bird photography where effectively you are bringing the birds in something like this, although lots of articles available online
    D3LL80Y
    Do you need the amount of zoom that the current camera has? It will be hard to beat that amount of zoom if you get a camera with a bigger sensor, especially in price range.
    magpieno1 Author
    Tbh, I find it all confusing (e.g. sensors ). I know his current camera has great zoom but the photos he gets are nothing compared to people who have camera/lens setups.
    He by no means needs a super duper fancy set up but at the same time he needs something better than what he has. I just don't know what that is
    As it is not something I do myself, I find the options/terminology overwhelming
    MonkeysUncle
    Does the existing camera have any adaptors so you can add a different lens etc.

I have a old Sony a series camera and picked up an adapter so I could fit old 1960s lenses on it.
    magpieno1 Author
    Unfortunately not
    joyf4536
    Get the camera closer to the animals, don't go for the silly stupid Telephoto lengths.
    Buckyball
    Works very well with bears and lions etc
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants