Wilko Charging £2 Order and Collect

Posted 14th Aug 2019
just a heads up to let you all know that Wilko will be charging £2 for click and collect as of today 14th August 2019
Community Updates
Top comments
I don't get why companies think this is a good idea. At the very least they should offer free collection above a minimum spend.
andrewworrall114/08/2019 16:41

Exactly. The whole point of using click and collect over home delivery for …Exactly. The whole point of using click and collect over home delivery for me is because it's free. I wouldn't want to pay for having to collect something. Some shops just reserve the item if it's already in stock anyway, so you're then just basically paying a fee to reserve something

Wilko actually send items from their warehouse, even if in stock in store. The issue is for me that Wilko click and collect is slow - that's understandable if it is free but paying £2 for the privilege is unacceptable, especially since customers expect free click and collect.

I definitely do click and collect mainly because it is free or cheaper, otherwise I probably wouldn't bother.
Ok, so a company wants customers to pay for click and collect.
- This is a company that has been in trouble
- Sells cheap, low profit items.
- Maintains rateable stores in high streets
- Need to pay greater numbers of staff to keep a store ticking over
- Provide face to face assurance where possible
- Keep stock in multiple locations and at sufficient levels to keep customers happy
- Somehow maintain an affordable online presence while competing with cheaper online only companies.
- transport stock about on a whim

So basically they have decided to charge for all of the above. For a service that most people probably abuse to get a cheap box of chocolates or clearance garden gnomes. Where next to no profit is left if there even is any.

Yes, yes, yes. We are all here to save money and spending more is against the grain. At the same time I want to see stores still exist in 10 years+ and provide a service. People need to remember stores cost money to run.

They could do this better and do orders over £25 free or 10 different items or something else.
I refuse to pay for collect in-store on principal.

They're already making deliveries to their stores. Why should we pay their costs for them?
50 Comments
I don't get why companies think this is a good idea. At the very least they should offer free collection above a minimum spend.
won't be using that anytime soon then, thanks for the heads up OP.

The millets "delivered to your nearest store (picked by our staff at the local store) & you pay for the privilege is insidious, anything the store didn't have came from their central warehouse on their delivery day anyway, the shopper is just paying out to not browse instore (defeating the purpose of a store). ...& charging you for the "convenience" ( a 30 mile drive in my case).
jamie1514/08/2019 16:08

I don't get why companies think this is a good idea. At the very least …I don't get why companies think this is a good idea. At the very least they should offer free collection above a minimum spend.

Exactly. The whole point of using click and collect over home delivery for me is because it's free. I wouldn't want to pay for having to collect something. Some shops just reserve the item if it's already in stock anyway, so you're then just basically paying a fee to reserve something
andrewworrall114/08/2019 16:41

Exactly. The whole point of using click and collect over home delivery for …Exactly. The whole point of using click and collect over home delivery for me is because it's free. I wouldn't want to pay for having to collect something. Some shops just reserve the item if it's already in stock anyway, so you're then just basically paying a fee to reserve something

Wilko actually send items from their warehouse, even if in stock in store. The issue is for me that Wilko click and collect is slow - that's understandable if it is free but paying £2 for the privilege is unacceptable, especially since customers expect free click and collect.

I definitely do click and collect mainly because it is free or cheaper, otherwise I probably wouldn't bother.
jamie1514/08/2019 16:46

...I definitely do click and collect mainly because it is free or cheaper, …...I definitely do click and collect mainly because it is free or cheaper, otherwise I probably wouldn't bother.

Wilko evidently believes it will still be a competitive option, which is probably a fair point cos most of its stock is cheap tat that would be even tattier if found cheaper eleswhere. Tat has its place in the market; it's just becoming more expensive to acquire
jamie1514/08/2019 16:46

Wilko actually send items from their warehouse, even if in stock in store. …Wilko actually send items from their warehouse, even if in stock in store. The issue is for me that Wilko click and collect is slow - that's understandable if it is free but paying £2 for the privilege is unacceptable, especially since customers expect free click and collect.I definitely do click and collect mainly because it is free or cheaper, otherwise I probably wouldn't bother.

Exactly. Postage charges I can understand, but paying to collect something in a store, no thanks.

I didn't know that Wilko send everything from their warehouse, but I know some other stores do reserve stock if already in store
andrewworrall114/08/2019 16:56

Exactly. Postage charges I can understand, but paying to collect something …Exactly. Postage charges I can understand, but paying to collect something in a store, no thanks.I didn't know that Wilko send everything from their warehouse, but I know some other stores do reserve stock if already in store

I ordered plenty from Wilko before, it always came packaged. Actually now that I think of it, it could have come from in store, but it didn't seem like it. I ordered some Rafaello for Quidco bonus, it came wrapped in loads of bubble wrap and had a sticker on with all the order information, didn't look like it came from store.
jamie1514/08/2019 16:58

I ordered plenty from Wilko before, it always came packaged. Actually now …I ordered plenty from Wilko before, it always came packaged. Actually now that I think of it, it could have come from in store, but it didn't seem like it. I ordered some Rafaello for Quidco bonus, it came wrapped in loads of bubble wrap and had a sticker on with all the order information, didn't look like it came from store.

Ah okay. I don't think I've ever ordered anything at all from Wilko, actually
I order from Wilkos often, usually sprays, cleaning stuff, things which are on offer for a £1 etc. Dont think il bother if i have to pay £2 to collect.
SteMoss14/08/2019 17:18

I order from Wilkos often, usually sprays, cleaning stuff, things which …I order from Wilkos often, usually sprays, cleaning stuff, things which are on offer for a £1 etc. Dont think il bother if i have to pay £2 to collect.

Some marketing boffin has an algorithm that states Wilko will make more money by charging for delivery / inducing larger value orders than the revenue lost from multiple low value orders not being placed.
Loads of places have started doing this now. They got everyone used to it first, and have now started charging.
jamie1514/08/2019 16:08

I don't get why companies think this is a good idea. At the very least …I don't get why companies think this is a good idea. At the very least they should offer free collection above a minimum spend.

If the stock was picked up from store stock it shouldn’t cost a penny, trouble is though most are picked from a central warehouse and shipped normally by the likes of Hermes and that costs money all eating into the profits.

What they should do is allow free delivery on the store delivery dates so at least the orders go in one lorry rather than the other way. The current process is not very cost effective or good for the environment.
eslick14/08/2019 17:59

If the stock was picked up from store stock it shouldn’t cost a penny, t …If the stock was picked up from store stock it shouldn’t cost a penny, trouble is though most are picked from a central warehouse and shipped normally by the likes of Hermes and that costs money all eating into the profits. What they should do is allow free delivery on the store delivery dates so at least the orders go in one lorry rather than the other way. The current process is not very cost effective or good for the environment.

Usually click and collect orders do come in with store deliveries though. That's why the option used to be free. Wilko click and collect is so slow I would be surprised if it didn't.
jamie1514/08/2019 18:02

Usually click and collect orders do come in with store deliveries though. …Usually click and collect orders do come in with store deliveries though. That's why the option used to be free. Wilko click and collect is so slow I would be surprised if it didn't.

don’t know about Wilko but most others are outside of the normal deliveries, at least the big companies we have bought from before.
Ok, so a company wants customers to pay for click and collect.
- This is a company that has been in trouble
- Sells cheap, low profit items.
- Maintains rateable stores in high streets
- Need to pay greater numbers of staff to keep a store ticking over
- Provide face to face assurance where possible
- Keep stock in multiple locations and at sufficient levels to keep customers happy
- Somehow maintain an affordable online presence while competing with cheaper online only companies.
- transport stock about on a whim

So basically they have decided to charge for all of the above. For a service that most people probably abuse to get a cheap box of chocolates or clearance garden gnomes. Where next to no profit is left if there even is any.

Yes, yes, yes. We are all here to save money and spending more is against the grain. At the same time I want to see stores still exist in 10 years+ and provide a service. People need to remember stores cost money to run.

They could do this better and do orders over £25 free or 10 different items or something else.
Oneday7714/08/2019 18:05

Ok, so a company wants customers to pay for click and collect. - This is a …Ok, so a company wants customers to pay for click and collect. - This is a company that has been in trouble- Sells cheap, low profit items. - Maintains rateable stores in high streets- Need to pay greater numbers of staff to keep a store ticking over - Provide face to face assurance where possible- Keep stock in multiple locations and at sufficient levels to keep customers happy- Somehow maintain an affordable online presence while competing with cheaper online only companies. - transport stock about on a whimSo basically they have decided to charge for all of the above. For a service that most people probably abuse to get a cheap box of chocolates or clearance garden gnomes. Where next to no profit is left if there even is any. Yes, yes, yes. We are all here to save money and spending more is against the grain. At the same time I want to see stores still exist in 10 years+ and provide a service. People need to remember stores cost money to run. They could do this better and do orders over £25 free or 10 different items or something else.

I agree with the last sentence. There should simply be a minimum order threshold for free collection, and low value items are charged a surcharge. However, that opens the door to people buying extra stuff and then returning.
jamie1514/08/2019 18:10

I agree with the last sentence. There should simply be a minimum order …I agree with the last sentence. There should simply be a minimum order threshold for free collection, and low value items are charged a surcharge. However, that opens the door to people buying extra stuff and then returning.

Easily fixed with a if order drops due to returns, £2 will deducted from returned item.
Edited by: "Oneday77" 14th Aug 2019
Oneday7714/08/2019 18:12

Easily fixed with a if order drops due to returns, £2 will deducted from …Easily fixed with a if order drops due to returns, £2 will deducted from returned item.

In theory yes, but in practice that is unlikely because it would cause a lot of customer confusion - especially with genuine returns.
I refuse to pay for collect in-store on principal.

They're already making deliveries to their stores. Why should we pay their costs for them?
No thanks wilko keep your item...I rather go else where.
Click and collect at Walsall is terrible.... I’m guessing it would be same in all stores. You will have to stand in a queue at till and when your turn comes the till operator takes the order number and goes to their back storage to fetch your order... meanwhile the people in queue after you starts getting annoyed by you and by the till operator. Thanks to £2 charge introduced today, I needed an another reason to stop ordering online from them. B&M and homebargains are close to me and their prices are pretty decent too.
1ks14/08/2019 22:07

Click and collect at Walsall is terrible.... I’m guessing it would be s …Click and collect at Walsall is terrible.... I’m guessing it would be same in all stores. You will have to stand in a queue at till and when your turn comes the till operator takes the order number and goes to their back storage to fetch your order... meanwhile the people in queue after you starts getting annoyed by you and by the till operator. Thanks to £2 charge introduced today, I needed an another reason to stop ordering online from them. B&M and homebargains are close to me and their prices are pretty decent too.

In my store there is a special click and collect desk but the same thing happens. Wilko have no common sense, any other store would put either the tills or a special click and collect counter next to the stock room instead!
jamie1514/08/2019 18:15

In theory yes, but in practice that is unlikely because it would cause a …In theory yes, but in practice that is unlikely because it would cause a lot of customer confusion - especially with genuine returns.

There are some clothing retailers doing this now and actually as irritating as it is when it happens there return and shipping emails/confirmations and leaflets etc. all make it really clear and logical how it will apply. Its no different to the way they say if you order a BOGOF you cannot just return one of the two

I think its more an issue of how its explained and where its explained rather than it causing confusion.
Well that's annoying, I use click and collect so I know the item will be there and I won't have a wasted trip. Wilko stock is pretty sporadic at times (paint colours in particular) so probably just won't bother for some items now and go elsewhere.
Tesco started charging for click and collect, only lasted a year or so then went back to being free.
Must have lost a lot of business.

Wilko went from free for orders over £10 to over £20, picked up my last order 10 days ago.

That will be my last order.
Wilkos is a bricks and mortar store, not an online shop. If you have to pay to shop there, then you might as well pay for delivery and if you are paying for delivery, there are many places that do online shopping better than Wilkos. Their click and collect is fairly in-efficient and certainly not worth paying for.
Gollywood14/08/2019 20:22

I refuse to pay for collect in-store on principal.They're already making …I refuse to pay for collect in-store on principal.They're already making deliveries to their stores. Why should we pay their costs for them?

Walk into the store and buy the items instead of using the website at all then.
Also in a lot of retailers the items are sent specially, nothing to do with the warehouse delivery.
jon81uk15/08/2019 11:57

Walk into the store and buy the items instead of using the website at all …Walk into the store and buy the items instead of using the website at all then.Also in a lot of retailers the items are sent specially, nothing to do with the warehouse delivery.

Not all items are available in-store. Wilko also do online promos not matched in-store
Maybe paying a fee for click & collect might be good for the high street. We've got to pay for the convenience in some way. Sure that fee should be less than a delivery fee etc.. Online business is booming, the high street is on a rapid decline and it doesn't matter what businesses do they'll only survive if they've got an online presence.
Gollywood15/08/2019 12:00

Not all items are available in-store. Wilko also do online promos not …Not all items are available in-store. Wilko also do online promos not matched in-store

Then the delivery fee or click and collect fee applies to order from the wider online selection. If the online promotion including delivery/collection costs is still cheaper than in-store pricing then you are still getting a good deal.
They have put the price of home delivery up too

Walk into the store and buy the items instead of using the website at all …Walk into the store and buy the items instead of using the website at all then.Also in a lot of retailers the items are sent specially, nothing to do with the warehouse delivery.

Unfortunately the stores don't stock a lot of the items. Constant wasted trips
I just found out about this new £2 charge for collect in store. This decision by Wilko has lost me as an online customer. I was about to order a pack of DVD blanks for £5, but if I'm expected to pay an additional £2 to collect them, no thanks, Wilko! Just plain nuts for a company to come up with an idea like this. I shall just use eBay or Amazon even more than usual.

And what if the local branch doesn't have the item in stock? I used to be able to order it, then collect for free a day or two later. Now they expect me to pay £2 to collect an item costing £4? Madness!
HotAddict14/08/2019 22:40

Well that's annoying, I use click and collect so I know the item will be …Well that's annoying, I use click and collect so I know the item will be there and I won't have a wasted trip. Wilko stock is pretty sporadic at times (paint colours in particular) so probably just won't bother for some items now and go elsewhere.

I reckon Wilko will lose a heck of a lot of business due to this ridiculous new collect fee.
AndyRoyd14/08/2019 17:47

Some marketing boffin has an algorithm that states Wilko will make more …Some marketing boffin has an algorithm that states Wilko will make more money by charging for delivery / inducing larger value orders than the revenue lost from multiple low value orders not being placed.

Yes, but the free collection from store meant increased foot-fall IN store. Shoppers typically bunch their purchases so that they don't make a single trip just to collect one item from Wilko. Whenever I've collected an item from Wilko, frequently I'll buy an additional item or two. Toothpaste, perhaps. Or shave gel, or vitamin tablets etc etc.
SuperLittleTyke_.16/08/2019 09:51

I just found out about this new £2 charge for collect in store. This …I just found out about this new £2 charge for collect in store. This decision by Wilko has lost me as an online customer. I was about to order a pack of DVD blanks for £5, but if I'm expected to pay an additional £2 to collect them, no thanks, Wilko! Just plain nuts for a company to come up with an idea like this. I shall just use eBay or Amazon even more than usual.

Amazon would charge £4.49 delivery as its under £20.

Maybe Wilko needs to have a minimum £20/25 to avoid the fee (a lot of places do now, such as Superdrug).

SuperLittleTyke_.16/08/2019 10:04

And what if the local branch doesn't have the item in stock? I used to be …And what if the local branch doesn't have the item in stock? I used to be able to order it, then collect for free a day or two later. Now they expect me to pay £2 to collect an item costing £4? Madness!

Some other retailers give free delivery if you order in-store, maybe this is something they should offer too? If it isn't stocked in store and you order in person then you get free delivery. But they may also need to have a minimum spend as the cost of delivery for a £4 item makes it unsustainable.
Havnt used Wikos for click and collect but I think only be a charge if its below a certain value (or a minimum click and collect order value) and if its not in stock instore. Places like Argos and Currys PC World you can check stock instore and then click and collect. Personally did have one negative experience at wilko about a year ago where I found a wireless usb stick instore took it to the till it came up as 1p and the cashiere refused to sell it to me (I would have beenhappy to pay more for it if necessary) and when I emailed wilcos email they didn't seem to be very helpful either (they seemed to say 1 p items should have been taken off display (so I wasted my time waiting queuing and trying to buy the item (there 1 p policy seems a bit crazy). The wilco's website says up to 4 days for click and collect so perhaps there's a question whether they are having to make a extra delivery to a certain store from there warehouse?. Think retail stores should think about click and collect policies a bit more before they make change for it or risk loosing customers.
Edited by: "thomas58" 17th Aug 2019
I refuse to pay the charge on principle - Wilko hope you are reading this: you have lost me as an regular online click and collect customer. I will no longer order from your website having also recently changed items classed as “add-on” which is very inconsistent. For example, two different types of fish food both weighting 1kg: one is add on item whilst other isn’t. Where is the logic behind that? Wilko, your business is going down the pan! I’m sure you WILL lose many more customers by charging for your click and collect service. Fair enough to charge if sat under a certain amount, but this is uncalled for.
Edited by: "Catfood246" 27th Aug 2019
So I've just gone to order for click and collect and noticed the increase in charge. As previous posters have said - the whole process in their click and collect is poor so how can they justify charging for it? If it is improved then perhaps they can, but I can't see it being any different. Wilko already have "add on items" that can only be added to an order over £20 which is absolutely fair enough. However whilst I was ordering I wanted to add some plastic containers which were not an add on item. I added 1 pack to my basket and it said sorry you have to order a minimum of 4 of these!! This was before I realised the click and collect fee, and already had over £35 worth of items in my basket. Needless to say once I got to checkout I emptied the basket and have now come here to moan! I already have to pay for parking to go and collect items from Wilko, and I understand that it guarantees items are in stock if you click and collect - however I won't be paying £2 to do this if I have to go into store anyway to get it. Obviously this won't make my boycott Wilko completely, but I certainly won't be ordering online anymore.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants