Groups

Will a few drops of tea tree essential oil in a bath or hand wash make the whole thing antibacterial + other benefits?

Will a few drops of tea tree essential oil in a bath or hand wash make the whole thing antibacterial + other benefits?

13 Comments

Original Poster

I'm aware of the benefits of tea tree oil - but will a few little drops make the whole bath antibacterial?!

No. Aside from the validity of if it works the concentration of the tto in the hand wash and particularly in the bath would be very low.

stick some dettol in

Original Poster

peroxidase

No. Aside from the validity of if it works the concentration of the tto … No. Aside from the validity of if it works the concentration of the tto in the hand wash and particularly in the bath would be very low.

Thanks - do you know how concentrated it should be to have any effect?

letslaughadam

Thanks - do you know how concentrated it should be to have any effect?

The wiki page would put me off using it. Natural does not mean safe and harmless. I would not like to offer any dosage suggestions the link in the first post refers to a wide range of percentages for different aliments.

Any soap in antibacterial.

Original Poster

foes4you

Any soap in antibacterial.

The additional properties of tea tree though, red reducing, acne, bacteria killing, fungal fighting etc etc ..

Have you tested yourself and made sure your not allergic to it first?
    Edited by: "joedastudd" 27th Oct 2016

Original Poster

yes I've used it straight a few times, couple of dabs

You could put almost anything in the bath and it will have antibacterial properties, eg lemon, honey, garlic, cabbage etc. But all to a certain extent.

The issue your going to have is you'd need a lot in order to make a whole bath antibacterial.
    An average bath is 80l, a bottle of tree tea oil is normally 50ml, if you used the whole bottled the total bath would only be 0.0625% tea tree oil.
    Most places are recommend at least a 0.4% to be effective so at least ~7 bottles per bath.
    Trouble is at that level your looking at potentially serious health risks.

I'd wager the "a few drops in your bath" are more placebo effect emphasised by the aroma.

Get some mint tea tree body wash that will give you a good antibacterial clean
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Phone "Upgrade"36
      2. Best way to use Tesco club card vouchers?77
      3. I want some backless loafers for men11
      4. I am looking Ryman online discount code33

See more discussions