Will a higher Kw Boiler cost alot more to run?

Posted 4th Mar
Hi all having to replace my boiler and would like a higher power rating for a better flow rate -24Kw vs 36Kw,

However will It cost me much more per day to run? Or will the extra power mean it will run for less time meaning the daily cost would work out the same?

Many thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Google. First result.
theheatinghub.co.uk/boi…ips

Which are the most efficient boilers?

1) Have a low minimum output.
All boilers operate within a range, for example 3-30kW or 8-24kW. The lower the minimum end of the range, the more efficiently the boiler can operate all year round. All of the boilers featured on this page have low minimum outputs

2) Be sized correctly
Most UK homes need just 6-8kW on a very cold day, less the rest of the year, but most boilers are much bigger. It is important that the maximum output of the boiler is reduced by the installer.

3) Be paired with a compensation controls
Modern boilers can vary their output up and down to meet changing temperatures, which is very efficient, but only when paired with a control that speaks the same language. Either go with the manufacurers' own compensation control or opt for a boiler and control that both use the OpenTherm language.

--

Hmm perhaps we shouldn't have had a 40kw boiler installed recently. I wanted a biggie..
4 Comments
I wouldn't have thought so. I'm not an expert, but I would have thought the house & hot water would heat up quicker.

Valid question though. Using a car as an analogy, bigger engines do have greater fuel consumption.
Google. First result.
theheatinghub.co.uk/boi…ips

Which are the most efficient boilers?

1) Have a low minimum output.
All boilers operate within a range, for example 3-30kW or 8-24kW. The lower the minimum end of the range, the more efficiently the boiler can operate all year round. All of the boilers featured on this page have low minimum outputs

2) Be sized correctly
Most UK homes need just 6-8kW on a very cold day, less the rest of the year, but most boilers are much bigger. It is important that the maximum output of the boiler is reduced by the installer.

3) Be paired with a compensation controls
Modern boilers can vary their output up and down to meet changing temperatures, which is very efficient, but only when paired with a control that speaks the same language. Either go with the manufacurers' own compensation control or opt for a boiler and control that both use the OpenTherm language.

--

Hmm perhaps we shouldn't have had a 40kw boiler installed recently. I wanted a biggie..
might be worth while checking the flow rate of your water, you might find you dont get enough pressure to increase the size.
Edited by: "eslick" 4th Mar
smashed04/03/2020 11:29

Google. First …Google. First result.https://www.theheatinghub.co.uk/boiler-efficiency-guide-and-energy-saving-tipsWhich are the most efficient boilers?1) Have a low minimum output.All boilers operate within a range, for example 3-30kW or 8-24kW. The lower the minimum end of the range, the more efficiently the boiler can operate all year round. All of the boilers featured on this page have low minimum outputs2) Be sized correctlyMost UK homes need just 6-8kW on a very cold day, less the rest of the year, but most boilers are much bigger. It is important that the maximum output of the boiler is reduced by the installer.3) Be paired with a compensation controlsModern boilers can vary their output up and down to meet changing temperatures, which is very efficient, but only when paired with a control that speaks the same language. Either go with the manufacurers' own compensation control or opt for a boiler and control that both use the OpenTherm language.--Hmm perhaps we shouldn't have had a 40kw boiler installed recently. I wanted a biggie..

Looks like size doesn't matter.... to get hot or otherwise
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants