Will a PS4 PRO play normal blu ray dvd's?

Posted 18th Dec 2019
A little confused as I've not kept up with technology for a while. I'm not asking if the PS4 PRO will play blu ray 4k dvd's, just will it play standard blu ray? Thanks for any help.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

20 Comments
I believe only the Xbox’s can play the 4K Blu-rays
Yep standard bluray and dvd
iang00718/12/2019 21:19

Yep standard bluray and dvd

Thanks. So, it is able to stream 4k through it then, but not play it?
Yeah some of the services stream 4k it’s fairly limited to be honest. Think it’s just YouTube, Netflix and Iplayer if I remember rightly
Thanks, still trying to decide PS4 PRO or XBOX ONE X.
To be honest if your wanting 4k streaming I’d use the smart tv if you have one it’s much less clunky.
Ciderer18/12/2019 21:23

A little confused... "blu ray 4k dvd's"

Yes, you sound like you are.
fanpages18/12/2019 21:57

Yes, you sound like you are.

That's what happens when you don't bother keeping up with the latest technology. Last time I purchased up to date technology was a Panasonic Plasma and I think that was around 2007. I only buy things when they become obsolete or break not for the sake of. I am still using an old laptop with windows 7 and will be replacing next year only because it will struggle with windows 10.
What you wanting a ps4 for? Gaming or playing blu-ray films? I'd buy an Xbox One S if you want to just play films and stream
Yes.
Ciderer18/12/2019 21:31

Get whichever console your friends have so that you can play online with them (if that is something that is important to you).
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 19th Dec 2019
Ps4 can play 3d Blu Ray too.
The only thing I would bear in mind is that all the reports of the xbox one s 4k bluray say its poor quality. Not sure about the xbox one x - and the PS5 is out next year too
Toon_army18/12/2019 23:14

What you wanting a ps4 for? Gaming or playing blu-ray films? I'd buy an …What you wanting a ps4 for? Gaming or playing blu-ray films? I'd buy an Xbox One S if you want to just play films and stream

Gaming mostly but the odd film here and there. Not too keen on Xbox One S because you can't play old xbox discs which are cheap as chips. I prefer game play over graphics too. I do have to do more research but itching to get back to gaming.
iang00719/12/2019 10:46

The only thing I would bear in mind is that all the reports of the xbox …The only thing I would bear in mind is that all the reports of the xbox one s 4k bluray say its poor quality. Not sure about the xbox one x - and the PS5 is out next year too

PS5 will definitely have a 4K blu ray ability, I think that's why they have held back having it on the latest PS4 PRO. I just don't have a great deal to spend on a new PS5 next year, I already know that so trying to sort out best option now between PS4 PRO and Xbox One X. I like the fact that PS4 PRO has such a good amount of games but at the same time like the backwards ability of the Xbox One X. Not overly concerned with playing 4K blu ray but is nice to have. I'm guessing if you play too much 4K blu ray through any console it will not help the longevity of the machine.
Ciderer19/12/2019 12:44

Gaming mostly but the odd film here and there. Not too keen on Xbox One S …Gaming mostly but the odd film here and there. Not too keen on Xbox One S because you can't play old xbox discs which are cheap as chips. I prefer game play over graphics too. I do have to do more research but itching to get back to gaming.

My mate plays backwards compatible games on his Xbox one S?
Toon_army19/12/2019 12:55

My mate plays backwards compatible games on his Xbox one S?

I didn't know you could, how does that work then?
Ciderer19/12/2019 12:59

I didn't know you could, how does that work then?

Basically, if you own any of the games on the list at xbox.com/en-…ity - shove the disk in the drive, and a XBox One compatible version of the game will download. In some cases, they will also have been updated to better graphics, especially if it's a One X.

If you bought a digital copy, it would also show up in your catalogue.
Edited by: "alg" 19th Dec 2019
Thanks for that.
Ciderer18/12/2019 21:31

Buy Whatever most of your friends have if not buy ps4 pro
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions