Will an old ADSL modem still work on my fibre optic broadband if my fibre broadband ever fails.

Found 22nd Feb 2015
I'm on 38mb fibre optic broadband (with EE) and using the new Brightbox 2. I also still have my old Brightbox 1 ADSL modem.
Does anyone know if I could still plug my old ADSL Brightbox 1 if I ever had a failure of my Brightbox 2?
I know I won't get the same speed but Just want to know if it will work in cases of an emergency.
Thanks in advance for all replies.
Community Updates
AskBroadbandRouter
5 Comments
if the old bright box 1 supports VDSL, then yes...

but I don't think it does
Short answer is no. They are different technologies. The brightbox 2 is compatible with vdsl and adsl, whereas the brightbox 1 is only adsl.
The Brightbox 1 kind of supports VDSL by using a BT Openreach VDSL modem.
But on it's own, it does not.
Anyone had any experience at using an ADSL modem while they were sorting out a problem with the VDSL?
deathtrap3000

Short answer is no. They are different technologies. The brightbox 2 is … Short answer is no. They are different technologies. The brightbox 2 is compatible with vdsl and adsl, whereas the brightbox 1 is only adsl.

Thanks Deathtrap. Are you saying that the ADSL signal is switched off when the VDSL signal is turned on?
Basically, yes but you need a BT Openreach Modem in order to use the Brightbox 1 with EE fibre. The Brightbox 2 already has the technology built in.

I had the Brightbox 1 with the modem on EE fibre before the Brightbox 2 came out and then upgraded to the 2 when EE released it (phoned them up and asked for it). I don't recall there being a massive increase in speed but the new router was slightly quicker with most of my devices (think that was due to it having the latest wireless though).
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants