Will Argos give me a refund?

Found 22nd Aug 2012
I bought a laptop yesterday from Argos but I've seen a deal on here this morning and want that one instead. When I bought it the woman on the till said it was exempt from the 30 day money back guarantee, but it is still sealed and not even been out of the bag. Will it still be exempt? The security seal is intact on the box.
Community Updates
Misc
44 Comments
What has changed since yesterday that voids what you were told less than 24 hours ago?
Original Poster
thesaint

What has changed since yesterday that voids what you were told less than … What has changed since yesterday that voids what you were told less than 24 hours ago?

A better deal!
What I meant was, does the exemption include products that are still sealed? (_;)
If it is sealed they will most likely refund you
Kick up a fuss, if not speak to the store manager. Argos are proud of their high level of customer service. I'm sure they will.
Here is how, if you dont fancy risking it and want a cast iron refund

Make sure you reserve all the stock from your nearest stores (very important) take the laptop back with a fault, tell them it keeps shorting out after a hour (something they can not check basically)

They will offer you a replacement, see there is no stock, you tell them you will take a refund.... it works everytime.

your welcome
Original Poster
Aeschylus

Here is how, if you dont fancy risking it and want a cast iron refundMake … Here is how, if you dont fancy risking it and want a cast iron refundMake sure you reserve all the stock from your nearest stores (very important) take the laptop back with a fault, tell them it keeps shorting out after a hour (something they can not check basically)They will offer you a replacement, see there is no stock, you tell them you will take a refund.... it works everytime.your welcome

This made me giggle, you sound like an expert X)
hellbentondeals

This made me giggle, you sound like an expert X)

I once had a bad experience at Argos and ever since then I dont mess around, I put them in a position where they can not refuse a refund, you only need that one day where some idiot is behind the counter who is having a bad day, as yours is still sealed you could try just returning it, but in truth you are at the mercy of the manager, but if you invoke your statuary rights they dont have a choice

Edited by: "Aeschylus" 22nd Aug 2012
Banned
Aeschylus

Here is how, if you dont fancy risking it and want a cast iron refundMake … Here is how, if you dont fancy risking it and want a cast iron refundMake sure you reserve all the stock from your nearest stores (very important) take the laptop back with a fault, tell them it keeps shorting out after a hour (something they can not check basically)They will offer you a replacement, see there is no stock, you tell them you will take a refund.... it works everytime.your welcome

but it is sealed and never been out of the box
Banned
Googles "exempt"
Original Poster
dimebars

Googles "exempt"

What is this 'Google' you speak of? oO
aslong as it hasnt been booted and the OS installed it shouldnt be a problem... just take it back and make up a story like it was a birthday present but you got your wires crossed and somebody else bought the same... only thing is they may only give you a credit note for argos and not cash!!
and after reading what you actualy get with the one from pc world in there supposed welcome pack i wouldnt even bother its a load of crap!!
i had a very similar experience with an ipad..thought its argos of course theyll give me a refund ....they were having none of it tried 3 stores with 3 different stories ....not a sniff in any of them......
It is store discretion, or should I say manager discretion, I have had issues in the past with things like this and it has been a little bit of a fight!

Will Argos give me a refund?

Why don't you ask them
Original Poster
mikebyrne338

and after reading what you actualy get with the one from pc world in … and after reading what you actualy get with the one from pc world in there supposed welcome pack i wouldnt even bother its a load of crap!!

Its not the welcome pack Im interested in. I had a feeling it wouldn't be up to much, these things never usually are. The fact I can get the one at PC world for an extra £50 after the cash back thing is what really changed my mind. The spec is better and I would be trading the Intel B950 processor for an i5. Definitely worth the extra!
Original Poster
Dantooine

Why don't you ask them

I have phoned customer service this morning and the woman on the phone was helpful. She said she couldn't see it being a problem, but like others on here she also said it would be at the discretion of the store manager.
jonny619447

Kick up a fuss, if not speak to the store manager. Argos are proud of … Kick up a fuss, if not speak to the store manager. Argos are proud of their high level of customer service. I'm sure they will.

LOL. I really hope that's a joke? Argos customer service is *awful* in my experiences lately.

They probably wont give you a refund, don't bother phoning they either wont answer or will fob you off. I don't understand how they can get away with the no returns policy.

You should just go in ask to speak to the manager and say you weren't told that it was exempt from the returns policy and throw a wobly. They'll soon try and keep you quiet. Unfortunately Argos bring this upon themselves.
JamesClark1991

LOL. I really hope that's a joke? Argos customer service is *awful* in … LOL. I really hope that's a joke? Argos customer service is *awful* in my experiences lately.They probably wont give you a refund, don't bother phoning they either wont answer or will fob you off. I don't understand how they can get away with the no returns policy.You should just go in ask to speak to the manager and say you weren't told that it was exempt from the returns policy and throw a wobly. They'll soon try and keep you quiet. Unfortunately Argos bring this upon themselves.

Thing is, not many computer companies will refund a laptop once opened, if it is all still sealed then you may be in with a chance, I actually believe you are covered under the SOGA for 'accepting' the product, when you haven't even opened it then I doubt you have accepted it!
Dantooine

Why don't you ask them

Radical advice oO

Another good one is to send a woman in, works a treat!
Banned
I lone things all the time from argos, Not much point in buying something you only need to use once

I never have a problem with returning
Some very dishonest people here...How do guys sleep by doing this?

I think they will refund you without going into dodgy stuff..it's sealed box so you will have 7 days change of mind policy.
Grow a pair.
Go into the store.
Take a deep breath.
Ask for a refund.

Edited by: "gizmouk" 22nd Aug 2012
yy126962

Some very dishonest people here...How do guys sleep by doing this?

Probably very well... on a different mattress every week (_;)
Banned
7 days change of mind policy

WTF??!!
yy126962

Some very dishonest people here...How do guys sleep by doing this?I think … Some very dishonest people here...How do guys sleep by doing this?I think they will refund you without going into dodgy stuff..it's sealed box so you will have 7 days change of mind policy.

Lol 7 days change of mind!!

I sleep perfectly well, oh OP, if they refuse to take it back, zap the RAM on a gas cooker and then take it back.
yy126962

Some very dishonest people here...How do guys sleep by doing this?I think … Some very dishonest people here...How do guys sleep by doing this?I think they will refund you without going into dodgy stuff..it's sealed box so you will have 7 days change of mind policy.

unfortunately very soundly.
it is sad but there are plenty of dishonest people around.
dimebars

7 days change of mind policyWTF??!!

new consumer trading law. are you not aware of this? X)
mutley1

unfortunately very soundly. :(it is sad but there are plenty of … unfortunately very soundly. :(it is sad but there are plenty of dishonest people around.

There are dishonest people, but there are also companies that take advantage of customers, poor service etc, so who cares.
JamesClark1991

LOL. I really hope that's a joke? Argos customer service is *awful* in … LOL. I really hope that's a joke? Argos customer service is *awful* in my experiences lately.They probably wont give you a refund, don't bother phoning they either wont answer or will fob you off. I don't understand how they can get away with the no returns policy.You should just go in ask to speak to the manager and say you weren't told that it was exempt from the returns policy and throw a wobly. They'll soon try and keep you quiet. Unfortunately Argos bring this upon themselves.

Argos imo have the second best customer service of any retailer I have been involved with behind the kings of customer service themselves... Amazon.
yy126962

Thundercats avatar. lol.
Check the specs for laptop on Argos site and hope something is not as they say and take back as not what was advertised. Normally they get the specs wrong e.g look where they tell you it's got a spin speed of 1600rpm.
jonny619447

Argos imo have the second best customer service of any retailer I have … Argos imo have the second best customer service of any retailer I have been involved with behind the kings of customer service themselves... Amazon.

No way, one of the worst which is why I never buy anything which is out of the normal guarantee.
Banned
yy126962

If you only knew the half of it lol
Original Poster
aircanman

Another good one is to send a woman in, works a treat!

I am a woman! oO
Yeh, it does work sometimes, but my local Argos seems to employ a lot of 'feisty', (a nice way of putting it), 'ladies'.
But on a good note, just got back from Argos where I had no problem what-so-ever! Young lad on the till and a young (male) manager too. Men are just too easy
hellbentondeals

I am a woman! oO Yeh, it does work sometimes, but my local Argos seems to … I am a woman! oO Yeh, it does work sometimes, but my local Argos seems to employ a lot of 'feisty', (a nice way of putting it), 'ladies'.But on a good note, just got back from Argos where I had no problem what-so-ever! Young lad on the till and a young (male) manager too. Men are just too easy

Superb result!
Aeschylus

but in truth you are at the mercy of the manager, but if you invoke your … but in truth you are at the mercy of the manager, but if you invoke your statuary rights they dont have a choice

You don't have any statutory rights to a refund on a change-of-mind, bought in-store, sealed or otherwise.
aircanman

There are dishonest people, but there are also companies that take … There are dishonest people, but there are also companies that take advantage of customers, poor service etc, so who cares.

I don't mind a lie here and a lie there. we all have to do it to get anywhere in this world but I draw the line at ripping someone off or taking advantage of them.

There are many people and companies doing many things but that don't mean you have to join them.

There are people who kill others, that don't mean I should join them and kill you. X)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants