Found 29th Oct 2009
Do you think Blu-ray will replace DVD in the end?

I've found that some places like HMV charge up to £33 for some Blu-ray's like Australia (for some reason??? lol) but the same film is only £15 on DVD.

Play.com has Blue-rays cheaper but do you think they'll ever been as cheap as DVD so all can enjoy and then replace DVD.

What do you think?

69 Comments

I think it will. Prices for DVD's are dropping like flies at the moment. I think big DVD companies expect that too. The same way DVD's replaced videos, with the price of Video's dropping then, not being able to buy them at all!

its like everything it will start to come down in price but i dont think dvd will die out

Will they become cheaper - yes
Will they replace DVD - more than likely, yes, eventually. Or some other derivative that might come out in the near future.

Banned

Streaming is the way forward according to Microsoft and Spotify

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but sort of on a similar line. I haven't much experience of Blue-ray yet so bear with me...

Firstly is there a massive difference between a recent DVd and Blue-ray showing the same movie on say a 40in TV?

Secondly is it worth buying these old fims and documentaries on Blue-ray? E.g Some of these films and concerts etc. recorded in 1968, or even 1988, are they any better on blu-ray then what they would have been 'remastered for DVD' 5 years ago?

It will be a slow take-over but it will yes, DVD won't be around forever, there is always a technology that will replace a current technology, DVD technology is currently very old and will get phased out, such as what has already happened with PS3 games. (From DVD to Blu-Ray)
With DVD prices now being so low, companies won't be making as much money as they would prefer if they released DVD's, while they should be enjoying higher profits with Blu-Ray,
This should advance to companies eventually releasing solely on Blu-Ray to achieve high profits

BlackCloud;6724825

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but sort of on a similar line. I … I don't mean to hijack the thread, but sort of on a similar line. I haven't much experience of Blue-ray yet so bear with me...Firstly is there a massive difference between a recent DVd and Blue-ray showing the same movie on say a 40in TV?Secondly is it worth buying these old fims and documentaries on Blue-ray? E.g Some of these films and concerts etc. recorded in 1968, or even 1988, are they any better on blu-ray then what they would have been 'remastered for DVD' 5 years ago?

I've just watched the same movie on dvd and then BR and there was a massive difference, but that was a new release.

For older stuff there's a trade off, I've never seen that much difference between the two.

I wanna know when they will make virtual film experiences, where you are the main protagonist and you affect the films ending, holographic TVs and films come on solid state HDDs.......and superman crystals...........

I'm annoyed at variety of transfer for Blu ray at least with DVD you know what your getting!

Banned

Nope blu ray will be obsolete in a couple of years, everything will be downloaded in high def via the internet. Movies will go the same way music has gone

sculpturatus;6724954

Nope blu ray will be obsolete in a couple of years, everything will be … Nope blu ray will be obsolete in a couple of years, everything will be downloaded in high def via the internet. Movies will go the same way music has gone

So what about the people who don't use the internet? they then wouldn't be able to watch movies

whatsThePoint;6725027

If they can't afford the internet they can't afford Bluray or DVD's … If they can't afford the internet they can't afford Bluray or DVD's either :thinking:

My grandparents have a huge collection of movies on DVD..... can't really see them wanting to sit there waiting for one to download from the net though, especially seeing as they haven't even got a computer :?

I think a combination of Blu Ray and downloads will replace DVD, but not one of the two on their own.

Perhaps the next generation of tv's will be internet compatible / conectable and you stream direct to your tv.

Is that a dragon's den moment?

Midlandscomics, they won't download it just stream it live, why else would the isp'd be going to 50meg download speed?

streaming will be the way forward, but we will need a massive upgrade in speeds because netflix are doing it in the usa, but the current speeds don't give a true bluray showing. like someone mentioned, it will be like music, but there will still be a demand for dvd or just bluray discs because some people want to own the physical product, just like cd's.

Banned

sculpturatus;6724954

Nope blu ray will be obsolete in a couple of years, everything will be … Nope blu ray will be obsolete in a couple of years, everything will be downloaded in high def via the internet. Movies will go the same way music has gone

no chance imo.

blu-ray 250GB tdk disks will be out in a year I reckon (work on ps3s too!).

cant see people wanting to download & store 250GB of data

the portability of BR disks will keep them mainstream for a long while yet

dvds will always be around alongside blu-rays I reckon cos BR players play dvds too.

whatsThePoint;6725027

If they can't afford the internet they can't afford Bluray or DVD's … If they can't afford the internet they can't afford Bluray or DVD's either :thinking:

Well the Blu-Ray's/DVD's are bought only one time, whereas internet is a monthly contract, unless you use a Pay as You Go 3g line, which is expensive
So say you buy one movie a month, it's a lot cheaper than an internet connection

midlandscomics;6725058

My grandparents have a huge collection of movies on DVD..... can't really … My grandparents have a huge collection of movies on DVD..... can't really see them wanting to sit there waiting for one to download from the net though, especially seeing as they haven't even got a computer :?I think a combination of Blu Ray and downloads will replace DVD, but not one of the two on their own.

Correct
I also know someone who hasn't got a phone line so therefore doesn't have internet, but has a few DVD's

Banned

whatsThePoint;6725027

what an ignorant statement! :whistling:

I dont even have to clarify why.

greg_68;6725087

Perhaps the next generation of tv's will be internet compatible / … Perhaps the next generation of tv's will be internet compatible / conectable and you stream direct to your tv.Is that a dragon's den moment?Midlandscomics, they won't download it just stream it live, why else would the isp'd be going to 50meg download speed?

So that would mean you would have to be purchasing the movie from a company such as Sky TV etc, and they can put expensive prices from low competition and therefore the discs would be cheaper and everyone wont download

Banned

greg_68;6725087

Perhaps the next generation of tv's will be internet compatible / … Perhaps the next generation of tv's will be internet compatible / conectable and you stream direct to your tv.Is that a dragon's den moment?Midlandscomics, they won't download it just stream it live, why else would the isp'd be going to 50meg download speed?

isnt this exactly what virgin do already with their movies on demand service. Select a film and it starts immediately and you can pause it etc.

if i buy a film its mine to keep, end

Another thing that nobody has mentioned yet, is that you can't sell or trade the movie if it's downloaded.
With a disc you can sell or trade it after you used it

I doubt it will in the next few years, at least 10 years IMO because as people often say blu ray isnt as huge a hike as VHS to dvd was, both DVD and Blu Ray are digital and high quality, whereas video was analog and not rgb compatable and of a far lower quality.

With Blu Ray its just an improvement over an already good quality.

csiman;6725264

isnt this exactly what virgin do already with their movies on demand … isnt this exactly what virgin do already with their movies on demand service. Select a film and it starts immediately and you can pause it etc.

Yeah in a way, but I wondered whether the next generation tv's will have direct internet accessabilty built in so you can hook your tv up to the phone line and stream from wherever then.

Carley;6726323

but downloads will become much cheaper than buying outright so not an … but downloads will become much cheaper than buying outright so not an issue.cd singles on CD cost in the region of £3-£4? but digital copies cost between £0.29 - £0.99

I can guarantee that downloadable movies won't be those kind of prices.
For example Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End cost $300 Million to produce, would they then really sell a copy for say 50p? if that was the case then it would take about 360 million sales just to break even!
Companies will milk this "Convenience"

Digital downloads dont work at the moment. They have a long way to go before it becomes worth it.

3 things holding it back.
Download speed
Hard drive space
Hard drive cost

I still prefer pal dvds @25fps. BR and HDDVD just don't move correct regardless of 24fps hdtv compensation

At the cinema they sometimes look OK though @24fps

why do downloads have to be from broadband lol, wouldn't it be innovative if, for example you could go to a HMV with a memory stick and purchase a film/album and have it transferred to your memory stick there and then??????

sorted

i think blu-ray will be replaced soon enough by a new format...the days of physicall media are at an end embrace online content!

Banned

SOSAGES;6732570

i think blu-ray will be replaced soon enough by a new format...the days … i think blu-ray will be replaced soon enough by a new format...the days of physicall media are at an end embrace online content!

you ever tried downloading 50GB :w00t:

its fine if you have a 50mb connection and dont mind waiting a day but if we were all doing it, then the networks wouldnt cope:w00t:

SOSAGES;6732570

i think blu-ray will be replaced soon enough by a new format...the days … i think blu-ray will be replaced soon enough by a new format...the days of physicall media are at an end embrace online content!

csiman;6732611

you ever tried downloading 50GB :w00t:its fine if you have a 50mb … you ever tried downloading 50GB :w00t:its fine if you have a 50mb connection and dont mind waiting a day but if we were all doing it, then the networks wouldnt cope:w00t:

did either of you read my post!?!?

:roll:

SOSAGES;6732570

No.

I can't, DSL speed is too bad as is most of UK speed.

It's nonsense to suggest with the current infrastructure that hd content is feasible over BT network and cable is never going to be enabled for all of country. A new tech could see it happen but where is it ?

I will always prefer to buy my games on disc, DVD on disc, music on CD instead of rubbish MP3 (lol @ digital download marketed as if it's quality)

Mp3 as a technology is neat for certain devices and with at least a minimum bitrate of192kbps. I prefer 320Kbps maybe inbetween @ 256Kbps and a few of my devices will play other formats and free bitrate(Kbps) Mp3's.

I want my goods to be visible, goods I can handle to interact with.

Banned

Alfonse;6732624

did either of you read my post!?!? :roll:

no, i generally ignore your posts :-D

csiman;6732721

no, i generally ignore your posts :-D

damn you kropotkin :oops:

No way will dvd's be replaced anytime soon. Blu-rays are still outrageously expensive.

Alfonse;6732298

why do downloads have to be from broadband lol, wouldn't it be innovative … why do downloads have to be from broadband lol, wouldn't it be innovative if, for example you could go to a HMV with a memory stick and purchase a film/album and have it transferred to your memory stick there and then??????sorted

I never read you post till your next post where you ask if either of the other 2 read your post and as such.

Not everyone can travel to hmv. It's not new idea. Nintendo and a few other companies ventured into this and tried this with games years ago. Did not work then. Now in 2009 tecnology has moved forward as it should but the format for download will be nowhere near as good as when stored on proper media as you won't be downloading at present in HMV a BR on USB for eg , DRM will also work against this for starters. There are a few usb pens out there pre loaded with movies and it's a good idea for what they are a lesser quality visual experience than the 9.8mbps* of an MPEG2 stream on dvd.

Things do move on but I would like to keep hold of my media for now until I can get at least 100 meg a second

dontasciime;6732826

I never read you post till your next post where you ask if either of the … I never read you post till your next post where you ask if either of the other 2 read your post and as such.Not everyone can travel to hmv. It's not new idea. Nintendo and a few other companies ventured into this and tried this with games years ago. Did not work then. Now in 2009 tecnology has moved forward as it should but the format for download will be nowhere near as good as when stored on proper media as you won't be downloading at present in HMV a BR on USB for eg , DRM will also work against this for starters. There are a few usb pens out there pre loaded with movies and it's a good idea for what they are a lesser quality visual experience than the 9.8mbps* of an MPEG2 stream on dvd.Things do move on but I would like to keep hold of my media for now until I can get at least 100 meg a second

the travel issue is complete nonsense, if you are inferring that people won't leave the house because they have broadband then OMG!

the data is still digitally stored on the discs and a 1:1 ratio movement onto a memory storage device is not really difficult at all, since solid state HDDs are now becoming rapidly available and super damn quick, i know I have 2. simples

Streaming is the way forward.

Hi Def stream needs about 7MBPS to run smoothly.

I wouldnt say the tvs themselves will be internet ready but the set top boxs might, BT are looking into HD streaming which will now be possible as half of homes will have fibre BB by 2012. Meaning you can have 3 or 4 HD streams going on in the house at the same time

midlandscomics;6725058

My grandparents have a huge collection of movies on DVD..... can't really … My grandparents have a huge collection of movies on DVD..... can't really see them wanting to sit there waiting for one to download from the net though, especially seeing as they haven't even got a computer :?I think a combination of Blu Ray and downloads will replace DVD, but not one of the two on their own.

Internet will never replace the disc/tangable items:) Not in this country anyway.

Alfonse;6732883

the travel issue is complete nonsense, if you are inferring that people … the travel issue is complete nonsense, if you are inferring that people won't leave the house because they have broadband then OMG!the data is still digitally stored on the discs and a 1:1 ratio movement onto a memory storage device is not really difficult at all, since solid state HDDs are now becoming rapidly available and super damn quick, i know I have 2. simples

You cannot get a full br onto a flash pen at any retail store at minute that I know of and flash pens purchased with movies preinstalled on at minute viewed on a 42"" look horrid because of the codec being used. They are progressing far with codecs/ size V's quality but how does that saying go, you cannot make a silk purse from ..... when flash memory is still too pricey.

Only 2

you only need 4.5 meg a second sustained for Hd > Br but at least 23.28 gig to store 1 hour 30 of hd br material so storage cost V's speed applies how much is a 23.28 gig flash pen at present ? £40 then the price of the br movie on it. Don't think many will take up that offer.

:lol and no the travel issue was an able bodied oreintated remark. Not everyone has a car or is fit enough to use public transport

Starr;6733134

Streaming is the way forward.Hi Def stream needs about 7MBPS to run … Streaming is the way forward.Hi Def stream needs about 7MBPS to run smoothly.I wouldnt say the tvs themselves will be internet ready but the set top boxs might, BT are looking into HD streaming which will now be possible as half of homes will have fibre BB by 2012. Meaning you can have 3 or 4 HD streams going on in the house at the same time

When they can't even stop crackling on a line for voice then there really is no hope of a technological future.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Aliexpress - To be trusted?58
    2. Tablet recommendation ror 5yr old- ideally with a stylus22
    3. Incorrect Amazon refunds - how can I make sure they don't owe me any more m…819
    4. Driving anxiety.2738

See more discussions