Will cex buy a Japanese import dslr?

Posted 11th Nov
Hi, as the title says. Thought I'd better find out before going down there tomorrow.

Thanks for any help.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
If only there was a way of remotely speaking to them in the morning to ask.
22 Comments
Is the menu language Japanese only?
Yes, I would think so. It's not as if it's going to be region-locked to only take pictures in a certain country. Things like cameras and lenses are universal anyway, the only difference might be the plug on the charger, but go ahead and call in to a branch to see what they say.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 11th Nov
Haircut_10011/11/2019 18:52

Yes, I would think so. It's not as if it's going to be region-locked to …Yes, I would think so. It's not as if it's going to be region-locked to only take pictures in a certain country. Things like cameras and lenses are universal anyway, the only difference might be the plug on the charger, but go ahead and call in to a branch to see what they say.

Thank you.
Babbabooey11/11/2019 18:27

Yes that is true. I've got a disability which means I can't phone them. I know I can get someone else to phone them for me but I just thought that someone on here would know.

Oh and I was planning on going down as soon as they opened so they wouldn't be there to answer the phone
Edited by: "mackenzie" 11th Nov
Haircut_10011/11/2019 18:52

Yes, I would think so. It's not as if it's going to be region-locked to …Yes, I would think so. It's not as if it's going to be region-locked to only take pictures in a certain country. Things like cameras and lenses are universal anyway, the only difference might be the plug on the charger, but go ahead and call in to a branch to see what they say.

You will find many Japanese cameras have 2 variants, one for Japan, and the other for international. The Japanese variant normally only has Japanese language on menus and is usually cheaper to buy in Japan.
Edited by: "OllieSt" 11th Nov
OllieSt11/11/2019 20:16

You will find many Japanese cameras have 2 variants, one for Japan, and …You will find many Japanese cameras have 2 variants, one for Japan, and the other for international. The Japanese variant normally only has Japanese language on menus and is usually cheaper.

I must have the international version then. Thanks for your help.
mackenzie11/11/2019 20:21

I must have the international version then. Thanks for your help.

I don't think it applies to every single camera, but when I was in Tokyo I was frustrated by all the good camera deals available for Japanese only market alongside the Eng menu variant that was the same price or more expensive than available here.
If it's in their website/system they will buy it
Canon give the Japanese and EU cameras different model names (or they used to at least) so it might not show up on cex's system, they may reject or offer less.
OllieSt11/11/2019 20:16

You will find many Japanese cameras have 2 variants, one for Japan, and …You will find many Japanese cameras have 2 variants, one for Japan, and the other for international. The Japanese variant normally only has Japanese language on menus and is usually cheaper to buy in Japan.

Just as an aside, if it's only the language in the menus that if the difference between the Japanese and the International versions, would it not be theoretically possibly to change a Japanese one in to an International one via a firmware update?
Haircut_10011/11/2019 21:34

Just as an aside, if it's only the language in the menus that if the …Just as an aside, if it's only the language in the menus that if the difference between the Japanese and the International versions, would it not be theoretically possibly to change a Japanese one in to an International one via a firmware update?

Certain Japanese only cameras have Japanese, English and Chinese language options (as against around 25 lang options on international versions), some have Japanese only. You then have to look at each manufacturer's warranty to ensure it's worldwide etc. My research on the cameras I looked at indicated that firmware updates didn't alter the language choices. In the end I was just happy to look and not buy in places like Yodobashi Camera.
dcx_badass11/11/2019 21:23

Canon give the Japanese and EU cameras different model names (or they used …Canon give the Japanese and EU cameras different model names (or they used to at least) so it might not show up on cex's system, they may reject or offer less.

The model name is the same as it is in the UK. It's the Nikon D5200.
OllieSt11/11/2019 21:55

Certain Japanese only cameras have Japanese, English and Chinese language …Certain Japanese only cameras have Japanese, English and Chinese language options (as against around 25 lang options on international versions), some have Japanese only. You then have to look at each manufacturer's warranty to ensure it's worldwide etc. My research on the cameras I looked at indicated that firmware updates didn't alter the language choices. In the end I was just happy to look and not buy in places like Yodobashi Camera.

Just checked and it's not the international version. The only languages available are English and Japanese.
mackenzie11/11/2019 22:07

Just checked and it's not the international version. The only languages …Just checked and it's not the international version. The only languages available are English and Japanese.

What plug have you got on your battery charger, a UK one or some kind of overseas one? Because if it's got a UK plug, English language menus, and a model number that is D5200 then it's essentially the UK camera for all intents and purposes isn't it. I don't think your average CEX employee is going to be studying it in too much detail.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 11th Nov
Haircut_10011/11/2019 22:13

What plug have you got on your battery charger, a UK one or some kind of …What plug have you got on your battery charger, a UK one or some kind of overseas one? Because if it's got a UK plug, English language menus, and a model number that is D5200 then it's essentially the UK camera for all intents and purposes isn't it. I don't think your average CEX employee is going to be studying it in too much detail.

It's a 2 pin plug. It came with a UK plug adapter.
I think it needs the CE logo or they won’t touch it, but hopefully I’m wrong.
mackenzie11/11/2019 22:22

It's a 2 pin plug. It came with a UK plug adapter.

What is the model number of the battery charger (ie MH-24)? It could be easier to just hold off taking it to CEX for a few days and instead just order a cheap figure 8 replacement lead for a couple of quid from Amazon or Wilkinsons to replace the lead with the 2 pin plug. That should work and then CEX would just see it as a normal UK camera, no problems.
It's MH-24. That's a good idea. Thanks.
mackenzie11/11/2019 22:30

It's MH-24. That's a good idea. Thanks.

Here you go, just grab one of these for £1.99 from this UK eBay seller.
ebay.co.uk/itm…Mwq

I've had a look at the charger for one of my Nikon cameras (a MH-18 charger for my D300s) and it looks exactly the same as the U.S version on Amzon.com apart from the plug on the detachable lead. If you've got something like a radio at home or a PS3 console then you might have a spare one already that you could grab for now so that you could take in your camera to CEX tomoroow and then just replace the lead you took at a later date.
Haircut_10011/11/2019 22:49

Here you go, just grab one of these for £1.99 from this UK eBay …Here you go, just grab one of these for £1.99 from this UK eBay seller.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1m-Figure-Fig-8-Mains-POWER-CABLE-LEAD-Philips-LCD-P2/392021157024?hash=item5b464824a0:g:254AAOSwP25a1MwqI've had a look at the charger for one of my Nikon cameras (a MH-18 charger for my D300s) and it looks exactly the same as the U.S version on Amzon.com apart from the plug on the detachable lead. If you've got something like a radio at home or a PS3 console then you might have a spare one already that you could grab for now so that you could take in your camera to CEX tomoroow and then just replace the lead you took at a later date.

Thank you. You've been really helpful
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions