Expired

Will I get a parking ticket for stopping over a drop kerb?

Found 30th Nov 2013
I was dropping a friend home last night (around midnight) and sat in the car with the lights and engine running outside his house. We normally have a chat and a laugh in the car before he goes so I was sat there for about ten minutes.

After a short while a car pulled up behind me with lights on and just stopped. I thought it could be something dodgy so I told my mate to go in to his house and I drove off. He later texted me saying that they hung around for another thirty seconds and drove off.

I was ticketed by a parking enforcer of the council in the same spot about 8 months ago because I was on the kerb while sitting there, but I didn't make the mistake this time, just sat there with my lights on while over a drop kerb that wasn't in use (as it was midnight) for ten minutes, could I be ticketed for this?
Community Updates
AskLondon
26 Comments
Yes you can be.
Serious ? Your council patrol in cars, ticketing people who drop people off and dare to stop near a dropped kerb!

Scandalous....
logie31

Serious ? Your council patrol in cars, ticketing people who drop people … Serious ? Your council patrol in cars, ticketing people who drop people off and dare to stop near a dropped kerb!Scandalous....

Yeah, Bexley Council (Greater London) are a nightmare. I was on a busy road which idiots bomb down where I drop my mate off so I put two wheels on the pavement to mitigate the risk of one of them driving in to me at 60 mph. Council parking officer pulled up behind me, got out, took pictures of my number plates and gave me a ticket at 11pm at night.

I did later learn that I was in the wrong for going on a curb in London so I paid my fine, but still pretty shady going round at all hours to get money from people. Since I was there last night and someone pulled up behind me again I thought it was another one of them...

Found this on the website:

The Council can only take enforcement action against a motorist for … The Council can only take enforcement action against a motorist for parking in front of a single use dropped footway if the resident affected has authorised the Council to do so. Bexley Council will require residents to register their details and this will enable the Council to issue parking tickets to any vehicle parked in front of such a dropped footway (this includes resident’s own vehicles). Single use dropped footways are used by one resident or one business user to enter or exit their driveway.

So assuming they haven't actively registered this I would have an out as it was just a driveway to a house. Still a bloody ridiculous law.

Also, does stopping (with engine/lights/hazards on) count as parking?
Edited by: "CaptainWest" 30th Nov 2013
In Westminster where i work the wardens\enforcer have to get a photo of the offence (ie the car,number plate, etc etc), if you get a ticket ask for photo proof, if they can't give it to you then contest it.
lonegunman01

In Westminster where i work the wardens\enforcer have to get a photo of … In Westminster where i work the wardens\enforcer have to get a photo of the offence (ie the car,number plate, etc etc), if you get a ticket ask for photo proof, if they can't give it to you then contest it.

I'll find out if I get a ticket through. Bexley council's PCN minisite has a section for photo attachments to a case so I can see exactly what they took if any.
Kerb. K E R B.

Mark2111

Kerb. K E R B.

Okay, changed.
I was ticketed by a parking enforcer of the council in the same spot about 8 months ago because I was on the curb while sitting there,

Muppet then aren't you?

Will I get a ticket for doing what I did before? - Fingers crossed!
Kerb. C R A W L I N G.

Just wondering.
Graham1979

I was ticketed by a parking enforcer of the council in the same spot … I was ticketed by a parking enforcer of the council in the same spot about 8 months ago because I was on the kerb while sitting there,Muppet then aren't you?Will I get a ticket for doing what I did before? - Fingers crossed!

Read it, I didn't park on the kerb this time, I was parallel to it on the road this time. My friend's house hasn't moved in that time.
CaptainWest

Okay, changed.

Wow, not only do you get a ridiculous ticket for parking in front of a kerb......... the HUKD spelling enforcers also slam you too!

That's double bad... I feel your pain (_;)
CaptainWest

Then WHY would you get a ticket? You are answering your own question!Read … Then WHY would you get a ticket? You are answering your own question!Read it, I didn't park on the kerb this time, I was parallel to it on the road this time. My friend's house hasn't moved in that time.

logie31

Wow, not only do you get a ridiculous ticket for parking in front of a … Wow, not only do you get a ridiculous ticket for parking in front of a kerb......... the HUKD spelling enforcers also slam you too!That's double bad... I feel your pain (_;)

Heh, I don't think I've ever actually written the word "kerb" before, hence my error!
Graham1979

Because the same scenario where I had a car pull up behind me with lights on in the dead of night, then pulled off thirty seconds after I had gone with seemingly no other reason to be there, plus this from the council website:

The Council can only take enforcement action against a motorist for … The Council can only take enforcement action against a motorist for parking in front of a single use dropped footway if the resident affected has authorised the Council to do so. Bexley Council will require residents to register their details and this will enable the Council to issue parking tickets to any vehicle parked in front of such a dropped footway (this includes resident’s own vehicles). Single use dropped footways are used by one resident or one business user to enter or exit their driveway.

CaptainWest

Heh, I don't think I've ever actually written the word "kerb" before, … Heh, I don't think I've ever actually written the word "kerb" before, hence my error!

Lol, everyone knew what you meant.... what a pathetic, sneaky waste of resources.... it may be grim up North, but we wouldn't stand for that nonsense...
it seems that there are 2 types off dropped kerb

The ones for cyclists and pedestrians and the others 4 vehicle access

You cannot stop by the pedestrian one

But if you were across your mates driveway there should be no offence

sponduli

it seems that there are 2 types off dropped kerbThe ones for cyclists and … it seems that there are 2 types off dropped kerbThe ones for cyclists and pedestrians and the others 4 vehicle accessYou cannot stop by the pedestrian oneBut if you were across your mates driveway there should be no offence

It was the vehicle access one for a private driveway, but it was his next door neighbours' since it was safer to stop there than over his one.

According to the council website if you've given permission to ticket people who park over your drop kerb they can even ticket one of our own vehicles legally.

I guess I've just got to hope they didn't register the drive for ticketing with the council!
surely if a driveway is registered it would have to have a sign on it or those white lines which indicate

otherwise it would probably he considered as entrapment which would be an offence in itself

i think it is true if you are in the vehicle a warden must speak to you before issuing a ticket

sponduli

surely if a driveway is registered it would have to have a sign on it or … surely if a driveway is registered it would have to have a sign on it or those white lines which indicateotherwise it would probably he considered as entrapment which would be an offence in itselfi think it is true if you are in the vehicle a warden must speak to you before issuing a ticket

Here's hoping. They didn't get out of the vehicle so no ticket given nor any pictures taken (hopefully).
looks like u can sleep easy then

This seems over the top. I suppose the best thing is to get a copy of the local traffic regulation document and see what the regulation states. Form a police point of view you were never parked but just stopped (you were still in control of the vehicle), but there are loads of offenses they could do you for (wilful obstruction of the free passage along a highway).

So if the local traffic regulation says 'parked', you never were. I have noticed a few of late using the term 'remain at rest'. That opens up a whole can of worms and I would suggest they would need video evidence (which at night is far more likely than photographic) to get a prosecution otherwise you could get screwed. Queuing at traffic lights, have a ticket. Car reversing into a parking bay (on road) so you have to stop, have a ticket. I think I'd take it to court every time.

I'm having issues with my local council at the moment. They have put pay-and-display parking on the side of the road. When cars are parked you have to wait if cars are coming in the opposite direction as you have to partially go on to the opposite side of the road. So I lodged a complaint as they are an obstruction to the free passage of road users. They sent me back a snotty letter saying their local traffic policy had granted them you put parking bays in the area. They also sent me a copy of the traffic policy.

Now I have sent them a letter with a copy of my letter to the police roads traffic office stating that the council are aiding and abetting the procurement of funds by permitting parking in violation of Section 22 of the Road Traffic Act 1988. They sent a letter back saying they have passed it onto the legal team. I'll await the outcome.

GAVINLEWISHUKD

This seems over the top. I suppose the best thing is to get a copy of the … This seems over the top. I suppose the best thing is to get a copy of the local traffic regulation document and see what the regulation states. Form a police point of view you were never parked but just stopped (you were still in control of the vehicle), but there are loads of offenses they could do you for (wilful obstruction of the free passage along a highway).So if the local traffic regulation says 'parked', you never were. I have noticed a few of late using the term 'remain at rest'. That opens up a whole can of worms and I would suggest they would need video evidence (which at night is far more likely than photographic) to get a prosecution otherwise you could get screwed. Queuing at traffic lights, have a ticket. Car reversing into a parking bay (on road) so you have to stop, have a ticket. I think I'd take it to court every time. I'm having issues with my local council at the moment. They have put pay-and-display parking on the side of the road. When cars are parked you have to wait if cars are coming in the opposite direction as you have to partially go on to the opposite side of the road. So I lodged a complaint as they are an obstruction to the free passage of road users. They sent me back a snotty letter saying their local traffic policy had granted them you put parking bays in the area. They also sent me a copy of the traffic policy. Now I have sent them a letter with a copy of my letter to the police roads traffic office stating that the council are aiding and abetting the procurement of funds by permitting parking in violation of Section 22 of the Road Traffic Act 1988. They sent a letter back saying they have passed it onto the legal team. I'll await the outcome.

Thank you Gavin, that's very useful. I will be fighting anything I do receive in the post tooth and nail (and I will let them know that from the first appeal), but Bexley Council are notoriously awful to deal with. Last time I never received the appeal rejection letter back, which meant that I had missed the additional time to pay at the lower rate. I told them I hadn't got it and they pretty much said "well that's not our problem, you've got to pay the lot now".

Fingers crossed I'm just being paranoid though. Thanks again.
deleted265520
GAVINLEWISHUKD

This seems over the top. I suppose the best thing is to get a copy of the … This seems over the top. I suppose the best thing is to get a copy of the local traffic regulation document and see what the regulation states. Form a police point of view you were never parked but just stopped (you were still in control of the vehicle), but there are loads of offenses they could do you for (wilful obstruction of the free passage along a highway).So if the local traffic regulation says 'parked', you never were. I have noticed a few of late using the term 'remain at rest'. That opens up a whole can of worms and I would suggest they would need video evidence (which at night is far more likely than photographic) to get a prosecution otherwise you could get screwed. Queuing at traffic lights, have a ticket. Car reversing into a parking bay (on road) so you have to stop, have a ticket. I think I'd take it to court every time. I'm having issues with my local council at the moment. They have put pay-and-display parking on the side of the road. When cars are parked you have to wait if cars are coming in the opposite direction as you have to partially go on to the opposite side of the road. So I lodged a complaint as they are an obstruction to the free passage of road users. They sent me back a snotty letter saying their local traffic policy had granted them you put parking bays in the area. They also sent me a copy of the traffic policy. Now I have sent them a letter with a copy of my letter to the police roads traffic office stating that the council are aiding and abetting the procurement of funds by permitting parking in violation of Section 22 of the Road Traffic Act 1988. They sent a letter back saying they have passed it onto the legal team. I'll await the outcome.

Take em to the cleaners Gav
what happened in the end?
faiz786

what happened in the end?

Didn't get anything thankfully!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions