Expired

Will Intel HD integrated graphics support dual monitors?

Found 24th Jul 2013
My friend has just purchased the Dell Inspiron 660, which comes with Integrated graphics (I cannot find exactly what graphics card)
He wants my help finding some monitors so he can run dual monitors, however I've found varying discussions explaining that it wouldn't be possible with an integrated graphics card and he needs to upgrade to discrete.

Does it support dual monitors?
If so, what is the best way to connect them to these ports? 1 vga and 1 HDMI it looks like.

Getting very confused over here

Ports
Back:
(4) USB 3.0, (2) USB 2.0, HDMI, VGA, RJ-45 (10/100/1000 Ethernet), 3-stack audio jacks supporting 5.1 surround sound

Edit: added processor: Intel® Core™ i3-3220 Processor (3.30GHz, 3MB)
Community Updates
AskIntelMonitor
10 Comments
This tool can give you the answer on GPU
CPU-Z
Edited by: "tonyylw" 24th Jul 2013
tonyylw

This tool can give you the answer on GPUCPU-Z

The problem is that he has ordered the computer so it's currently in limbo
Dell Inspiron 600 seems like an old model, are you sure that's correct?

Edit: It's probably the Inspiron 660 desktop with those specs. In which case it's most likely 'Intel HD Graphics 2000 Integrated Graphics'
Edited by: "nelifex" 24th Jul 2013
nelifex

Dell Inspiron 600 seems like an old model, are you sure that's … Dell Inspiron 600 seems like an old model, are you sure that's correct?Edit: It's probably the Inspiron 660 desktop with those specs. In which case it's most likely 'Intel HD Graphics 2000 Integrated Graphics'

Sorry 660, thank you!

Edit: Do you know whether integrated 2000 supports dual monitors?
Edited by: "ediblebob" 24th Jul 2013
ediblebob

Sorry 660, thank you!Edit: Do you know whether integrated 2000 supports … Sorry 660, thank you!Edit: Do you know whether integrated 2000 supports dual monitors?

Apparently the 660 has a VGA and DVI-D ports - seeing as one is analog and one is digital, it'll need an adapter to convert one to the other. In short, it won't necessarily be plug-and-play.
nelifex

Apparently the 660 has a VGA and DVI-D ports - seeing as one is analog … Apparently the 660 has a VGA and DVI-D ports - seeing as one is analog and one is digital, it'll need an adapter to convert one to the other. In short, it won't necessarily be plug-and-play.

Where did you find that information?
That's easy enough to do, but I thought it only had normal VGA and HDMI
Hold the press, you're right, it does say "HDMI connectivity" on the Dell website

Edit: The back of the PC has HDMI and DVI ports - in which case, he won't have any problems!
Edited by: "nelifex" 24th Jul 2013
nelifex

I'm just scouring the internet and I found some people with problems … I'm just scouring the internet and I found some people with problems connecting dualies up to the HD 2000 (example on the Intel boards). I'd personally buy and install a new PCI graphics card in and do away with the kerfuffle (and get better performance)

That's my problem, lots of differing opinions.
I found one answer on dell support explaining it wasn't possible with onboard graphics.
I then contacted Dell chat support and they told me it is definitely possible, I pointed them towards the dell support answer and they have replied after 10 minutes saying:
"Ideally it should work and it requires certain settings , alternatively you can get the USB dock through which you can connect dual monitors witout any issues"
nelifex

Hold the press, you're right, it does say "HDMI connectivity" on the Dell … Hold the press, you're right, it does say "HDMI connectivity" on the Dell websiteEdit: The back of the PC has HDMI and DVI ports - in which case, he won't have any problems!

Okay awesome!
I will go ahead and order 1 VGA, 1 HDMI and a DVI to VGA adapter? or can I just use VGA?

Sorry for all the questions!
ediblebob

Okay awesome!I will go ahead and order 1 VGA, 1 HDMI and a DVI to VGA … Okay awesome!I will go ahead and order 1 VGA, 1 HDMI and a DVI to VGA adapter? or can I just use VGA?Sorry for all the questions!

May as well use the VGA as DVI won't produce greater quality than is already available through VGA
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions