Groups

Will my car be ok to drive??

My cars spring ( suspension coil thing lol) snapped today on my car. I will try and get it booked in a garage this week,though in the mean time will it be ok to drive? Or best not to?

24 Comments

I'm in Rio de Janeiro at the moment, but just logged in to tell you that it's best not to drive your car with your broken suspension.

It worries me that you felt the need to ask this though. I hope a passing policeman sees this thread and suspends your licence.

Ouch!
    Don't drive it until you need to get it to the garage and when you do, drive slower than you would normally.

thats harsh

Without seeing the damage I couldn't say for sure but I can't really see there being any way you could safely drive with a defect like that as you could end up considerably damaging the car if a portion of the suspension collapses entirely.

John

I should add that it won't cost the earth and that these things do happen!
    Good luck

Original Poster

broken suspension? The spring attaches to the suspension does it not? its not the actual suspension?
    Correct me if i am wrong however i dont think i am

I wouldn't drive it, It could

1.Be seriously dangerous.
    2.Could cause even more damage to the car.

It is a rather silly question to ask imo, Common sense should be part of the test.

thesaint;5786905

I'm in Rio de Janeiro at the moment, but just logged in to tell you that … I'm in Rio de Janeiro at the moment, but just logged in to tell you that it's best not to drive your car with your broken suspension. It worries me that you felt the need to ask this though. I hope a passing policeman sees this thread and suspends your licence.

Maybe if we were in Chicago but not in the UK

back to reality:

OP,best not to drive,not worth the risk

pcnutta;5786941

broken suspension? The spring attaches to the suspension does it not? its … broken suspension? The spring attaches to the suspension does it not? its not the actual suspension? Correct me if i am wrong however i dont think i am

Generally two major parts to the suspension.

The sping and the dampers.

Original Poster

I dont have clue about cars. you put petrol in, you top up oil and you drive ( with seatbelt of course)

pcnutta;5786941

broken suspension? The spring attaches to the suspension does it not? its … broken suspension? The spring attaches to the suspension does it not? its not the actual suspension? Correct me if i am wrong however i dont think i am

The suspension is the sum of many components. Can you afford taxi's,as you shouldn't be on the road with or without broken suspension. Serious.

On everything I have said, probably best getting the AA/RAC etc.. in to get the car into the garage. Safer for you and the peeps on the road.

pcnutta;5786941

broken suspension? The spring attaches to the suspension does it not? its … broken suspension? The spring attaches to the suspension does it not? its not the actual suspension?Correct me if i am wrong however i dont think i am

No, the suspension coil is an integral part of the suspension unless you're thinking of something else or you have a hydropneumatic car? The spring is the part that absorbs any bumps coming through the system then the shock absorber dampens the reaction to stop the car bouncing up and down on the springs.

John

Original Poster

boothy;5786970

[/U][/B]Maybe if we were in Chicago but not in the UKOP,best not to … [/U][/B]Maybe if we were in Chicago but not in the UKOP,best not to drive,not worth the risk

Yep, i didnt even bother answering him as its nonsense lol and that is something I know!

Original Poster

Johnmcl7;5786981

No, the suspension coil is an integral part of the suspension unless … No, the suspension coil is an integral part of the suspension unless you're thinking of something else or you have a hydropneumatic car? The spring is the part that dampens any bumps coming through the system then the shock absorber dampens the reaction to stop the car bouncing up and down on the springs.John

Ohhhhhhhhhh right i got you, bloke didnt say that, he said it was the spring. i didnt realise it was linked like that.

Cheers

Appreciate that. wont even drive it to garage.

Original Poster

thesaint;5786979

The suspension is the sum of many components. Can you afford taxi's,as … The suspension is the sum of many components. Can you afford taxi's,as you shouldn't be on the road with or without broken suspension. Serious.

Arranged to lend mums car for work tomorrow now. Monday will get car taken to garage

pcnutta;5787023

Arranged to lend mums car for work tomorrow now. Monday will get car … Arranged to lend mums car for work tomorrow now. Monday will get car taken to garage

You arranged to borrow it.

pcnutta;5787002

Ohhhhhhhhhh right i got you, bloke didnt say that, he said it was the … Ohhhhhhhhhh right i got you, bloke didnt say that, he said it was the spring. i didnt realise it was linked like that.CheersAppreciate that. wont even drive it to garage.

It may be something else the person was referring to though as I'd have thought if it was something that would make the car undriveable he would have said - whenever I've seen a suspension coil break on a car the car has had to travel to a garage via a breakdown truck and get repaired as it's not possible to drive on the road. Whoever told you the coil is broken will be in the best position to advise you as we're just guessing here.

John

Original Poster

Johnmcl7;5787058

It may be something else the person was referring to though as I'd have … It may be something else the person was referring to though as I'd have thought if it was something that would make the car undriveable he would have said - whenever I've seen a suspension coil break on a car the car has had to travel to a garage via a breakdown truck and get repaired as it's not possible to drive on the road. Whoever told you the coil is broken will be in the best position to advise you as we're just guessing here.John

Im beginning to think that as well., I was in such a panic that i might have not heard him right.
    There was no mention of not being able to drive it so im guessing it wasnt the coil thing lol or i am sure he would have told me not to drive it.

Best be on safe side anyway and leave for mechanics to sort.

Thanks

If its only one coil off the spring it will be ok to drive
    :thumbsup:

Hi ive got a new shape vectra.Broken coil springs are the most common fault.
    I drove mine for 2000 mile with a broken one.
    A loud crack come bang and somthing bouncing below the car was a sign.LOL
    Had it fixed......Next week the other side went....So get both done at the same time..

A guy I know drove his Audi for months with a broken spring, bottom coil had snapped but other than it striking the speed bumps a bit harder he claimed no difference.... I guess if the spring had broken further up then it would have made a more dramatic difference.

mosskeeto;5787615

A guy I know drove his Audi for months with a broken spring, bottom coil … A guy I know drove his Audi for months with a broken spring, bottom coil had snapped but other than it striking the speed bumps a bit harder he claimed no difference.... I guess if the spring had broken further up then it would have made a more dramatic difference.

I had kind of the same problem, the bottom of the coil was chipped and made a crunching noise on speed bumps at 15mph, had to drive over at 10mph with nutters horning behind me for a good few months.

It might have slowly got worse but didn't notice any difference until a few weeks ago it started to feel a lot shakier at higher speeds, got a long road trip to do on Tuesday so got the spring replaced and the chip looked quite scary!

Got a Corsa and people say breaking coil springs is a common problem on them so luckily I got the spring changed before it caused me any other problems!

Original Poster

esq3585;5787256

If its only one coil off the spring it will be ok to drive:thumbsup:

Yep think thats what it is actually. Taking Car up garage at 1,00 and he said its fine to drive and wont take him 10mins to replace.

So i guess it wasnt what i thought it was!hahah
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?1420
      2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846154
      3. How dangerous is Donald trump?28128
      4. What are you loving on the BBC at the moment?63218

See more discussions