Will Netflix password crackdown stop us watching without a VPN

Posted 25th Jan 2023
I have as I'm sure many others have a Netflix account from another country.
Will the Netflix password sharing crackdown mean we cannot watch our subs without turning on a VPN first.
Mine is from Turkey but as I use it nearly all the time from the UK will they stop it working if it's not been used from country of origin???
Community Updates
New Comment

27 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    splatsplatsplat
    I never use a VPN with my turkey sub.
    DisagreeableRunt
    I take my turkey sub toasted on hearty Italian, cheese, jalapenos and olives. (edited)
    Paddy_o_furniture
    At this moment, no one knows. It's all about revenue so my guess would be they'll look at terminating accounts like this. I'm in exactly the same boat. Thing is if I don't get it cheap I won't have it at all.

I used to log in a couple of times a month on a Turkish VPN and just let a series play to itself. I haven't done that since last year though.
    baladar
    Agreed. If they do crack down on us, I will go without. They seem to be behaving as though they are still the only streaming game in town.
    ZeroCool360
    Turkish price has increased 3 times in less than 12 months. At this rate we'll be paying the same as the UK in no time
    bozo007
    The Turkish currency has also taken a huge hit thanks to the economic mess. Netflix's costs are mostly in $, so prices will go up when currency crashes in a big way.
    RealOldMonk
    If they do it, it will make my decision easy.. been thinking of stoping it, only reason I continue, because of cheap subscription I have.
    SaturdayGigs
    1 Jan 2023 16.00 GMT
    Netflix is expected to suffer a second year of falling subscriber numbers in the UK in 2023 as the cost of living crisis takes its toll and the streaming giant’s new cheaper, ad-supported service takes time to win over users.

The world’s biggest streaming service is expected to have lost about 500,000 UK subscribers in 2022 and to lose a further 200,000 this year, as increasingly budget-conscious consumers cut back on spending.

The company, which has cut staff and become more disciplined with its $17bn (£14bn) annual content budget after earlier this year reporting its first global subscriber declines in a decade, will have seen its UK user base drop from 14.2 million to 13.7 million this year, according to the research firm Ampere Analysis.

Netflix, the UK’s most popular service, is predicted to be the only major streamer to have lost subscribers in 2022. In 2021, the company gained 800,000 subscribers, its lowest since launching in the UK in 2012, as consumers approached “peak Netflix”.

The launch of Lord of the Rings spin-off The Rings of Power, the world’s most expensive TV show with the first series costing an eye-watering $465m (£336m), helped rival Amazon’s Prime Video grow its UK base from just over 12m to 12.3m accounts in 2022.

The only major service to maintain significant momentum is Disney+, the newest streaming superpower, launched in the UK in early 2020, which will report market-leading growth of 1.4 million subscribers to take its UK base to 6 million this year.
    tek-monkey
    I won't pay uk prices anyway, they either want my lira or they don't.
    Gollywood
    I'll have to move Istanbul
    BigBoss85
    How do you move a city
    MonkeyMan90
    I really can't see Netflix going ahead with this. They're already in a demise of less and less subscribers. This would just be the nail in the coffin.
    dipsylalapo
    That trend started to turn up the end of the last year - bbc.co.uk/new…098 (edited)
    timmyboy147
    Why are people talking about logging in and watching via a vpn?

I have had Turkish 4k 5 screens for 4 years and only needed the vpn on signup. Didn’t think much of it at the time, save a few quid. Over that time it’s saved me loads, and give it out to family members as well.
    ashmac
    Not this again , same story every year.

Is it not better to keep a paying customer sharing then no customer at all
    Easy.Action.Baby
    Agree. Netflix manages to get a similar story in the press every few months. Just trying to trigger guilt?
    CourseFinder
    We decide (as a family ) that if we can't share it and pay the 'Turkish or Pakistan' price we don't bother really . Got disney+ and 'Hbo max' happy with that
    Stormbringer2012 Author
    I've just tried a search on HBO Max on here for a readme and nothing came up have you managed to get it cheaper from abroad?
    If so do you have somewhere I can read about how to do it please.
    DisagreeableRunt
    I wouldn't subscribe to Netflix continuously if it was a tenner a month and I'm not doing without 4K in 2023. This stops, I stop! I'll just subscribe for a month or two here and there every once in a while to binge everything I want to watch. I barely use it, but at the TL price I don't mind it running continuously. Wait and see, if they crack down on password sharing and suscribing via another country, minimum contracts will be the next step they take.
    B_Marvel
    As long as it stays relatively niche, I doubt they would do anything about those who sign up in different countries.

People like us who went to the trouble are highly unlikely to pay the full price if they try to force it.

That will lead to a drop in sub and revenue which they wouldn't want right now.

Think of it as a permanent retention deal. Sky, BT, Virgin all do the same. They have the vast majority pay the full price and let a certain % keep their service at 50% or less. They would rather have that small % of people pay something rather than nothing.

I don't pirate anymore due to how cheap the services are to me. If they took them away, back to the high seas I go.
    angie555
    Just signed up to Netflix paying £10 a month,
    Yes, I should be ashamed of myself
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants